Re: Up-coming Change to the Yahoo! Groups Invite Feature

  • jheldt@yahoo-inc.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2008
      Because I've received a number of emails with the same questions, I wanted to take the opportunity to post answers for all to see:

      Q. What about closed groups? I'm a listowner of a closed group and the only way to add members is for me to send an invitation from the website.
      A. You can still invite members by sending an invitation from your group; you just can't personalize the invitation. If you wish to send a personal message with an invitation, you might send a heads up via email prior to sending the group invite.

      Q. Why not reinstate the feature and just limit to number of addresses in each invite to say 5 or something?
      A. Putting in such a low limit would impact all users using the feature and still would not stop the spammers exploiting the custom message feature.

      Q. What about the "add" feature? Will we still be able to do that?
      A. The add feature and the invite feature will work the same in that the ability to write a custom message will be removed for the same reasons.

      Q. Punishing all Yahoo groups because of a minority of 'bad actors' within Yahoo groups is just plain silly. Why can Yahoo just close down the Yahoo group that is abusing the invite feature?
      A. Closing down abusing groups does not solve the problem as these spammers just create new groups at a very rapid pace.

      Please post any additional questions to the Groups blog: http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/?p=64

      Thank you.