sharpening flycutters

  • catfish7251
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2003
      I set up my HF 7X10 lathe to use for milling, A flycutter seemed like
      the right tool for my project, MY question is how do I sharpen my HSS
      tools for a facing and edge cut.

      Thanks in advance

      catfish
    • Donald Qualls
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2003
        catfish7251 wrote:

        > I set up my HF 7X10 lathe to use for milling, A flycutter seemed like
        > the right tool for my project, MY question is how do I sharpen my HSS
        > tools for a facing and edge cut.

        A fly cutter makes an intermittent cut, so it should be ground more like
        a shaper bit than a lathe tool. Typically, that means more support for
        the edge than you'd need with a lathe tool. That said, people have
        gotten many-many hours of good work from presharpened right hand lathe
        tools, if the fly cutter holds the tool at right angles to the work. If
        the cutter holds the tool at a sharp angle, like some premade fly
        cutters, you may need a narrower nose angle than you'd usually use.

        --
        I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
        -- E. J. Fudd, 1954

        Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
        Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
        Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm