Brass collapsible telescope plans

  • smokepole362003
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 22, 2004
      I am fairly new to using a mini lathe, but I would like to know where
      I could get some ideas for a small collapsible telescope. Not only do
      I play with mini lathes, I am also interesed in the French / indian
      war eara and think a small telescope would be a nice addition to my
      gear.
    • dieziege@apocalypsegoat.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 22, 2004
        On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, smokepole362003 wrote:

        > I am fairly new to using a mini lathe, but I would like to know where
        > I could get some ideas for a small collapsible telescope. Not only do
        > I play with mini lathes, I am also interesed in the French / indian
        > war eara and think a small telescope would be a nice addition to my
        > gear.

        That does sound like a fun project. I don't know about plans, but
        it would be an easy thing to make once you had the optics. About
        what size would the objective (front) lens be? I'd guess they
        were about an inch? If it was me, I'd start by looking for an
        objective that fit the project, then size everything around it.
        Perhaps one of these would do it:
        http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/category/objectivelenses_1.html
        They also have lens sets for making eyepieces, and they aren't
        the only surplus optics shop around. The result would not exactly
        be authentic, but nobody will ever know from the outside.

        Then it is a matter of some nesting brass tubes, some felt (for
        the joints) and some machined brass to hold the glass.

        --
        Jon