Re: Sheltering Sky

  • kyrk501
    Message 1 of 826 , Aug 3, 2000
      This seems like another existential novel to me.
      I saw the relationships Bowles described as
      secondary to another premise: the inherent loneliness,
      alienation and misunderstanding implicit in the human
      condition. I take "the sheltering sky" to represent a broad
      spectrum of those devices which humans employ as
      self-preservations against the full brunt of these conditions.
      how real is it? What does it take for the illusion to
      crumble? After all, the sky is not really there as a real
      thing -- its an illusory barrier created by sensory
      perception (unless you want to call the atmosphere a shelter
      against the emptiness of space). In the same way, our
      social consensus, our laws, customs and expectations of
      civility and reasonableness are abstract -- they may
      dissolve quickly like gases, given apocalyptic or
      persistently unfamiliar conditions, such as Kit, Port and the
      others faced (but especially Kit and Port). What's
      behind the sheltering sky? Nothing. Meaninglessness.
      That's the problem.<br><br>-Kirk
    • kamonkey2001
      Message 826 of 826 , Apr 7, 2002
        Jessie,

        There's a long list of links that appears at the left of the screen
        starting with "Home" and continuing until it gets down to "Calendar"
        which is the second to last entry in the list.

        I'm new here too but as I understand it there is an entry for the
        Alexandria Quartet in March (and no entry so far for April) because
        the group is going to be reading all four books of the series which
        will take a while.

        --Kathy

        --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@y..., "missemilyophelia"