Re: [mlathemods] Lathe Choices (more OT)and long

  • David
    Message 1 of 44 , May 26, 2004
      James:

      Dyslexia is a particularly pernicious disability that is, I believe,
      incurable. Your generation seldom diagnosed it; and, when they did, they
      treated its victims as subnormal. The whole dyslexia-learning-disability
      episode remains one of the blackest marks in the history of education in
      this country.

      Curiously, one my Linguistics professors in my second tour through Graduate
      School is dyslexic. We became whisky-drinking friends (we're of an age
      together), and he's now retired Professor Emeritus. Another of my friends
      (just a little younger than I) is dyslexic. He was treated as mentally
      retarded throughout his public school years. But he kept on fighting, got
      into college, fought hard for his basic degree, and went on to take an MA in
      Modern History and a teaching certificate. I am sad to relate that he had to
      threaten the Dean of the Graduate School with a lawsuit if the Dean
      prevented him from using a dictionary during examinations; thank goodness,
      my friend won.

      My point about language is not what happens when a disability like dyslexia
      comes into play. You are aware of this disability, and you know how to work
      around it to communicate with your peers. My point is about all those
      without dyslexia who will not, or can not, pay attention to their language.

      If they are ignorant, they can be trained, or educated, or both; if they
      maintain their ignorance (the most disgusting among them are those that are
      proud of their ignorance), they are stupid--for whom the following quotation
      is appropriate:

      ...stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death,
      there is no appeal, and
      execution is carried out automatically and without pity.[Robert A.
      Heinlein. The Notebooks of Lazarus Long.]

      And I must disagree with your moral: spelling and grammar are not the
      measure of the man, unless he pays no attention to them.

      Dave Wood

      Message 44 of 44 , May 27, 2004
        In a message dated 5/26/2004 9:47:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        wood1481@... writes:
        contract that will require them to take forty years to
        pay off a $4K credit card debt at the minimum payment
        OK I am doing it again, sorry guys and gals, but had to put in here. I knew a
        gal who had to move in my place and sleep on the couch after she had been
        using one card to make payments on other cards (She had a MA from UC and looked
        down on my BS from USC). I don't know if she ever got out the hole she dug for
        herself or not.
        Then I had a sister in law who signed a contract to buy a condo with negative
        amortization. Every time she made a payment the balance went up. When
        interest rates go up (say "when" not "if" look at history) there will be a lot of
        folks looking for some way to pay off their variable interest rate home loans.
        Everyone should take a course in basic economics about the time value of money
        and why interest is necessary. (or at least a course in common sense) BTW my
        long held belief in not investing in stocks has proved to be valid, us small
        fish don't even know the rules that the sharks make when playing that game.

        John Meacham
        in the high desert of California
        12 inch Atlas, Minimill, HF bandsaw
        rusty file