emails being rejected for "policy reasons" and applications back online

  • moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2011
      A couple of updates we wanted folks to be aware of:

      First, we have made some change recently to block the ability of spammers to post to groups by "spoofing" the email addresses of real group members.

      However, a side effect of these changes is that some legitimate messages could be blocked, particularly if a user is posting via an "external email client" that does not have its SMTP configuration set to correctly identify the source of the message.

      You will know if your messages are being affected by this problem if you receive a bounce message letting you know that your email has been rejected for "policy reasons" or "community guidelines violations".

      You can learn more about this issue, and how to correctly configure your SMTP settings, here:
      http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/troubleshooting/ygcuflow-35.html

      Meanwhile, our apologies for any inconvenience this change has caused. But the good news is that the fix has enabled us to block tens of millions of messages from spammers that otherwise may have successfully posted to groups.

      2. Belated notice that the problem with Applications described here has been resolved:

      The problem was actually resolved the day after the original message was posted.

      Thank you,

      The Yahoo! Groups Team