Re: [ModernLibrary 100 Greatest Books] Re: Out of stock and out of print

  • Dave Monroe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
      Well, there only needs to be one ed. in print at any
      given time, esp. when something's still in copyright,
      right? Brand new Penguin ed. this past fall ...

      http://www.penguinputnam.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,0_0142437999,00.html

      I suppose it's not likely that each and every GG novel
      will be in stock everywhere at any given time, but
      this one should of course be readily available. And
      yr better used bookstores often have the better part
      of a shelf full of Graham Greene novels, so ...

      By the way, there have been a couple of adaptations
      (film, TV) ...

      http://imdb.com/title/tt0047066/

      http://imdb.com/title/tt0085658/

      ... but I've seen neither. I oughtta read the novel,
      at least, so ...

      --- James A Paris <solnabanya@...> wrote:

      > There are scads of used copies available on
      > http://half.ebay.com or you can order it from
      > http://www.amazon.com and specify fast shipping.
      > I myself find that most bookstore clerks are mines
      > of misinformation, mostly calculated to make sure
      > you get from no one but them.
      >
      > --- "crmnsrnn" <crmnsrnn@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I went to purchase The Heart Of The Matter by
      > > Graham Greene out my local book store and they
      > > were out of stock and for the most part all but
      > > one edition was out of print, which I found
      > > interesting. I joined the group just before the
      > > Dec. novel, which did not receive much attention.
      > > So I am looking forward to getting involved in
      > > this novel; assuming that I can find a copy with
      > > in the next week or so.

      http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
    • Kathy Vidovich
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
        Hello C,

        You can get a copy from Amazon cheap. For a used copy, in fact, you could
        end up paying more for the postage than for the book:

        "http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140283323/qid=1104606541/sr=2-1/ref
        =pd_ka_b_2_1/102-6875343-2416149"

        My own copy is on reserve at the library, and I'll probably get it this
        week.

        --Kathy

        I went to purchase The Heart Of The Matter by Graham Greene out my
        local book store and they were out of stock and for the most part
        all but one edition was out of print, which I found interesting. I
        joined the group just before the Dec. novel, which did not receive
        much attention. So I am looking forward to getting involved in this
        novel; assuming that I can find a copy with in the next week or so.

        This group is a member of The Literature Reading Circle at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Kathy Vidovich
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2005
          Jim,

          Sorry about that. I posted my duplicate info/response before I read your
          email.

          I had better go scratch that business about "developing more patience" off
          my resolution list right now. ;-)

          --Kathy
          I myself find that most bookstore clerks are mines of misinformation,
          mostly calculated to make sure you get from no one but them.

          Jim Paris

          --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, "crmnsrnn"
          <crmnsrnn@y...> wrote:

          > I went to purchase The Heart Of The Matter by Graham Greene out my
          > local book store and they were out of stock and for the most part
          > all but one edition was out of print, which I found interesting. I
          > joined the group just before the Dec. novel, which did not receive
          > much attention. So I am looking forward to getting involved in this
          > novel; assuming that I can find a copy with in the next week or so.

          This group is a member of The Literature Reading Circle at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LiteratureReadingCircle

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Patty
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
            You must be the one ahead of me on the list! At least I know there is more
            than one copy. I checked and there is one in the sorting process right now
            at Central, so that must be going to you.
            Patty

            At 11:46 AM 1/1/2005 -0800, you wrote:
            >My own copy is on reserve at the library, and I'll probably get it this
            >week.
            >
            >--Kathy

          • Kathy Vidovich
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
              Patty, I picked up my copy this weekend, but it may be me: perhaps it's
              still officially marked as in the sorting process. I'm sure you'll get your
              copy soon too. :-)

              --Kathy