Feature Update: Storing Email Attachments

  • y_groups_team
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 3:37 PM
      Recently, we introduced the new attachment beta to a handful of Yahoo! Groups. Based off of the feedback we received from these group members and moderators (and from other members and moderators who weren't part of the initial beta who wanted to be) we've decided to roll out this feature to all groups, beginning today!

      This feature will gradually become available in all Yahoo! Groups over the next couple of weeks, so be on the look out for this great new option.

      Not sure if your group has the new attachment feature enabled? In the left hand column, under the "Messages" section, beneath "Post," if you see "Attachments," your group is ready to go. Don't see this link? Your group doesn't have this feature enabled just yet, but should see it soon.

      Additionally, if you participated in the attachment beta, we're happy to let you know that we've pushed out a bug fix that now shows an attachment thumbnail instead of the "Attachment: Attachment Name" format that previously appeared.

      This new update should make it easier for you to preview and manage your attachments, and view the content that matters most to you.

      For those of you who do have this new feature enabled in your groups, here's a quick walk-through of the new options/differences.

      To access these new options and change your preferences, you must be a moderator or owner of an enabled group. To get started, click on "Management" in the left hand column of your group. Then, under the "Group Settings" section, click on "Messages" and under "Posting and Archives" click "Edit" and scroll down to "Attachments."

      Here, you'll see a third Attachment option: "Store on site (exclude from emails)"

      This new feature allows for attachments to be stored on the groups site instead of being sent out in emails. This allows for digest users to review/receive the attachments, and, makes it easier to retrieve specific attachments long after a thread has died as they're accessible in the "Attachments" link in the left hand column. Attachments share data space with photos, so you now have 100 gigs of storage.

      If you wish to continue to receive attachments via email, your settings should be set to "Include in emails (exclude from site)."

      The third option is to exclude attachments all together.

      If your group has this new feature enabled, please share your thoughts in the comment section of the Yahoo! Groups blog (http://ygroupsblog.com) Thanks!

      Melissa Daniels
      Yahoo! Community Manager