USA Today op-ed

  • gregoire525@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2001
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/comment/2001-11-01-ncguest1.htm

      Your thoughts, anyone?

      11/01/2001 - USA Today
      Enemies here threaten food
      By Richard Berman

      On the same day America was directly attacked for the first time in 6
      decades, the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) and the Animal Liberation
      Front (ALF) were taking credit for the burning of a McDonald's in
      Tucson.

      "Make no mistake about it," FBI special agent David Szady told 60
      Minutes this year, "by any sense or any definition, (ELF) is a true
      domestic-terrorism group."

      These homegrown terrorists have not let up since September. Federal
      agents are investigating a fire and unexploded incendiary devices
      found Oct. 15 at a government holding pen for wild horses and burros
      in Nevada — a site where animal-rights extremists committed arson in
      1991. And ALF claims to have set fire to the Coulston Foundation
      primate-research facility 9 days after the terrorist attacks on the
      United States.

      Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson now has warned
      that the nation's food supply could be the target of a terrorist
      attack. The people we need to worry about, though, may not be
      international terrorists. They could be the middle-class kids down
      the street.

      The growing wave of domestic terrorism by animal-rights, anti-
      corporate and anti-biotech extremists has gone beyond vandalism.
      Property has been destroyed, and lives have been put at risk. And
      Americans are the perpetrators.

      Even the incendiary devices are nothing new. ALF says it was the
      group that used such devices last March to set fire to two meat
      trucks in New York. ALF also took credit for setting devices beneath
      trucks in Canada on Christmas Day 2000.

      ALF or ELF — or both — have claimed responsibility for vandalism at
      New York banks, arsons and firebombings at meat companies, the
      destruction of homes in several states, and the burning of a feed
      mill in Wisconsin, among many other acts. On New Year's Eve 1999, ELF
      says it set fire to Michigan State University's Agriculture Hall,
      causing about $1 million in damages. Its reason: Researcher Catherine
      Ives' work would "force" developing nations to switch to genetically
      engineered crops.

      "I lost basically my entire professional life," Ives told 60 Minutes.
      She said she was working on disease-resistant crops that would help
      feed Africans.

      What will it take for the United States to recognize the clear and
      present danger that such groups present? The death of a McDonald's
      employee in a bombing, as occurred in France last year?

      Perhaps it will require an American Graham Hall. Hall, a British
      journalist, was kidnapped at gunpoint in October 1999. The
      letters "ALF," 4 inches high, were burned into his back with a
      branding iron. An ALF spokesperson's comment: "People who make a
      living in this way have to expect from time to time to take the
      consequences of their actions."

      Hall's "crime": He made a video documentary critical of ALF.

      Complacency is no option; it will happen here. Just this summer,
      Bruce Friedrich, vegan campaign coordinator for People for the
      Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), told an animal-rights convention
      in Virginia, "It would be a great thing if, you know, all of these
      fast-food outlets and these slaughterhouses and these laboratories
      and these banks that fund them exploded tomorrow." After the
      audience's applause died down, he added, according to a tape of his
      comments, "I think it's perfectly appropriate for people to take
      bricks and toss them through the windows. ... Hallelujah to the
      people who are willing to do it."

      An attack could be more insidious than a brick. In April, PETA co-
      founder Ingrid Newkirk expressed hope that foot-and-mouth disease, so
      devastating in Great Britain, would infect the United States.

      "If that hideousness came here, it wouldn't be any more hideous for
      the animals. ... I openly hope that it comes here," the anti-meat
      activist proclaimed. "It will bring economic harm only for those who
      profit from giving people heart attacks."

      In 1997, former senator George McGovern wrote prophetically about
      a "new age in this country" with a fragmentation of society "based on
      paternalism — what we believe is best for each other." He
      asked: "Where do we draw the line on dictating to each other? How
      many of these battles can we stand? Whose values should prevail?"

      Or, in the words of Walt Kelly's Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and he
      is us."

      ------------------------

      Richard Berman is executive director of The Guest Choice Network, a
      coalition of restaurant and tavern operators.
    • Eric Stiens
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 7, 2001
        so I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but occasionally its fun to go
        through the news step by step and find the lies in each paragraph

        >11/01/2001 - USA Today
        >Enemies here threaten food
        >By Richard Berman

        nice headline for scare tactics? I still don't understand how it relates to
        the article though

        >On the same day America was directly attacked for the first time in 6
        >decades, the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) and the Animal Liberation
        >Front (ALF) were taking credit for the burning of a McDonald's in
        >Tucson.
        >
        >"Make no mistake about it," FBI special agent David Szady told 60
        >Minutes this year, "by any sense or any definition, (ELF) is a true
        >domestic-terrorism group."

        the FBI has been saying this for years. If anyone is surprised that in the
        wake of the S11 police state that domestic activist groups are being linked
        to terrorism and targeted then they need to read a history book or look up
        COINTELPRO in an encyclopedia

        >These homegrown terrorists have not let up since September. Federal
        >agents are investigating a fire and unexploded incendiary devices
        >found Oct. 15 at a government holding pen for wild horses and burros
        >in Nevada — a site where animal-rights extremists committed arson in
        >1991. And ALF claims to have set fire to the Coulston Foundation
        >primate-research facility 9 days after the terrorist attacks on the
        >United States.

        incendiary devices....how about incendiary words.....people hear incendiary
        they think bomb, they think bomb they think killing innocent people

        >Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson now has warned
        >that the nation's food supply could be the target of a terrorist
        >attack. The people we need to worry about, though, may not be
        >international terrorists. They could be the middle-class kids down
        >the street.

        but USA Today (how a newspaper that writes at a 4th grade level could ever
        become so popular......) is still just openly speculating here.

        >The growing wave of domestic terrorism by animal-rights, anti-
        >corporate and anti-biotech extremists has gone beyond vandalism.
        >Property has been destroyed, and lives have been put at risk. And
        >Americans are the perpetrators.

        vandalism, property destruction, legitimate attacks on a violent
        socioeconomic system--all sounds like rhetoric to me

        >Even the incendiary devices are nothing new. ALF says it was the
        >group that used such devices last March to set fire to two meat
        >trucks in New York. ALF also took credit for setting devices beneath
        >trucks in Canada on Christmas Day 2000.

        and yet there has never been a single person bodily harmed from a single
        ELF or ALF action....why's that? coincidence? or extreme care?

        >ALF or ELF — or both — have claimed responsibility for vandalism at
        >New York banks, arsons and firebombings at meat companies, the
        >destruction of homes in several states, and the burning of a feed
        >mill in Wisconsin, among many other acts. On New Year's Eve 1999, ELF
        >says it set fire to Michigan State University's Agriculture Hall,
        >causing about $1 million in damages. Its reason: Researcher Catherine
        >Ives' work would "force" developing nations to switch to genetically
        >engineered crops.
        >
        >"I lost basically my entire professional life," Ives told 60 Minutes.
        >She said she was working on disease-resistant crops that would help
        >feed Africans.

        since we all know that the only reason that people in Africa are starving
        is because their crops keep getting hit with disease

        >What will it take for the United States to recognize the clear and
        >present danger that such groups present? The death of a McDonald's
        >employee in a bombing, as occurred in France last year?

        >Perhaps it will require an American Graham Hall. Hall, a British
        >journalist, was kidnapped at gunpoint in October 1999. The
        >letters "ALF," 4 inches high, were burned into his back with a
        >branding iron. An ALF spokesperson's comment: "People who make a
        >living in this way have to expect from time to time to take the
        >consequences of their actions."
        >
        >Hall's "crime": He made a video documentary critical of ALF.

        That whole thing is ultra sketchy. Hall has been known to completely
        fabricate stories, has been accused of misleading editing by other groups
        he has made documentaries of etc.....and anyway, there's no ALF or ELF
        organization. If you go destroy three bulldozers tonight you can say that
        it was the work of the ELF, so saying that the ALF tracked down Hall and
        assaulted him (which of course most people would not support) is like
        saying the International Black Bloc is organizing a protest in Geneva

        >Complacency is no option; it will happen here. Just this summer,
        >Bruce Friedrich, vegan campaign coordinator for People for the
        >Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), told an animal-rights convention
        >in Virginia, "It would be a great thing if, you know, all of these
        >fast-food outlets and these slaughterhouses and these laboratories
        >and these banks that fund them exploded tomorrow." After the
        >audience's applause died down, he added, according to a tape of his
        >comments, "I think it's perfectly appropriate for people to take
        >bricks and toss them through the windows. ... Hallelujah to the
        >people who are willing to do it."

        yeah something tells me these comments are being taken out of context

        >An attack could be more insidious than a brick. In April, PETA co-
        >founder Ingrid Newkirk expressed hope that foot-and-mouth disease, so
        >devastating in Great Britain, would infect the United States.
        >
        >"If that hideousness came here, it wouldn't be any more hideous for
        >the animals. ... I openly hope that it comes here," the anti-meat
        >activist proclaimed. "It will bring economic harm only for those who
        >profit from giving people heart attacks."

        ahhhh is this the link? activists threatening the food supply? pretty weak
        if you ask me

        >In 1997, former senator George McGovern wrote prophetically about
        >a "new age in this country" with a fragmentation of society "based on
        >paternalism — what we believe is best for each other." He
        >asked: "Where do we draw the line on dictating to each other? How
        >many of these battles can we stand? Whose values should prevail?"

        what we believe is best for each other.....how about you can do whatever
        the hell you want as long as you aren't actively harming other people,
        animals and then environment by your actions.....
      • Mary Jo Iverson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2001
          Eric,

          Would you post this on TC-IMC?