James is not easy to read

  • classiclit231
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005
      Does anyone need an intro, a little jump start(but no spoilers) to
      help them get started on this work? Tom
    • Henry McFarland
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
        Tom,
        By all means post what you were thinking of. If anyone
        does not want to read it, they can ignore it.
        Henry

        --- classiclit231 <n815166j@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone need an intro, a little jump start(but
        > no spoilers) to
        > help them get started on this work? Tom

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • classiclit231
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2005
          Two art collectors, father and daughter, Adam verner and Maggie
          Verner are in Europe. They are wealthy Americans.

          Also on the scene: Prince Amerigo, who is penniless, and Charlotte,
          who is a dear friend of Maggie's.

          In this society, lurks a tattle-tale socialite named Fanny Assington
          (the name fits this creature!) She plays matchmaker. She initiates a
          relationship between Maggie and the Prince, then initiates a
          relationship between Adam and Charlotte.

          But there is a secret which lurks in a darker corner of this group.
          I can't tell you, but it's the pivotal element in the plot.

          James is the great court writer, long on description and dialogue,
          but short on getting to the point. In fact, some say he NEVER gets
          to the point, and most of what he writes is so vague, the reader is
          just not sure what to think.

          This is not an easy novel. It's his last work. Once you get the feel
          of it, you'll know how to speed it up: what to skip, what to read.
          With only a month to read it, you'll have to skip a lot of this
          novel, unless you are a speed-reader. I'm a speed-reader, but I
          can't speed through James!

          Good luck!! Tom

          --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, Henry