the bat family tree

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
      hey everyone,
      it's Joe again. iu was looking at my zooworld magazine on bats and it
      had a weird animal it look like a giant rat. i show my bishop and he
      said it look like a bandicoot. so are bandicoots part of the bat
      family? it didn't have a name and it said it live over a
      long,long,long,long time ago so i think that might of been the
      dinosaures days i think i heard there are no more bandicoots too. or
      are bandicoots are rare. please help me?
      -Joe:)
    • Radar
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2003
        bats are of the family chiroptera a unique family called "winged hand"
        The dinasour bat look the same as today which is amazing looking at the
        changes other animals have taken. I can't give you information on the
        bandicoot but sure if you do a google search on that name you should be
        able to pull up 1000's of links from zoo's or biologist on this animal.

        Please check out my FAQ page for more information on bats I have an
        evolution page listed there as well

        -
        Radar - Tulsa Oklahoma
        Founder of Fewerr - The International Foundation for Environmental & Wildlife; Education, Research & Rehab

        http://www.geocities.com/radar_foxbat (all about real bats)
        http://www.geocities.com/cartoon_studio2 (a toon and graphic website)

        Want to talk? YIM = Radar_Foxbat, AIM = Radar Foxbat

        Joe wrote:

        > hey everyone,
        > it's Joe again. iu was looking at my zooworld magazine on bats and it
        > had a weird animal it look like a giant rat. i show my bishop and he
        > said it look like a bandicoot. so are bandicoots part of the bat
        > family? it didn't have a name and it said it live over a
        > long,long,long,long time ago so i think that might of been the
        > dinosaures days i think i heard there are no more bandicoots too. or
        > are bandicoots are rare. please help me?
        > -Joe:)
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cgb0rkc/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705948922:HM/EXP=1070574492/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732>

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        -

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 5, 2003
          thanks Radar,
          i just got a e-mail today from a lady at austin texas who works in a
          bat zoo. and she said bandicoots are not from the bat family. but i
          found out about a dinosaur who's in the bat family. i don't know if
          you has this or not it's called.Icaronycteris. i'm trying to find
          more info on it. i'm hoping they will have it in the dinosaur thing
          on discover channel.
          -Joe:)

          > bats are of the family chiroptera a unique family called "winged
          hand"
          > The dinasour bat look the same as today which is amazing looking
          at the
          > changes other animals have taken. I can't give you information on
          the
          > bandicoot but sure if you do a google search on that name you
          should be
          > able to pull up 1000's of links from zoo's or biologist on this
          animal.

          > Please check out my FAQ page for more information on bats I have an
          > evolution page listed there as well
          >
          > -
          > Radar - Tulsa Oklahoma
          > Founder of Fewerr - The International Foundation for Environmental
          & Wildlife; Education, Research & Rehab

          > http://www.geocities.com/radar_foxbat (all about real bats)
          > http://www.geocities.com/cartoon_studio2 (a toon and graphic
          website)

          > Want to talk? YIM = Radar_Foxbat, AIM = Radar Foxbat
          >

          > Joe wrote:
          >
          > > hey everyone,
          > > it's Joe again. iu was looking at my zooworld magazine on bats
          and it
          > > had a weird animal it look like a giant rat. i show my bishop
          and he
          > > said it look like a bandicoot. so are bandicoots part of the bat
          > > family? it didn't have a name and it said it live over a
          > > long,long,long,long time ago so i think that might of been the
          > > dinosaures days i think i heard there are no more bandicoots too.
          or
          > > are bandicoots are rare. please help me?
          > > -Joe:)
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cgb0rkc/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=
          egroupweb/S=1705948922:HM/EXP=1070574492/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.net
          flix.com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732>

          Service
          > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
          >

          > -

        • Radar
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 6, 2003
            I'd find a dinasaur the true animal very hard to believe linked to bats.
            Bats are mammals worm blooded give live births. dinasurs are cold
            blooded and lay eggs I think the only true ancestor we have today is the
            bird. The Icaronycteris are the oldest bones found so I guess you mean
            dynasaur in a time frame sense like i meant. here are a couple of links
            http://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Icaronycteris.htm
            http://fossils.valdosta.edu/fossil_pages/fossils_ter/m10.html
            http://sevilleta.unm.edu/~lruedas/octobr21.html this one gives some history

          • joseph dillistone
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 6, 2003
              well no one knows if dinosaurs are worm or cold blooded. some may be mammals. some were plants eaters and some were meat eaters. the bloods they found on that dinosaur was the same shape as bat's bones.
              -Joe:)

            • Joe
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 7, 2003
                hey radar i talk to someone and they said the Icaronycteris is not a
                dinosaur but it's a bat. the fossil was 50 mils yrd. but i'm wounding
                if the animal in the zoobook about bats was a icaronycteris or
                another bat antester because the picture of the bat antester had no
                wings and the icaronycteris has wings. i don't know if bats have
                antesters without wings or cousins either.
                -Joe:)

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 7, 2003
                  that is unknown todate that is the missing link as to what the bat was
                  before it could fly. we don't know yet. Like human and ape that missing
                  link the bat has it's missing link there are assumptions of a lemur or
                  some other insect tree dewelling species but there is no proof to date.
                  I have inquiries out to scientist on any recent information and will
                  pass on when I get it. There are DNA studies but in this science of
                  evolution they are limited too.