Photos Migration Update

  • Gordon Strause
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2009
      We are pleased to report that the migration to the new photos platform
      (which includes the new higher storage limits of 100GB per group as well as some other more subtle changes: ) is now complete for more than 99% of all groups.
      <http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/2008/09/29/yahoo-groups-photos-media-storage-enhancements/>

      The remaining groups that have not yet been migrated are either:
      - New groups created since mid-December.
      - Groups where the automated migration process failed and which need to be migrated manually.

      We hope to have migration completed for both these types of groups
      within the next couple of weeks.

      Meanwhile, one bug on the new platform that lots of folks have noticed
      is the fact that photo albums are no longer sorting alphabetically by
      default (and when you do resort them alphabetically, they are sorting "z to a" rather than "a to z").

      The good news is that we have a fix for this bug almost ready, and we
      hope to have the fix pushed soon (possibly as early as this week). Once it is pushed albums will return to the standard, alphabetical default sort.

      We're also aware of two other significant bugs, but they are likely to
      take a bit longer to fix:
      1. A small percentage of users are receiving "HTTP Status 500" when
      trying to access photos.
      2. Moderators of groups that had reached the 100MB limit on the old
      system may receive a "API error = 1009" when trying to change the
      homepage photo of their group.

      Thank you for your patience as we work to resolve these bugs. And thank you to the Yahoo! Groups engineers who have been working hard to
      complete this migration process and bring all groups onto the new
      platform.

      - Gordon
      Yahoo! Groups Product Manager

      P.S. To answer a frequently asked question, we ARE planning to also
      raise the file storage limit area to 100MB, but we don't yet have a
      target date for that change.

      P.P.S. As always, if you have a concern about a specific problem or
      issue related to your group, please contact Customer Care:

      <http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/forms/forms_index.html>

      While we do read all comments posted to the blog and replies to the
      Moderator Central owner address, you will only get help by contacting
      Customer Care.