US 3G Market

  • Alex Young
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 13, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      Can anyone give me a quick snapshot of what the potential 3G/mobile broadband market is like now in the states?  As far as i know I've heard some mumurs of slow data services like EDGE and then some movements towards Wi-MAX but where/when will WCDMA/HSDPA start entering the market?

      I noticed that there are a number of you guys on the list from the bay area and was also wondering if you are developing mobile internet for local consumption or for international usage?

      Thanks.

      Alex

    • David Adams
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 13, 2007
        Alex,
        The top 3 network operators in the U.S. started rolling out 3G networks (W-CDMA) a few years ago.  AT&T started rolling out UMTS about 3-4 years ago, then stopped when they were acquired and Cingular was created.  The Cingular (now AT&T) 3G(W-CDMA) now network covers most, if not all of the major U.S. cities (over 100), and their EDGE network has coverage in over 13,000 cities .  Verizon and Sprint have had 1xEV-DO for a couple of years. EDGE (2.75G) on AT&T/Cingular and T-Mobile has been available since early 2005 if I remember correctly.  There are a lot of EDGE phones available on those carriers and AT&T/Cingular is starting to offer the third batch of UMTS/HSDPA.  In fact the only top-tier network operator in the U.S. that does not have a 3G network is T-Mobile and they are due to start rolling that out soon. I've had an HSDPA phone for almost a year on AT&T/Cingular and I am getting very good download speeds.

        We are starting to see Verizon roll out 1xEV-DO Rev A, starting with laptop PCMCIA cards at first, but I anticipate we might start seeing phones/PDAs with Rev A in the not too distant future.

        Hope this helps.

        Regards,
        David Adams
        CEO Mobile Research

        AT&T/Cingular 3G Coverage

        Verizon Broadband Coverage Map

        Sprint Broadband Coverage

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007
            GigaOm reports that N95 will be introduced by ATT later this year and it
            will use ATT's 3G network. I have N80 which is 3G capable but not in the US
            market. So it still uses EDGE - not the most optimal experience. So in the
            US, although 3G networks have been building for a while (except for
            Tmobile), device uptake by the operators has been very slow. And in the
            US, you are dependent on the device that the operators have on deck. Only
            GSM carriers like ATT and Tmobile let you buy a device independently and use
            on their network - by just purchasing the SIM card. But most 3G devices in
            the world market (like N80) cannot be used on a 3G network in the US market
            - diff. frequencies.

            So limited # of devices are available but I think mass market 3G is a while
            away as far as US market is concerned.

            Gautam

            See what you�re getting into�before you go there
            http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507
          • Matt Croydon
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007
              I don't have any numbers to back this up, but my gut tells me that 3G
              has more penetration in the US than this, but not in the smartphone market.

              In the US the featurephone rules, and I wouldn't expect any different in
              terms of 3G sales and availability. Right now AT&T has about 8
              different models (some with color/configuration variations) that are 3G
              capable. I'm guessing that's a mix of UMTS and HSDPA but I haven't
              checked too closely.

              In-store they seem to be pushing the RAZR (4 colors with 3G), Sync (4
              colors with 3G), and other featurephones such as the Samsung A717, A727,
              and the LG Trax. Also in the lineup are a few smartphones: the N75, HTC
              8528, and Samsung Blackjack. All of these devices support 3G data.

              The bottom of the line is still dominated by EDGE devices, but there are
              several 3G options at the free to $100 price range on contract. All of
              the in-store RAZRs are now 3G, and I have a feeling that they're still
              selling quite briskly.

              I'm personally holding out for the US N95 and my wife just picked up an
              N75 at the store with a contract renewal, but from what I've observed
              most US customers are concerned with which color RAZR they want or what
              their favorite phone in the free to $100 range on contract is.

              I haven't spent a significant amount of time in Verizon or Sprint stores
              lately, but I believe that you would find a similar selection of
              EVDO-capable devices in those stores. Their branding gets in the way a
              bit, but for Sprint I believe that you are looking for "PowerVision" and
              for Verizon you're looking for "BroadbandAccess." Again, I'm guessing
              that you'll see a handful of featurephones and a few smartphones.

              As Gautam mentioned, T-Mobile are still rolling out their 3G network but
              the top 3 carriers all have 3G networks in many (most?) areas and at
              least in AT&T's case a solid selection of devices that take advantage of
              them.

              --Matt

              Gautam Advani wrote:
              > GigaOm reports that N95 will be introduced by ATT later this year and it
              > will use ATT's 3G network. I have N80 which is 3G capable but not in the US
              > market. So it still uses EDGE - not the most optimal experience. So in the
              > US, although 3G networks have been building for a while (except for
              > Tmobile), device uptake by the operators has been very slow. And in the
              > US, you are dependent on the device that the operators have on deck. Only
              > GSM carriers like ATT and Tmobile let you buy a device independently and use
              > on their network - by just purchasing the SIM card. But most 3G devices in
              > the world market (like N80) cannot be used on a 3G network in the US market
              > - diff. frequencies.
              >
              > So limited # of devices are available but I think mass market 3G is a while
              > away as far as US market is concerned.
              >
              > Gautam

            • David Adams
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007

                On Aug 14, 2007, at 6:50 AM, Gautam Advani wrote:

                GigaOm reports that N95 will be introduced by ATT later this year and it
                will use ATT's 3G network.  I have N80 which is 3G capable but not in the US
                market.  So it still uses EDGE - not the most optimal experience.  So in the
                US, although 3G networks have been building for a while (except for
                Tmobile), device uptake by the operators has been very slow.

                Actually about a 1/3 of the devices carried by AT&T are 3G phone (W-cdma), and there have been, maybe about  5-6 3G phones that have been discontinued.   AT&T released the Nokia N75 two months ago, it is a UMTS device.

                And in the
                US, you are dependent on the device that the operators have on deck.  Only
                GSM carriers like ATT and Tmobile let you buy a device independently and use
                on their network - by just purchasing the SIM card.

                This is not true at all.  We buy hundreds of phones independently of the carriers and activate them on all the major carriers.  As long as the phone is compatible with a network operators network and has a clean ESN,  it can be activated.

                But most 3G devices in
                the world market (like N80) cannot be used on a 3G network in the US market
                - diff. frequencies.

                True. WCDMA in the U.S. is WCDMA 850 / WCDMA 1900 whereas in Europe it is WCDMA 2100.

                So limited # of devices are available but I think mass market 3G is a while
                away as far as US market is concerned.

                Gautam

                -David Adams

              • advanig
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 14, 2007
                  In my earlier response, i was pointing to the fact that compared to
                  network build out, introduction AND adoption of 3G devices has been
                  slower... I agree that in 2007 more and more such devices are
                  becoming available. Not sure how effectively they will be used in
                  near term because only small % of total subs in US subscribe to a
                  unlimited data plan where it would have most cost effective usage.

                  David, An average user cannot walk to Radioshack and ask them to
                  activate their phone bought in south korea on the Verizon network.
                  Does not mean it cannot be done (obviously you are doing it!) but I
                  have not seen it being done in ordinary consumer experience. But
                  you can do that in India and Europe because most users have GSM-SIM
                  card enabled phones.

                  Thanks

                  --- In mobiledesign@yahoogroups.com, David Adams <david.adams@...>