October Reading List (Multiple Posting)

  • Michael Parker
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1 10:18 PM
      Taken from ACOR ( http://homepage.mac.com/mparker_46/ACOR ), here are the
      titles I read during October (you may recall that my TBR list at the
      beginning of the month included few of these titles).

      Mike in New Jersey

      --
      "Only 10 percent of computer users are Mac users, but remember, we are the
      top 10 percent." -- Douglas Adams

      October

      * Adam Bede -- George Eliot ****
      [new book from Borders]
      The author tells a good story and I appreciate the leisurely narrative style
      in the midst of today's post-modern confusion. It struck me that Eliot's
      novels are easily reduced to a few short sentences stating the plot and it
      is almost magical how the author effectively expands the story to over 500
      pages. I personally like this text more than The Mill on the Floss which I
      read last month.

      * Real Time -- Amit Chaudhuri **
      [local library]
      An uneven collection of stories by a new Indian author. Some good, some
      pedestrian, some tedious. Not up to the level of the fiction being written
      by other young Indian authors.

      * Hunger -- Lan Samantha Chang ***
      [local library]
      A wonderful collection of short fiction with the title novella being a
      standout in the tradition of Banana Yoshimoto.

      * The Bridegroom -- Ha Jin ***
      [local library]
      An excellent collection of short stories by an excellent author. Ha Jin,
      unlike many of the current batch of Chinese, Japanese and Indian authors, is
      free to explore other topics than just his home country.

      * A Clockwork Orange -- Anthony Burgess ****
      [daughter's copy]
      Wonderful! The author complains that this title has overtaken all his other
      good work. I agree but it shouldn't detract from the power of this novel.
      The author has created a truly unique world with unique characters and even
      a unique language. A must read.

      * On the Ceiling -- Eric Chevillard ****
      [local library]
      This French author is decidedly unique. Au Plafond is the story of a man who
      moves into the apartment of his girl friend's family and when things get too
      crowded, moves to the ceiling with his own small band of friends. A bit
      absurd but excellent. I'm requesting other titles by this author but not all
      have been translated into English.

      * Yin Fire -- Alexandra Grilikhes ***
      [local library]
      An unabashedly lesbian novel but thankfully not too graphic. The author is
      also a poet and sometimes the prose is just too lilting for the subject
      matter. Interesting though.

      * Gould -- Stephen Dixon ***
      [local library]
      A novel in two novels. The first tells the tale of a man who arranges to
      sleep with and impregnate several women, most ending in abortions (yes, he's
      a real cad). The second focuses on a single relationship. Dixon is growing
      on me. On to Frog.

      Good quote: "That most of the books he read were written not to be read but
      only to be written about they we so obscure, pedantic, longwinded and dull."

      * Spanking the Maid -- Robert Coover ****
      [new book from B&N]
      Yes, it's good old S&M but very imaginatively related. My first Coover and
      he is now high on my list. You can see the influence of the nuevelle roman
      but without being too obscure. This is a short one and worth trying. Don't
      worry; it's not too naughty.

      * ABC of Reading -- Ezra Pound *****
      [my copy from the '60s]
      The text that defined modernism. Now I'm just re-reading it to regain some
      sanity amidst all this post-modernism and deconstruction. I think Ezra was
      right.

      * The Writer's Digest Handbook of Short Story Writing
      [my copy from ???]
      A standard collection of short articles by established writers purporting to
      let you in on the well-worn secrets of authorship.

      * The Whore's Child and Other Stories -- Richard Russo ***
      [local library]
      Just what you'd expect from the author; well written, interesting, but not
      exciting.