Ragtime

  • pesses2
    Message 1 of 826 , Mar 9, 2001
      �The events in our lives happen in a sequence in
      time, but in their significance to ourselves, they find
      their own order...the continuous thread of revelation.�
      - Eudora Welty<br><br>I am not quite finished with
      Ragtime, but I have read enough of it to not consider it a
      waste of time. I was really jazzed at the beginning, it
      was such a unique experience to read a book that
      intermingled historical events within the everyday lives of a
      family. <br>I was able to learn things I didn't know
      about history, and how those events might have felt to
      the people who were there at the time. <br>Each
      character had its own personality, I liked Mother, Father,
      the grandfather, and the little boy. Mother's Younger
      brother got on my nerves though. He seemed to be like
      Forrest Gump, at the center of every major happening of
      the day. <br>I think the book went downhill for me
      with the appearance of Coalhouse Walker. I had a hard
      time getting through one section, but then came
      through to the other side where you could feel what it
      might have been like to see a Buffalo nickel for the
      first time, much like everyone is going wild for the
      new quarters today. <br>To me it was like returning
      to a bygone era if only for a brief time, and
      capture the feelings and emotions of that day. <br>Lisa
    • kamonkey2001
      Message 826 of 826 , Apr 7 2:54 PM
        Jessie,

        There's a long list of links that appears at the left of the screen
        starting with "Home" and continuing until it gets down to "Calendar"
        which is the second to last entry in the list.

        I'm new here too but as I understand it there is an entry for the
        Alexandria Quartet in March (and no entry so far for April) because
        the group is going to be reading all four books of the series which
        will take a while.

        --Kathy

        --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@y..., "missemilyophelia"