delayed messages

  • moderatorcentral-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2011
      Because of a problem related to the fix to our MTA servers last week, one of the servers, which was supposed to be fully offline, was still accepting messages (but not sending them out).

      As a consequence, approximately 7% of messages that entered Groups last week were never actually posted to the group archive or distributed via email. This includes messages that were sent via email, through posts on the site, as well as messages that moderators approved.

      The good news is that the problem should now be fully resolved and no messages sent today (7/18) should be affected. In addition, the messages that were stuck on the "out of rotation" server are being posted to the group archive and emailed out.

      The bad news is that because of the sheer number of messages that were stuck, it's going to take at least another day for these messages to all be sent and some of the sent messages will then have been delayed for up to a week. Plus, given this long delay, some users will have reposted the messages themselves to the group already, which means that the delayed message will then seem like a duplicate when it arrives.

      Our apologies for any inconvenience and confusion caused by this error, which was ultimately caused by the combination of the mistake with the server and a failure of the monitoring systems meant to detect such problems. We are already in the process of reviewing our systems to make sure a mistake like this never happens again.

      - Yahoo! Groups Team

      P.S. If you believe the problem has not been fully resolved and messages sent on the 18th (or later) have not posted, contact Customer Care using this form:
      http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/contact/ygpostform1.html
      http://tinyurl.com/postingproblem

      If you do, please provide as much detail as possible on when you posted the missing message and how; and if the message was posted via email, please include the message header (from your "sent" folder). Thank you.