Mailer

  • emd233
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 12, 2004
      Has anyone finished the Mailer book, Naked and the Dead I think? I
      read it a few months ago and was much better than I thought it would
      be.

      Elizabeth
    • llednew_5
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2004
        I read 'The Naked and the Dead' years ago when I was perhaps a young
        man of twenty, and I thought the writing was brilliant. Mailer has
        such a straightforward, no-bullshit style that impressed me. The
        novel really awakened me in ways I can't adequately describe to the
        horrors of war. I don't remember too many details, but the overall
        impression I got has stayed with me. I read such novels as Catch 22
        and Slaughterhouse 5 as a much older person with perhaps (hopefully)
        a more mature outlook. I would have to say that these three books
        along with Hemingway's 'A Farewell to Arms' and 'For Whom the Bell
        Tolls' have probably influenced my thinking about the nature of man's
        relationship with mankind more than anything.

        Love,
        Wendell

        --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, "emd233"