Modern to the 20th Power

  • Jeffrey Pawlowski
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2007
      Chris and Charles haven't posted here about this product, so I'll rave
      about it for them :)

      RPG Objects has been a leader in great D20 Modern material. I love
      the material and it has been one of my deepest desires to get my
      gaming group over to do some Modern themed RPGing. The one major
      thing about D20 Modern was that it was cumbersome and a bit lacking in
      so many different areas. Basic/Advanced/Prestige classes alone was
      enough to break most of my die-hard players.

      Charles Rice must be in my brain somehow (first with Legends of the
      Samurai when I longed for a decent replacement for Oriental
      Adventures) and came up with a brilliantly redesigned D20 inspired
      gaming engine for Modern themes, called Modern^20 (Modern with a
      little 20 in the upper right).

      As a person that has been known to range from Millennium's End for
      complexity down to Amazing Engine for simplicity (or even Teenagers
      From Outer Space if it counts as a "Modern" themed game), Modern^20
      seems to hit the right balance for fast-paced and light, but still
      realistic enough to handle firearms.

      My greatest hope now is a quick D20 Modern to Modern^20 conversion
      document so that I can more easily utilize all of my other D20 Modern
      material.

      The system, in my own testing, seems to run very well. The rules
      desperately need an index in the back for quick reference and rules or
      text reference that link the Hit Locations table and "Called Shot"
      don't seem to exist to meld those features. (Like what happens when a
      called shot misses?)

      A small "GDK" (Game Developer Kit, idea stolen from SDK for software)
      would also be incredibly useful so that you could easily generate
      stats for new firearms (think Guns, Guns, Guns by BTRC, but just for
      Modern^20) and races and special FX balancing (or maybe this should be
      part of the D20 Modern conversion document?).

      Even with my small gripes, this is an incredible accomplishment. A
      few tweaks here and there (plug-ins?) and I can do what I really want
      with my campaign and players.

      Jeff Pawlowski
    • Dave