Re: [mobiledesign] Re:US 3G Market

  • Matt Croydon
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007
      I don't have any numbers to back this up, but my gut tells me that 3G
      has more penetration in the US than this, but not in the smartphone market.

      In the US the featurephone rules, and I wouldn't expect any different in
      terms of 3G sales and availability. Right now AT&T has about 8
      different models (some with color/configuration variations) that are 3G
      capable. I'm guessing that's a mix of UMTS and HSDPA but I haven't
      checked too closely.

      In-store they seem to be pushing the RAZR (4 colors with 3G), Sync (4
      colors with 3G), and other featurephones such as the Samsung A717, A727,
      and the LG Trax. Also in the lineup are a few smartphones: the N75, HTC
      8528, and Samsung Blackjack. All of these devices support 3G data.

      The bottom of the line is still dominated by EDGE devices, but there are
      several 3G options at the free to $100 price range on contract. All of
      the in-store RAZRs are now 3G, and I have a feeling that they're still
      selling quite briskly.

      I'm personally holding out for the US N95 and my wife just picked up an
      N75 at the store with a contract renewal, but from what I've observed
      most US customers are concerned with which color RAZR they want or what
      their favorite phone in the free to $100 range on contract is.

      I haven't spent a significant amount of time in Verizon or Sprint stores
      lately, but I believe that you would find a similar selection of
      EVDO-capable devices in those stores. Their branding gets in the way a
      bit, but for Sprint I believe that you are looking for "PowerVision" and
      for Verizon you're looking for "BroadbandAccess." Again, I'm guessing
      that you'll see a handful of featurephones and a few smartphones.

      As Gautam mentioned, T-Mobile are still rolling out their 3G network but
      the top 3 carriers all have 3G networks in many (most?) areas and at
      least in AT&T's case a solid selection of devices that take advantage of
      them.

      --Matt

      Gautam Advani wrote:
      > GigaOm reports that N95 will be introduced by ATT later this year and it
      > will use ATT's 3G network. I have N80 which is 3G capable but not in the US
      > market. So it still uses EDGE - not the most optimal experience. So in the
      > US, although 3G networks have been building for a while (except for
      > Tmobile), device uptake by the operators has been very slow. And in the
      > US, you are dependent on the device that the operators have on deck. Only
      > GSM carriers like ATT and Tmobile let you buy a device independently and use
      > on their network - by just purchasing the SIM card. But most 3G devices in
      > the world market (like N80) cannot be used on a 3G network in the US market
      > - diff. frequencies.
      >
      > So limited # of devices are available but I think mass market 3G is a while
      > away as far as US market is concerned.
      >
      > Gautam

    • David Adams
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007

        On Aug 14, 2007, at 6:50 AM, Gautam Advani wrote:

        GigaOm reports that N95 will be introduced by ATT later this year and it
        will use ATT's 3G network.  I have N80 which is 3G capable but not in the US
        market.  So it still uses EDGE - not the most optimal experience.  So in the
        US, although 3G networks have been building for a while (except for
        Tmobile), device uptake by the operators has been very slow.

        Actually about a 1/3 of the devices carried by AT&T are 3G phone (W-cdma), and there have been, maybe about  5-6 3G phones that have been discontinued.   AT&T released the Nokia N75 two months ago, it is a UMTS device.

        And in the
        US, you are dependent on the device that the operators have on deck.  Only
        GSM carriers like ATT and Tmobile let you buy a device independently and use
        on their network - by just purchasing the SIM card.

        This is not true at all.  We buy hundreds of phones independently of the carriers and activate them on all the major carriers.  As long as the phone is compatible with a network operators network and has a clean ESN,  it can be activated.

        But most 3G devices in
        the world market (like N80) cannot be used on a 3G network in the US market
        - diff. frequencies.

        True. WCDMA in the U.S. is WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 1900 whereas in Europe it is WCDMA 2100.

        So limited # of devices are available but I think mass market 3G is a while
        away as far as US market is concerned.

        Gautam

        -David Adams

      • advanig
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007
          In my earlier response, i was pointing to the fact that compared to
          network build out, introduction AND adoption of 3G devices has been
          slower... I agree that in 2007 more and more such devices are
          becoming available. Not sure how effectively they will be used in
          near term because only small % of total subs in US subscribe to a
          unlimited data plan where it would have most cost effective usage.

          David, An average user cannot walk to Radioshack and ask them to
          activate their phone bought in south korea on the Verizon network.
          Does not mean it cannot be done (obviously you are doing it!) but I
          have not seen it being done in ordinary consumer experience. But
          you can do that in India and Europe because most users have GSM-SIM
          card enabled phones.

          Thanks

          --- In mobiledesign@yahoogroups.com, David Adams <david.adams@...>