Re: [mobiledesign] Mobile Web Design Survey

  • Nick Fitzsimons
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 21, 2006
      On 20 Sep 2006, at 22:16, vccgraphics wrote:

      > In an attempt to improve the mobile web experience, CSS Design
      > students in the Graphics
      > Technology Program at Valencia Community College are conducting a
      > survey to help
      > gather information about how the public uses the web with mobile
      > devices. With the
      > steady increase in the use of mobile devices (there are three times
      > as many mobile phones
      > as PC's worldwide!), we are certain that responses from this survey
      > will allow us to better
      > understand various aspects that affect the way we design and
      > develop web sites for mobile
      > devices.

      Your second question (on devices) can't be answered correctly by
      somebody who owns more than one kind of device - for example, I use
      both a cell phone and a PDA. I'd suggest you use checkboxes rather
      than radio buttons.

      Regards,

      Nick
      --
      Nick Fitzsimons
      http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 21, 2006
        Thanks Nick,
        Yes, we are aware of that issue. Unfortunately the system the college uses to set up
        surveys such as this cannot be altered after the survey has been released. We did run the
        survey through a number of people before releasing it to the public and somehow this was
        overlooked. The following question does ask for users to list their mobile devices they own
        so we can get more specific answers. Obviously there is no way to list every single device
        on the market.

        We've already received several hundred of responses and after reviewing briefly I think you
        all will find some of the responses interesting.

        Thanks again for your feedback.
        Amanda

        > Your second question (on devices) can't be answered correctly by
        > somebody who owns more than one kind of device - for example, I use
        > both a cell phone and a PDA. I'd suggest you use checkboxes rather
        > than radio buttons.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Nick
        > --
        > Nick Fitzsimons
        > http://www.nickfitz.co.uk/

      • Kim Dushinski
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 21, 2006
          Amanda:

          > We've already received several hundred of responses and after
          > reviewing briefly I think you
          > all will find some of the responses interesting.

          Does this mean you will share the survey results with us on this list?
          That would be terrific!

          Kim Dushinski
        • vccgraphics
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 21, 2006
            Yes, I absolutely will be sharing the results of the survey. Our students will be doing an
            experimental project that helps them learn all of these factors that affect designing for
            mobile devices, which I plan on sharing. I will also release the entire results to
            professionals who can use this data to help improve the mobile web experience but
            because I am expecting such a large turn out I will sum up the results in the form of an
            article I will post in our blog sometime before the semester ends.

            Amanda

            --- In mobiledesign@yahoogroups.com, "Kim Dushinski" <kim@...> wrote:

            > Amanda:
            >
            > > We've already received several hundred of responses and after
            > > reviewing briefly I think you
            > > all will find some of the responses interesting.
            >
            > Does this mean you will share the survey results with us on this list?
            > That would be terrific!
            >
            > Kim Dushinski

          • Vinay Rao
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 22, 2006
              Arent there any polling/ survey websites out there where we can post
              such a survey on and modify it as and when required? Anybody who has
              logged-in/participated would be able to see the results after the survey
              was closed.

              One that I found was vizu.com, but seems to be more poll and less survey
              oriented.

              The surveys that we/ our clients commission in India tend to be more
              involving, with questions on other tech gadgets or consumer durables
              owned, such as TVs, 'Hi-Fi', portable CD players, landline phones - when
              they were purchased, etc. We also ask questions like attitude towards
              technology and an option would read "Generally I'm not interested in nor
              do I buy new gadgets", or "I'm interested in, but technology scares me"

              (Many of these questions would be India-Centric, and hence might appear
              strange to you fellers)

              We've always wanted to take such surveys online or code the offline
              surveys into an online format in an easy-to-use interface. But havent
              hit upon an appropriate solution yet.

              Cheers
              Vinay

              vccgraphics wrote:

              > Yes, I absolutely will be sharing the results of the survey. Our
              > students will be doing an
              > experimental project that helps them learn all of these factors that
              > affect designing for
              > mobile devices, which I plan on sharing. I will also release the entire
              > results to
              > professionals who can use this data to help improve the mobile web
              > experience but
              > because I am expecting such a large turn out I will sum up the results
              > in the form of an
              > article I will post in our blog sometime before the semester ends.
              >
              > Amanda
              >
              > --- In mobiledesign@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:mobiledesign%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kim Dushinski" <kim@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Amanda:
              > >
              > > > We've already received several hundred of responses and after
              > > > reviewing briefly I think you
              > > > all will find some of the responses interesting.
              > >
              > > Does this mean you will share the survey results with us on this list?
              > > That would be terrific!
              > >
              > > Kim Dushinski

            • john_sarreal
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 22, 2006
                My company has used surveymonkey.com and has received impressive results.

                --- In mobiledesign@yahoogroups.com, Vinay Rao <vr@...> wrote:

                > Arent there any polling/ survey websites out there where we can post
                > such a survey on and modify it as and when required? Anybody who has
                > logged-in/participated would be able to see the results after the
                survey
                > was closed.
                >
                > One that I found was vizu.com, but seems to be more poll and less
                survey
                > oriented.
                >
                > The surveys that we/ our clients commission in India tend to be more
                > involving, with questions on other tech gadgets or consumer durables
                > owned, such as TVs, 'Hi-Fi', portable CD players, landline phones -
                when
                > they were purchased, etc. We also ask questions like attitude towards
                > technology and an option would read "Generally I'm not interested in
                nor
                > do I buy new gadgets", or "I'm interested in, but technology scares me"
                >
                > (Many of these questions would be India-Centric, and hence might appear
                > strange to you fellers)
                >
                > We've always wanted to take such surveys online or code the offline
                > surveys into an online format in an easy-to-use interface. But havent
                > hit upon an appropriate solution yet.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Vinay
                >
                > vccgraphics wrote:
                > >

                > > Yes, I absolutely will be sharing the results of the survey. Our
                > > students will be doing an
                > > experimental project that helps them learn all of these factors that
                > > affect designing for
                > > mobile devices, which I plan on sharing. I will also release the
                entire
                > > results to
                > > professionals who can use this data to help improve the mobile web
                > > experience but
                > > because I am expecting such a large turn out I will sum up the
                results
                > > in the form of an
                > > article I will post in our blog sometime before the semester ends.
                > >
                > > Amanda
                > >
                > > --- In mobiledesign@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:mobiledesign%40yahoogroups.com>, "Kim Dushinski" <kim@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Amanda:

                > > > Does this mean you will share the survey results with us on
                this list?
                > > > That would be terrific!
                > > >
                > > > Kim Dushinski

              • vccgraphics
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 23, 2006
                  I like the idea of another survey service for future surveys, however, from what I've seen they
                  aren't really "free". From what I have read on surveymonkey.com it is free for 100
                  respondents and there is a subscription rate also for 1000 responses per month.Due to the
                  response I think we're going to receive I anticipate that this would be costly. I don't think
                  we'll find any others out there that are "free" - but correct me if I'm wrong. The best part
                  about the flashlight survey I've used is that it's completely free for us to use at VCC, naturally
                  the survey must somehow support educational use. I don't claim it's the best, but it serves it's
                  purpose to collect data from respondents.

                  I could see taking the results of this survey and refining a more detailed one if needed just so
                  you guys who specialize in developing for mobile devices can pin point specific factors you
                  are most interested in.

                  --- In mobiledesign@yahoogroups.com, "john_sarreal" <drinkmate@...> wrote:

                  > My company has used surveymonkey.com and has received impressive results.

                • Ms. Jen Hanen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 24, 2006
                    I used surveymonkey.com tfor he research survey portion of my master's thesis (Moleskine to Mobile) and it worked out nicely  It was relatively painless for survey takers, I was able to download the results daily as an xls or txt file, and when my thesis was over, I cancelled the subscription.  Thus, $21.95 a month for 3 months was worth it for data that was already "processed" for me and available as a spreadsheet.  Also, I was able to save the data by survey taker or by question.

                    smiles, jen ;o)

                    On 9/24/06, vccgraphics <akern@...> wrote:

                    I like the idea of another survey service for future surveys, however, from what I've seen they
                    aren't really "free". From what I have read on surveymonkey.com it is free for 100
                    respondents and there is a subscription rate also for 1000 responses per month.

                    Jenifer Hanen
                    AIM: blackphoebe2006
                    GoogleTalk: blackphoebe
                    http://www.blackphoebe.com/msjen/
                  • vccgraphics
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 24, 2006
                      Thanks Jen,
                      Again, my concern is the cost. We currently do not have any approved funding, even for
                      surveys so I have relied on the colleges survey system. I plan to keep this survey live
                      through mid-semester so we will likely have a large response. In just a few days we have
                      had around 700 responses and I would imagine we'd easily pass 1,000 responses soon.

                      Thanks again for everyone's input. We look forward to sharing the results with you all later
                      in the semester.

                      --- In mobiledesign@yahoogroups.com, "Ms. Jen Hanen" <blackphoebe@...> wrote:

                      > I used surveymonkey.com tfor he research survey portion of my master's
                      > thesis (Moleskine to Mobile) and it worked out nicely It was relatively
                      > painless for survey takers, I was able to download the results daily as an
                      > xls or txt file, and when my thesis was over, I cancelled the subscription.
                      > Thus, $21.95 a month for 3 months was worth it for data that was already
                      > "processed" for me and available as a spreadsheet. Also, I was able to save
                      > the data by survey taker or by question.
                      >
                      > smiles, jen ;o)
                      >
                      > On 9/24/06, vccgraphics <akern@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I like the idea of another survey service for future surveys, however,
                      > > from what I've seen they
                      > > aren't really "free". From what I have read on surveymonkey.com it is free
                      > > for 100
                      > > respondents and there is a subscription rate also for 1000 responses per
                      > > month.
                      > >

                      > --
                      > --
                      > Jenifer Hanen
                      > AIM: blackphoebe2006
                      > GoogleTalk: blackphoebe
                      > http://www.blackphoebe.com/msjen/

                    • Bibleinfo.com - Design
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 24, 2006
                        I have looked at and used SurveyMonkey.com a time or two before. For what we needed at the time, 100 survey's was all we were needing. However, I have also briefly looked at phpEasySurveyPackage. It is opensource so no worries on the cost and you can host it ourself.

                        It is worth looking into as it is quite powerful.

                        Project Homepage:

                        eWeek's Review of phpESP:

                        I hope this is helpful to those looking for a good, free survey tool.

                        Cheers,
                        Brent Hardinge