Re: Announcement: Upcoming upgrade of Yahoo! Groups Calendar

  • Ashish Parnami
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2012
      Correction to the link I shared for 'Yahoo! Groups help Community': http://help.yahoo.com/communities/index?page=forums&y=PROD_GRPS&locale=en_US .

      Thanks,
      Ashish

    • moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2012
        Hi All,
        I wanted to clarify few questions which I have seen our community forum
        regarding this upgrade of Calendar.
        1) Access to Editing and Deleting Events: Classic Calendar used to work
        on a model where members could edit or delete only those events which
        they had added to Group calendar. This is not the case with new
        calendar. With new calendar, all users who have edit access on calendar
        (access setting as Members, Public), have same add/edit/delete rights.
        They have same access to all the events in Group calendar irrespective
        of who added those events.
        So, if your group is set to allow members to add/edit calendar events,
        so we highly recommend that owners and moderators educate their members
        about how this feature works so as not to accidently delete events
        created by other group members. For large groups we recommend that only
        the owners and moderators be able to make adjustments to events and give
        members just read access.
        2) Ability to Set Reminders for Group EventsClassic Calendar used to
        allow group members to add reminders, for whole group, at individual
        event level. With new upgrade this ability was removed and the reminders
        are being added based on Group Calendar's default reminder setting
        (which was not available with Classic Calendar). Based on yoru feedback
        we acknowledge this is a big limitation for Groups and we are bringing
        changing the current behavior. With our next release in next couple of
        days, you will again have an ability to set/edit reminders, for whole
        group, at individual event level. After few days, we will do another
        release which will start pre-populating the reminder intervals, when
        creating event into a Groups Calendar, from Groups default reminder
        setting. But you will still be able to override it manually. If you
        create an event in inline mode (instead of 'Add Event' pop-up screen)
        then system will automatically pick up reminder settings for Groups
        Calendar and apply it to the event.
        3) Missing reminders for some groupsApologies that this issue has come
        again for some groups. Our engineers are looking into this issue at
        priority and I expect this to be fixed really soon. Reminders for events
        is the most critical feature and please stay assured that this will
        remain available with new calendar as well. Also, with Classic Calendar
        the event reminders used to reach all group members, similar to any
        other message, and this is the case with new calendar as well.
        4) Missing events for some groups after migrationWe have looked into all
        such reports have figured out that by mistake, some members have deleted
        events for group. This links back to point 1 above. So we request you to
        please educate your group member about this feature change and if
        required, change the access level for Calendar for your Group to limit
        the edit access to a small number of people.
        Regards,Ashish

        \

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2012
          Hi All,

          I wanted to inform you all that the reminders issue has been fixed. You should start getting reminders for your groups events again.

          Thanks,
          Ashish
          Sent from my iPhone

          On 08-Jun-2012, at 10:11 AM, "moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com<mailto:moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com>" <moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com<mailto:moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:

          --- In moderatorcentral@yahoogroups.com<mailto:moderatorcentral%40yahoogroups.com>, "Ashish Parnami" <aparnami@...>

          n_US<http://help.yahoo.com/communities/index?page=forums&y=PROD_GRPS&locale=en_US> .

          fcbb52a1aa7d890c557<http://help.yahoo.com/communities/index?page=forums&topic=1b8551cb13e94fcbb52a1aa7d890c557>) on this forum. We would be actively listening to

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 19, 2012
            Hi All,

            Sorry I couldn't be more active on this thread for last few days but we have been reading your comments, complains and suggestions on all forums. I realize that for few groups the upgrade has been a bit rough and our team has been working on fixing the issues/concerned raise by you. Here is an update to what we have been working on based on your feedback.

            1) Setting Reminders at each event level: We initially rolled out the upgrade with no ability to set/edit reminders at individual event level and it used to default it from Groups Calendar setting. We realized that it was limiting the use of Groups calendar for larger groups and we have now brought back the Classic calendar feature of allowing reminder setting at individual event level. Note: There was some problem with this change for 3-4 days when you were able to select the reminder on the 'Add Event' screen but it was not saving in some cases. This has been resolved and this feature should work well now.

            2) All day event shifting by -1 day: In some cases where group members were spread across TimeZones quite far apart, some members were seeing the all day events on wrong date (-1 day). This issue has been resolved now.

            3) Groups Calendar Layer turned on by default on Web Calendar: We were turning on the Groups Calendar Layer by default when added to your personal calendar. We heard that this was causing noise to many users. So we are going to by default turn it off for groups which still needs to be upgraded. Users will need to manually turn off the calendars for groups which have already been migrated.

            4) Groups Calendar sync on Mobile: Currently there is no control to disallow syncing of a Groups Calendar to your mobile phone. User could turn off the Calendar display on the Mobile but still reminders at odd times kept of coming. We are going to make a change (in next few days) to control syncing of Calendar layers from the same control as you have on Web version. So if a user turns off a Calendar Layer on Web (calendar.yahoo.com) then that layer will not be synced on Mobile going forward. This way users can control which Groups Calendar layer they want to sync to their mobile device.

            5) Missing Events with Upgrade: In initial few reports we found out that one of the Group member had deleted the events for group by mistake (I hope). But in some other cases we found that due to an issue some of the groups were migrated without old events data. The group owners need not worry about this as their groups calendar data is backed up and we are in the process of restoring calendars for those groups as I write.

            6) Recurring Events converting to Single Events: For a small subset of groups, some of their recurring events got converted to single events with upgrade. We know the list of impacted groups and we will be reaching out to them individually for helping them restore/fix the impacted events.

            I sincerely thank all of you for your patience while to work through some of the issues you are reporting and implement some of the changes you are suggesting.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 16, 2012
              Hi All,

              We have received reports from some groups that their event times are shifting after saving. Our team is aware of this issue and is working on a fix as I write. We hope to push a fix for this very soon. Apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to this issue.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
                Hi All,

                I just wanted to share that we have fixed the issue of event times shifting after saving the event.

                Thanks,
                Ashish