Head to Head: Roaring 20s vs. Thrilling Tales

  • Michael Schell
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2006
      I just bought Roaring 20s from RPGNow and as I was reading it, I
      couldn't help but compare some of the material with that presented in
      Thrilling Tales. I would have been more enthused in getting RPObjects
      foray into material for D20 Past if it were not for the fact that
      Adamant Entertainment's Thrilling Tales has gratified my cravings for
      this general time frame more than anything else than I have
      encountered. Unfortunately, Roaring 20s is just not as good in some
      aspects as Thrilling Tales. The new starting occupations are OK, but
      nothing to really sell the product, for that we need to go to the
      feats and advanced classes. Five "new" advanced classes are presented
      in this product although three of which have already been done by
      Thrilling Tales. The G-Man invokes images of Kevin Costner's
      portrayal of Elliot Ness in the Untouchables. Nice but Thrilling
      Tales has the same type among its advanced classes and personally I
      prefer Adamant's G-Man to RPObjects. Next we get the Hitman the
      Enforcer/Assassin of organized crime. This is actually a good
      advanced class and for my money, it helps justify the purchase of the
      pdf as a whole. After the Hitman comes the Intrepid Reporter a role
      already well covered by the Ace Reporter from Thrilling Tales. Sorry
      to say but the Ace Reporter trumps the Intrepid Reporter in my
      estimation. Moving on we get the Mob Boss advanced class which is the
      other new class to me at least. All in all a faithfull representation
      of some members of the Mafia organization. You could probably use
      this one in our Modern day era with few if any changes. The last of
      the advanced classes is the Mystery Man which is almost on par with
      Adamant's Man of Mystery advanced class. Personally I would truly
      consider combining these two advanced classes in any game I would GM
      swapping out certain features of Adamant's slightly superior Man of
      Mystery class for features of the Mystery Man. Not to mention adding
      some the Mystery Man's prerequisited to Man of Mystery. Feats form
      the final piece of the selling point in favor of this product. Well
      thought out although some look altered from D20 Past they do improve
      the game and give more options although especially if the GM doesn't
      have D20 Past. The weapons and vehicles were unnecessary as I
      probably have most to all of them already in my D20 Past book but
      them along with a timeline are given as a finisher to the product.
      Bottom line for Roaring 20s is that it is worth getting, but it's
      better used to supplement and enhance Thrilling Tales as opposed to
      replacing it.
    • steelwhisper2112
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2006
        As the guy who wrote Roaring 20's I don't have a problem with
        anything you said. The purpose of the product wasn't an attempt to
        replace Thrilling Tales or even compete with it. We're planning
        a "Timeline" sourcebook for each decade of the 20th century to
        support our time travel offering Blood and Time, which will be
        released monday.

        As a long time fan of mob literature and film, especially the old
        Untouchables tv series and David Mamet's movie about the same, I did
        this one first and due to the vagaries of production schedules it was
        actually released first.

        The only thing I'd point out is that there is a fair amount of cream
        to go with the crunch you covered so ably, including a timeline and
        adventure hooks for the period.

        These were actually my reason for writing the book. The classes were
        added later to allow the book to stand alone and/or serve as a
        historical supplement.

        To sum up, given the amount of material and how well it's been
        received, I'm not surprised some of this has been covered elsewhere.
        I didn't try to hit classes Gareth and co. had, nor did I try to
        ignore them. The classes were simply to allow the book to stand on
        its own if the purchaser wished to do that, and using the book to
        supplement Thrilling Tales seems like a fine use of the book to me.

        Chuck

        --- In modern20@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Schell" <FenrysStar@...>

      • FenrysStar@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6, 2006
          It was well worth getting and the Dramatis Personae added even more material to keep around as well as some stock NPCs. Although there are a couple of things I keep wondering when both are used in conjunction with D20 Past and the few kernels of good stuff I found. Your timeline of events is VERY informative the capsulated information is almost worth half the cover price in of itself. But I'm a history junkie among other things, not mention a retro sci-fi junkie despite the fact that all the movies include the B- movies that I am craving now with aliens and FX the cheesier the better and a junkie for old time radio programs like the Shadow, the Green Hornet, Fibber McGee and Molly, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy (I find Mortimer Snerd more entertaining than Charlie though), The Jack Benny Program, The Great Gildersleeve and Arch Obler's Lights Out Everybody! To give everyone a perspective on this, I was born in the summer of '72 and was exposed to old time radio young by accident when I stumbled on a nightly radio program that rebroadcasted some of the old programs, probably for folks older than I but I fell in love with the shows none the less. Later I discovered the old serials and my interest in ancient media was solidified. I think eventually I'm going to be getting Radar Men from the Moon on DVD and eventually I will buying more of the older movies on DVD to enjoy and use as the basis of my own campaigns that I have in the planning stages.

          I'm also a furry and I'm doing a lot of thinking on how to integrate Moreaus into all of this. As one might surmise, the garbonzo attitudes of the pulps makes that desire easier than pure historical. I'm also thinking of running retro space opera, Ronin Arts, I salute you for the retro rockets pdf you did and I solemnly promise to buy more in the future when you crank them out. I've bought into your starships series so I knew I was getting quality. I'm also thinking of figuring out how to do some of that other really cheesy goodness of schlock sci-fi if for no other reason than make retro versions of the classic alien races. Which reminds me, I may have to start looking for display cases for my Rocket Men CCG collection via WizKids. Although speaking of cheesy sci-fi, what does everyone think of adding beholders to the mix as a kind of alien invaders?
        • Philip Reed
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2006
            FenrysStar@... wrote:
            I'm also thinking of running retro space opera, Ronin Arts, I salute you for the retro rockets pdf you did and I solemnly promise to buy more in the future when you crank them out. I've bought into your starships series so I knew I was getting quality.

            Thank you. To be clear Gareth wrote the first release (and I'm hoping that he'll write a few more issues in the series . . . I had fun working on it). I want to give this first issue a little time before diving into additional issues but if it does well then there will definitely be more releases in the series. (And you'll probably enjoy True20 Retro Space when I finish it.)

            Philip Reed
            www.philipjreed.com/php
            www.roninarts.com

          • FenrysStar@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 6, 2006
              In a message dated 5/6/2006 6:16:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time, roninartspresident@... writes:
              Thank you. To be clear Gareth wrote the first release (and I'm hoping that he'll write a few more issues in the series . . . I had fun working on it). I want to give this first issue a little time before diving into additional issues but if it does well then there will definitely be more releases in the series. (And you'll probably enjoy True20 Retro Space when I finish it.)

              More Retro Sci-Fi goodness. Just something about it is so much fun to think on. We're supposed to have flying cars by now...Where the Freak are they?  ;)