First aid incident... my 5 cents personal experience info

  • CJ Tan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2005
      I was planning to save this information for the first aid class but I
      think everyone deserves to know this just in case u r involved in an
      emergency...

      It happened around 3pm early April... I was riding at Jalan Genting
      Kelang when it all happened. An old man about 70-80 years old had a
      hit and run incident. It happened soo fast. I was looking at my rear
      view mirrors and when i looked at the road again, he was laying 50
      meters from me.

      He tired to get up on his own but stumbled down. The second time he
      tried, I saw blood dripping from his forehead. "aww shit... not this
      time... aiyah~~~ y this day ... y this day..." how unnoble sentences
      popped up into my head... I've helped hit n run cases before... but
      this day was different.. I don't know why.

      I parked my bike at the side of the road and locked it. As I was going
      towards the casualty, 2 good samaritans carried the old man to the
      side of the road. Bystanders flocked and everyone was panicking.
      Pardon me if I use any vulgarity or manglish after this.... can't help
      it.

      All the bystanders were panicking and they were shouting "PANGGIL
      AMBULANS!! PANGGIL AMBULANS!!" and I asked.... "ADA ORANG PERGI
      PANGGIL KE?" everyone went totally blank and they looked at each
      other. One guy from behind pointed at one direction as if someone went
      and called for help... I asked again "orang tu akan datang balik and
      beritahu dia sudah panggil?" He went silent as well...

      Then a guy pulled out his handphone to call for help but asked in
      chinese "(dial what number aa??)" ... sigh.. ... I pulled out my
      handphone and dialled 112 (remmember guys.. this is the emergency
      number for handphone.. u can even dial with no credit. some handphone
      have SOS button on when you reset your phone.. that u can also use.)
      and told them my name, road where the incident occurred and a
      landmark. I asked estimated time of arrival but the emergency team
      couldn't specify a rough time.

      set.. an ambulance is on the way. I assesed the injury and the old man
      had a deep concussion on his forehead. The hole was almost half the
      size of a 5 cent coin and it looked real dark (looks like a small
      cave). a lady provided a small cloth, a Bangladeshi came with paper
      tape to help and all our Malaysian bystanders were only looking.

      Maybe they don't know what to do... but anyway one good chap tried to
      stop a taxi for faster transport to the hospital. The first taxi
      slowed down... but after seeing the sight of blood... he accelerated
      and disappeared. Second one stopped, looked.. brushed his goatie and
      said NO. *WHAT THE F***!!????* (my mind said)....... then good chap
      exchanged sarcasm and tried to stop another taxi... the third taxi did
      what the first one did...

      later on i saw a Fire Brigade Pajero with 2 firemen inside. I waved
      like nobody's business and since they don't have their sirens turn
      on... they are obviously either on patrol or just hanging out. They
      slowed down, passed us 30 meters and then went off.. What does a guy
      need to do to get help huh?

      I think that chap couldn't take it anymore. So he went off for quite a
      while and came back with his jeep. The old man was transported to the
      hospital. I waited for the ambulans to notify that the casualty was
      transported to the hospital.

      From this incident... I can see people of various races and
      nationalities helping out. and at the same time... vice versa. There's
      no reason to label taxi and bomba guys as bad. Coz I know stories of
      their heroic efforts. Just to let u guys know that at this time...
      f***ed up things can happen...
    • JiLL Ng
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2005
        Dear CJ,

        i hope ur not traumatised by the realisation of the
        exact or majority type of ppl who wud not lend a hand
        and shied away. well, to look at the brighter side,
        tat's why mrcs members are unique ppl cos we belong to
        the minority who'd try their best to educate the
        others who do not have such mindset.

        let us keep our fingers cross hopefully the ppl we
        meet everyday , our neighbours, family knows first
        aid.

        thanks for sharing ur experience wit us cj. by the
        way, i'm now working in kk sabah already. going back
        on august for my convo though. take care :)

        Jill.