88MEDIA UPDATE: Excitement and Numbers Growing Exponentially for Minnesota March for Immigration with Dignity

  • alondra
    Apr 8, 2006
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Contact: Alondra Espejel
      612 – 310 – 2186
      freedomnetwork@...

      MEDIA UPDATE

      Excitement and Numbers Growing Exponentially for
      Minnesota March for Immigration with Dignity

      ST. PAUL (April 8, 2006) – The thunderous excitement leading up to tomorrow’s Minnesota March for Immigration with Dignity has rapidly spread across the state.  Over 40 charter buses and car caravans from across the region are scheduled to transport more than 2,000 march participants from Worthington, Austin, Owatonna and other greater Minnesota cities, and the number of buses keeps growing daily.  Participants are ready to advocate for an immigration reform that is comprehensive, fair, and dignified.

      “The amount of energy we have seen around this march has been enormous,” Hashi Abdi, an organizer of the march, said.  According to Abdi, everyday workers and Minnesotans are actively involved in making the march a success.  “Somali taxi drivers have volunteered to provide free transportation from the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood in Minneapolis to the Cathedral.”  Latino cab drivers have also offered the community a similar deal from Lake Street in Minneapolis .

      Additionally, people like Angeles Morales, from Apple Valley , have taken the initiative to go from door to door in their neighborhood asking people to turnout for the march. “I heard about the march on the radio, and felt it was a very important event for us immigrants, so I took it upon myself to go out into my community to make sure folks got the word and came out to participate,” Morales describes.

      The Minnesota March for Immigration with Dignity is organized by a coalition of faith, labor, and community groups known as the Alliance for Fair Federal Immigration Reform of Minnesota (AFFIRM) along with immigrant leaders, students and individuals who are working together to build the immigrant rights movement of Minnesota.

      WHAT:
      The Minnesotan March for Immigration with Dignity.

      WHY:
      To unite and advocate for fair federal immigration reform.

      WHO:
      Speakers include Archbishop Harry Flynn, St. Paul Deputy Police Chief Sharon Lubinski, and Immigrant community leaders.

      WHEN:
      Sunday, April 9, 2006.
      2:30 pm: Start of first program at Cathedral (15 min).
      3:30 pm: Start of second program at Capitol (20 min).

      WHERE:
      Cathedral of St. Paul to State Capitol, St. Paul , Minnesota .

      ###

      Alondra K. Espejel

      Communications Organizer
      Minnesota Immigrant Freedom Network