126Groups Search Update

  • y_groups_team
    Mar 17, 2009
      First off, thank you to all of you who have been affected by this issue and have waited patiently while our team works to resolve the problem. We have been working hard to complete a new, more powerful and scalable search system (rather than simply patching the old system as we had done in the past), which is why this fix has taken longer to complete.

      But, we're happy to let you know that the team is in the final stages of QA-ing the new system (checking for bugs, testing for stability, etc.); and if all goes well, we should be able to start switching over affected groups in the next 2 weeks.

      Eventually all groups will be switched over to this new system, but since we don't the capacity to move all groups to the new system immediately (there are more than 5 billion messages and 40 terabytes of data to index!), we want to first address the groups who are having message search problems.

      If the search bug has impacted your group and you'd like to ensure that it is on the list for migration, please click on the link at the end of this message.

      (Note: If you have already reported the problem to Customer Care, it is not necessary to do so again. We have your information already. On the other hand, reporting the problem a second time won't hurt either, so if your group is having search issues and you're not sure absolutely sure it has been reported, go ahead and complete the form).

      This link will take you to a site where you'll be asked to provide:

      - The email address of your group (this is listed at the bottom of the home page of the group in the list of group email addresses— so, if you were the Moderator for Moderator Central, you'd enter moderatorcentral@yahoogroups.com).

      NOTE: If this issue affects more than one of your groups, please enter each group address on a separate line in the form.

      - Your role within the group (Member, Moderator, Owner, none)

      - Your email address (please use the email address that you have registered with Yahoo! Groups--if you have multiple email addresses registered with Yahoo! Groups, please enter them all.)

      If you have already reported your group's search issue to Customer Care, remember that you do not need to fill out this form.

      If your group is not currently experiencing search issues, please do not fill out the form.

      Your group will be migrated over to this new system in the near future, but in the meantime, we want to ensure that all impacted groups are taken care of before we begin migrating over groups that are not having any search problems.

      Thanks for your patience and understanding while we work together to fix this problem!

      Now, here's the link to report your group's issue: http://surveylink.yahoo.com/wix/p6290938.aspx

      Melissa Daniels
      Yahoo! Community Manager

      PS, if for some reason you have trouble following the link in this message or have difficulty reading this post, this same message has been posted to the Yahoo! Groups blog.

      The specific blog post that relating to this issue can be found here: http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/2009/03/17/groups-search-update/ However, more information on other Yahoo! Groups features (as well as up-to-date information on issues) can be found by visiting the blog at http://www.ygroupsblog.com