Pale fire just started

  • jenilla7
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
      I just started Pale Fire and am finding it interesting and amusing
      so far. I read the foreword and started reading the commentary and
      the poem together as Kimbote himself suggested in the foreword. My
      first impressions of Kimbote was that he is quite a lonely man,
      whose main interest is picking up young boys. I haven't quite
      figured out why he is so faschinated in Shade but I suppose that
      will become apparent as I read the commentary. Obviously Kimbote is
      very conceited and Shade is not the least bit interested in him. I
      wonder if he is aware of this or else what reason he has to convey
      in the foreword to the poem 'pale fire' that they were 'best
      friends'.

      I suppose that everybody else here have finished the book and may
      not be able to answer my questions without giving away the end. I've
      read some of the posts on pale fire but have skipped the ones with
      spoilers. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.

      Jenny
    • hecon_99
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 3, 2004
        Jemmy:
        I'm glad you like the book too. It's unusual, but I found it grabbed me.
        I think you are right about Kimbote. I think part (not all) of the
        fascination with Shade is that Shade truly is talented. I think the
        shorter Shade poem half way through (about) the commentary is very good.
        Other reasons for the interet in Shade will show up, but I won't spoil
        them.
        Henry
        --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, jenilla7
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > I just started Pale Fire and am finding it interesting and amusing
        > so far. I read the foreword and started reading the commentary and
        > the poem together as Kimbote himself suggested in the foreword. My
        > first impressions of Kimbote was that he is quite a lonely man,
        > whose main interest is picking up young boys. I haven't quite
        > figured out why he is so faschinated in Shade but I suppose that
        > will become apparent as I read the commentary. Obviously Kimbote is
        > very conceited and Shade is not the least bit interested in him. I
        > wonder if he is aware of this or else what reason he has to convey
        > in the foreword to the poem 'pale fire' that they were 'best
        > friends'.
        >
        > I suppose that everybody else here have finished the book and may
        > not be able to answer my questions without giving away the end. I've
        > read some of the posts on pale fire but have skipped the ones with
        > spoilers. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.
        >
        > Jenny
      • jenilla7
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
          I have now read the first part of the poem and the first part of the
          commentary. And I must admit that I don't like it much. I found it
          amusing at first, but really, it's just boring me. Perhaps I've
          gotten out of the habit of reading this type of book but I'm
          seriously considering giving up since I'm not finding much of
          interest. Should I continue?

          Jenny

          --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, hecon_99
          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Jemmy:
          > I'm glad you like the book too. It's unusual, but I found it
          grabbed me.
          > I think you are right about Kimbote. I think part (not all) of the
          > fascination with Shade is that Shade truly is talented. I think the
          > shorter Shade poem half way through (about) the commentary is very
          good.
          > Other reasons for the interet in Shade will show up, but I won't
          spoil
          > them.
          > Henry
          > --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, jenilla7
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > I just started Pale Fire and am finding it interesting and
          amusing
          > > so far. I read the foreword and started reading the commentary
          and
          > > the poem together as Kimbote himself suggested in the foreword.
          My
          > > first impressions of Kimbote was that he is quite a lonely man,
          > > whose main interest is picking up young boys. I haven't quite
          > > figured out why he is so faschinated in Shade but I suppose that
          > > will become apparent as I read the commentary. Obviously Kimbote
          is
          > > very conceited and Shade is not the least bit interested in him.
          > > wonder if he is aware of this or else what reason he has to
          convey
          > > in the foreword to the poem 'pale fire' that they were 'best
          > > friends'.
          > >
          > > I suppose that everybody else here have finished the book and may
          > > not be able to answer my questions without giving away the end.
          I've
          > > read some of the posts on pale fire but have skipped the ones
          with
          > > spoilers. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.
          > >
          > > Jenny
        • hecon_99
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
            Jenny:
            You could skip the rest of the poem--you don't really need it for the
            rest of the book. The book is quirky; Nabokov is playing games with
            style here, and that will leave some people cold. I thought the
            commentary section picked up as it went on, so maybe you should get a
            little deeper in before deciding these particular games don't
            interest you.

            If you do find yourself still bored, join me in reading the next
            book, Portnoy's Complaint. It isn't boring. In fact it is hilarious.
            (also raunchy). Has anyone else started Portnoy?
            <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I have now read the first part of the poem and the first part of
            the
            > commentary. And I must admit that I don't like it much. I found it
            > amusing at first, but really, it's just boring me. Perhaps I've
            > gotten out of the habit of reading this type of book but I'm
            > seriously considering giving up since I'm not finding much of
            > interest. Should I continue?
            >
            > Jenny
            >
            > --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, hecon_99
            > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > Jemmy:
            > > I'm glad you like the book too. It's unusual, but I found it
            > grabbed me.
            > > I think you are right about Kimbote. I think part (not all) of the
            > > fascination with Shade is that Shade truly is talented. I think
            the
            > > shorter Shade poem half way through (about) the commentary is
            very
            > good.
            > > Other reasons for the interet in Shade will show up, but I won't
            > spoil
            > > them.
            > > Henry
            > > --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, jenilla7
            > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > > I just started Pale Fire and am finding it interesting and
            > amusing
            > > > so far. I read the foreword and started reading the commentary
            > and
            > > > the poem together as Kimbote himself suggested in the foreword.
            > My
            > > > first impressions of Kimbote was that he is quite a lonely man,
            > > > whose main interest is picking up young boys. I haven't quite
            > > > figured out why he is so faschinated in Shade but I suppose
            that
            > > > will become apparent as I read the commentary. Obviously
            Kimbote
            > is
            > > > very conceited and Shade is not the least bit interested in
            him.
            > > > wonder if he is aware of this or else what reason he has to
            > convey
            > > > in the foreword to the poem 'pale fire' that they were 'best
            > > > friends'.
            > > >
            > > > I suppose that everybody else here have finished the book and
            may
            > > > not be able to answer my questions without giving away the end.
            > I've
            > > > read some of the posts on pale fire but have skipped the ones
            > with
            > > > spoilers. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.
            > > >
            > > > Jenny
          • ljmccrea
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
              I started reading it last night and it is very funny. I'm eager
              to see where it is going.
              Lisa

              > If you do find yourself still bored, join me in reading the next
              > book, Portnoy's Complaint. It isn't boring. In fact it is hilarious.
              > (also raunchy). Has anyone else started Portnoy?
              > Henry
            • elizabeth davis
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
                I finished Portnoy's Complaint. Because of the
                raunchiness I really didn't enjoy it very much. But I
                did finish it in a couple of days so maybe I liked it
                more than I thought.

                I love any portrayal of Jewish life, Chaim Potak's
                books are some of my favorite. I liked Roth's style,
                does anyone know another book of his that my not be so
                raunchy?

                > If you do find yourself still bored, join me in
                > reading the next
                > book, Portnoy's Complaint. It isn't boring. In fact
                > it is hilarious.
                > (also raunchy). Has anyone else started Portnoy?

              • Kathy Vidovich
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
                  Lisa and Henry,

                  I read Portnoy years ago and I'm not planning on re-reading it. I was young
                  at the time and it seemed REALLY raunchy to me, so I don't think I have a
                  very balanced memory of what the book is like. I'm looking forward to
                  hearing more of your discussion.

                  --Kathy

                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > I have now read the first part of the poem and the first part of
                  the
                  > commentary. And I must admit that I don't like it much. I found it
                  > amusing at first, but really, it's just boring me. Perhaps I've
                  > gotten out of the habit of reading this type of book but I'm
                  > seriously considering giving up since I'm not finding much of
                  > interest. Should I continue?
                  >
                  > Jenny
                  >
                  > --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, hecon_99
                  > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > Jemmy:
                  > > I'm glad you like the book too. It's unusual, but I found it
                  > grabbed me.
                  > > I think you are right about Kimbote. I think part (not all) of the
                  > > fascination with Shade is that Shade truly is talented. I think
                  the
                  > > shorter Shade poem half way through (about) the commentary is
                  very
                  > good.
                  > > Other reasons for the interet in Shade will show up, but I won't
                  > spoil
                  > > them.
                  > > Henry
                  > > --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, jenilla7
                  > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > > > I just started Pale Fire and am finding it interesting and
                  > amusing
                  > > > so far. I read the foreword and started reading the commentary
                  > and
                  > > > the poem together as Kimbote himself suggested in the foreword.
                  > My
                  > > > first impressions of Kimbote was that he is quite a lonely man,
                  > > > whose main interest is picking up young boys. I haven't quite
                  > > > figured out why he is so faschinated in Shade but I suppose
                  that
                  > > > will become apparent as I read the commentary. Obviously
                  Kimbote
                  > is
                  > > > very conceited and Shade is not the least bit interested in
                  him.
                  > > > wonder if he is aware of this or else what reason he has to
                  > convey
                  > > > in the foreword to the poem 'pale fire' that they were 'best
                  > > > friends'.
                  > > >
                  > > > I suppose that everybody else here have finished the book and
                  may
                  > > > not be able to answer my questions without giving away the end.
                  > I've
                  > > > read some of the posts on pale fire but have skipped the ones
                  > with
                  > > > spoilers. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.
                  > > >
                  > > > Jenny

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • ljmccrea
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
                    I enjoy raunchy to an extent so I imagine I will continue to
                    enjoy Portnoy.
                    lisa

                  • hecon_99
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 12, 2004
                      The only other Roth I have read is Ghost Writer. It was a long time
                      ago, but I recall it as very good and not very raunchy at all
                      (particularly next to Portnoy).
                      We do not seem to have a set schedule herre, Anita. The general
                      intention (sort of) is to read one book from the top 100 list a month
                      going from 100 to 1. By my calculations, that makes January's book
                      Portnoy's Complaint. But if you want to read Pale Fire first, we'd be
                      intereseted in your comments on it.
                      We do seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for Portnoy though. That's
                      good--itseems the wrong book for solitary reading.
                      Henry
                      --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@yahoogroups.com, elizabeth davis
                      <emd233@y...> wrote:
                      > I finished Portnoy's Complaint. Because of the
                      > raunchiness I really didn't enjoy it very much. But I
                      > did finish it in a couple of days so maybe I liked it
                      > more than I thought.
                      >
                      > I love any portrayal of Jewish life, Chaim Potak's
                      > books are some of my favorite. I liked Roth's style,
                      > does anyone know another book of his that my not be so
                      > raunchy?
                      > >
                      > > If you do find yourself still bored, join me in
                      > > reading the next
                      > > book, Portnoy's Complaint. It isn't boring. In fact
                      > > it is hilarious.
                      > > (also raunchy). Has anyone else started Portnoy?

                    • Anita
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 13, 2004
                        Thank you Henry~
                        I will be starting with Portnoy and look forward to reading the posts.
                        ~Anita