- Aug 15, 2006View Source
Dear Immigrants and Allies,
Let's flex our e-advocacy muscle!
We know that, sometimes, things get slow at work. For others, this is part of work. And yet for others, blogging and the internet is a supportive tool for organizing and to make things happen during our off time.
So this is your chance: Follow these steps and join the on-line fun fast while building the media justice campaign to end the term "illegal immigrant"! My post already got attacked by an anti-immigrant blogger – so come on, build a counter wave of opinion to the vocal anti-immigrant bloggers on the Star Tribune's blog-site!
1) Register for online use of the general Strib website at http://24hour.startribune.com/user_registration/login/
2) Then go to this site: www.startribune.com/a1526, click on the log in icon. Before you can post comments you will be asked to re-register via the Talk page, they will send you a confirmation email with a web link and instructions.
3) Once your member log in has been activated via the Talk page you can start blogging!
Tip: Click on Tree View (upper right hand side corner of Talk screen) to save time in finding the most recent post, once the Tree View page is loaded, scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen to see the most recent comments.
If you have trouble finding the immigration language comments then go back to the Strib's home page (http://www.startribune.com/), log in, roll over the Opinion section, click on Talk, then click on News Talk, then Social Issues, then Immigrants and immigration policy, then on Tree View, scroll down to bottom of page and blog away! Remember, you must have a general Strib member log in and be authorized by the Talk page to be able to blog.
We are not "illegals." No Somos "ilegales."
Suggested Talking Points for email/letter writing
- NEVER use the term "illegal alien"
- STOP imposing the term "illegal immigrant" on immigrant families, immigrant youth, and immigrant workers
- We CAN describe the complexities of the immigration issue without having to criminalize and stigmatize immigrant workers, immigrant families and our immigrant friends and loved ones by using the word "illegal"
- "Illegal immigrant" gives credibility to a broken immigration system that does not honor human rights, workers' rights, and people
- It's not up to others but up to THE PEOPLE themselves to decide what "they should be called." Just like African American soldiers, who after fighting in WWII, pushed for the end of the word "colored" we, the immigrants of today, are calling for an end to the term "illegal immigrant."
"Words cloud 'illegals' debate"
"Same Concept: Different Words"
Both articles written by Jean Hopfensperger, 612-673-4511
If you have any questions about this campaign or would like to be more involved, please call us at 651-287-0660.
La lucha sigue,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Minnesota Immigrant Freedom Network
2500 University Avenue, Suite C8
St. Paul, MN 55114
See our history and visit our website at: