Re: spam control

  • James Robertson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2003
      Just a heads up to the moderator to show that I am
      a real, breathing human, and not a spammer :)

      Glad to see more and more groups are turning to this
      form of spam control. The spamming scumbags seem to think
      they own the 'net... :=)

      James aka Tinker3738
    • JS. EARLY
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2003
        True but the spammers are not that bright as it just makes them try harder.
        I am now deleting about 20 Spam's a day from the 25 groups I moderate. Takes
        about 10 minutes a day and I get a kick on every delete just like hanging up
        on a phone spammer. Also having a progressive ISP with good Spam filters
        helps too as they stop about 80 pieces of Spam a day and I only need to deal
        with 5 or 6 in my in box.
        They define a republic to be a government of laws, and not of men.

        John Adams, Nocangul No. 7, 1775

      • cmiller231@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 26, 2003
          In a message dated 11/26/2003 7:45:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          j.w.early@... writes:
          True but the spammers are not that bright as it just makes them try harder.
          I am now deleting about 20 Spam's a day from the 25 groups I moderate. Takes
          about 10 minutes a day and I get a kick on every delete just like hanging up
          on a phone spammer. Also having a progressive ISP with good Spam filters
          helps too as they stop about 80 pieces of Spam a day and I only need to deal
          with 5 or 6 in my in box.
          They define a republic to be a government of laws, and not of men.
          JWE Where do i find the other 25 groups that you moder4ate ? Thanks Chris
          Really enjoy your group and all the hard work you put into it .

        • j.w.early@worldnet.att.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 26, 2003
            (01) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beginnerswkshp/

            Archive group for the Geometer Beginners Workshop series from the mid 50s.
            Also the tutorial Chuck cartoons by Terry Aspin are archived here.

            Archive group for the Geometer Hints & Tips series from the late 50s and
            early 60s.

            Searchable indexes for Model Engineer magazine from 1939 to 1999. Also
            partial indexes for some other magazines with metal working content. The one
            for HSM and PiM/MW are the most complete but not fully verified or commented.

            Lathe modification and improvement articals

            Discussion and aid with control and motor problems on the mini lathe.

            Model building projects mostly related to I/C engines, plus some OT content
            from time to time as this group was originally started to draw the OT content
            away from the 7x10 group.

            Steam engines and related materials.

            Steam engines and boilers

            Steam traction and road going equipment.

            Steam powered fire engines and pumps, also some intresting articles on
            hydraulic rams.

            Some old clock building articals from ME.

            Metal working hints & tips for the beginner as well the more experianced user.

            Some ideas for building your own lathe or improving the one you have.

            Tools and ideas for the small shop milling machine and shaper.

            Indexing, dividing and gear cutting on the lathe and mill.

            Power hacksaws, saws and other secondary but useful shop equipment.
            Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty
            and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.

            Samuel Adams, essay in The Public
            Advertiser, 1749