6Email Delays

  • Gordon
    Jan 25, 2006
      Hi Folks,

      Should have posted this earlier, but I wanted to let everyone know
      that we are aware of the delays in email delivery that are affecting
      many groups right now. The problem is not related to any of the
      database and hardware work we were doing earlier in the year.
      Rather, the primary cause is the "My Wife virus
      (http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_138027.htm), which has caused a
      huge spike in the number of emails sent to Yahoo! Groups. This spike
      has gone beyond the capacity of our current systems to handle, which
      is causing the delays in email delivery.

      We have already taken two steps to address the issue, which has
      begun to reduce the number of delays:
      - We are dropping (i.e. not delivering) all outgoing email that
      includes the virus (in other words, we are not sending infected
      messages to groups).
      - We have added additional server capacity

      And we are planning to increase that capacity even more. However,
      until the virus has fully played itself out or more ISPs have taken
      steps to reduce the amount of email they are sending to us (by
      dropping messages that contain the virus rather than forcing us to
      do it), there may continue to be some delays.

      Our apologies for any inconvenience.

      - Gordon
      Yahoo! Groups Team