Join Bug affecting Yahoo! Broadband Partner Users (AT&T, Rogers, BT, and more)

  • Gordon Strause
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
      http://tinyurl.com/partnerjoinbug

      There is currently a bug that is preventing Yahoo! Broadband partner
      users (which include AT&T/SBCGlobal, Rogers, Verizon, British Telecom,
      Telecom New Zealand) from being able to join (or create) groups on the
      web. This bug has the same root cause as the similar problem affecting
      YMail and Rocketmail users (and the experience for the user is a similar
      loop), but the work around to solve the problem is slightly different.

      For the moment, these users must first create an alias before they can
      create a group. To do so, they should:
      - Go to http://manage.members.yahoo.com/FULLEMAILADDRESSHERE
      (replacing "FULLEMAILADDRESSHERE" with their full email address. So, for
      example, if the user's email address was jerry313@..., they would
      enter http://manage.members.yahoo.com/jerry313@... )
      - Click on the "View My Profiles" link in the navigation at the top of
      the page
      - Click the "Create New Public Profile" button
      - Once finished, click the "Finished Editing" button

      Now these users should be able to join (or create) groups. Meanwhile,
      we're working on a fix to make this work around unnecessary. And these
      users can also be added to a group (or can subscribe via email by
      sending email to GROUPNAME-subscribe@yahoogroups.com) without going
      through this process either.

      Sorry for the extra hassle for these folks.
    • Gordon Strause
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 16, 2008
        A point I should have made clearer in the original message:

        This bug does NOT affect existing users with these accounts who have
        successfully joined or created groups in the past. Only users who are
        trying to join a group for the first time, and who have not created an
        alias for other reasons, will be affected.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 17, 2008
          One more update on this issue. It appears the work around described
          below does NOT work for Telecom New Zealand (TNZ) users. Until we can
          push a fix, there only option is to join groups as email only users
          (either by being added by a moderator or by subscribing via email). Our
          apologies for this inconvenience.