Speed Reduction backl Gear

  • mr1baker
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 23, 2003
      I saw an article posted somewhere from an old Model Engineer mag
      about making a back gear attachment for a 9 inch lathe. It used
      internal backgears in a ring gear. Does anyone know where this is? I
      just ssaw it last night and now I can't find it to print it.
    • John Flynn
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
        http://www.metalwebnews.com/ under Metal Removal has an article about making a
        backgear for a 9X19 using automatic transmission parts.

        On Saturday 23 August 2003 11:32 pm, mr1baker wrote:
        > I saw an article posted somewhere from an old Model Engineer mag
        > about making a back gear attachment for a 9 inch lathe. It used
        > internal backgears in a ring gear. Does anyone know where this is? I
        > just ssaw it last night and now I can't find it to print it.

      • JS. EARLY
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
          You will find two different ones here:

          They define a republic to be a government of laws, and not of men.

          John Adams, Nocangul No. 7, 1775

          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 24, 2003
            It would be interesting to try to adapt planetary gear reduction to
            the rear of the spindle of a Mini lathe. The motor would have to be
            relocated or a counter shaft added and a torque liming device would
            be needed to keep from stripping plastic gears. But the slower
            speeds and improved torque at low speed would be nice.

            If some one could just find a ready made source of a surplus gear
            system that would fit.

            Gordon
            : You will find two different ones here:
            :
            :
            : JWE
            : Long Beach, CA
            : They define a republic to be a government of laws, and not of men.
            :
            : John Adams, Nocangul No. 7, 1775
            :
            :
            : > I saw an article posted somewhere from an old Model Engineer mag
            : > about making a back gear attachment for a 9 inch lathe. It used
            : > internal backgears in a ring gear. Does anyone know where this
            is? I
            : > just ssaw it last night and now I can't find it to print it.
            :
            :
            :
            : Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            :
            :
            :
            :
            : To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            :
            :
            :
            : Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            Service.
            :
          • mr1baker
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "JS. EARLY" <j.w.early@w...>
              wrote:
              > You will find two different ones here:

              > JWE
              > Long Beach, CA
              > They define a republic to be a government of laws, and not of men.
              >
              > John Adams, Nocangul No. 7, 1775

              groups I could not remember where I saw it.
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, John Flynn <johnf@c...> wrote:
                > http://www.metalwebnews.com/ under Metal Removal has an article
                about making a
                > backgear for a 9X19 using automatic transmission parts.
                >
                > On Saturday 23 August 2003 11:32 pm, mr1baker wrote:
                > > I saw an article posted somewhere from an old Model Engineer mag
                > > about making a back gear attachment for a 9 inch lathe. It used
                > > internal backgears in a ring gear. Does anyone know where this
                is? I
                > > just ssaw it last night and now I can't find it to print it.

                > >Yes, I saw that. It is very similar to one of the designs I was
                looking for. JS early sent me a reply that located them If you want
                to see them,
                You will find two different ones here:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • mr1baker
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                  --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Couger" <gcouger@R...>
                  wrote:
                  > It would be interesting to try to adapt planetary gear reduction to
                  > the rear of the spindle of a Mini lathe. The motor would have to be
                  > relocated or a counter shaft added and a torque liming device would
                  > be needed to keep from stripping plastic gears. But the slower
                  > speeds and improved torque at low speed would be nice.
                  >
                  > If some one could just find a ready made source of a surplus gear
                  > system that would fit.
                  >
                  > Gordon

                  This is an interesting article about the transmission gears approach
                  http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/backgear/backgear.html
                • Gordon Couger
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                    When it cools off I will have to start checking transmission shops
                    and junk yards. Gear reduction would sure make threading easier.
                    Remounting the motor or adding a jack shaft would not be too much of
                    a problem.

                    Gordon
                    : > backgear for a 9X19 using automatic transmission parts.
                    : >
                    : > On Saturday 23 August 2003 11:32 pm, mr1baker wrote:
                    : > > I saw an article posted somewhere from an old Model Engineer
                    mag
                    : > > about making a back gear attachment for a 9 inch lathe. It
                    used
                    : > > internal backgears in a ring gear. Does anyone know where this
                    : is? I
                    : > > just ssaw it last night and now I can't find it to print it.
                    : > >
                    : > >
                    : > >
                    : > >
[...]
                  • Richard
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                      wrote:
                      > It would be interesting to try to adapt planetary gear reduction to
                      > the rear of the spindle of a Mini lathe. The motor would have to be
                      > relocated or a counter shaft added and a torque liming device would
                      > be needed to keep from stripping plastic gears. But the slower
                      > speeds and improved torque at low speed would be nice.
                      >
                      > If some one could just find a ready made source of a surplus gear
                      > system that would fit.

                      Gordon,
                      My family recently presented me with a Homier 7x12 and I smile a lot
                      now! The speed control allows stable speed down to nearly zero. By
                      observing the 45 tooth gear on the left end of the spindle I can
                      strobe and read speeds of 40, 80, 160 and 320RPM and find they hold
                      pretty well at various loads. This surprises me!

                      My question is what speeds are you aiming for if a back gear were
                      available? And just how much more torque than possible now do you
                      need? I would fear the internal hi/lo gears might be the most torque
                      sensitive link in the chain.

                      However,I also believe that if one wanted to fit slowdown gearing
                      between the motor and the built in jackshaft the simplest setup would
                      be a worm drive. It could be small in size and not very complex or
                      expensive.

                      Richard
                    • JS. EARLY
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 25, 2003
                        Gordon
                        There are pictures of Richards speed reducer jack shaft in the photos.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 26, 2003
                          James,

                          A jack shaft by it's self doesn't have the torque at low speeds of a
                          planetary gear, the belts slip. Although a timing belt should be
                          better. Of course too much torque is going to be a problem on the
                          mini lathe as the gear train wasn't designed for it.

                          Trying to make a mini lathe into something that it is clearly beyond
                          its design is probably not too good an idea. And the limited torque
                          of a jack shaft for threading and other low speed operations would
                          probably be more of a blessing than a problem in the long run. It
                          would probably need a shear pin anyway.

                          Thanks for the suggestion. It is simpler and should do what I want
                          as well as gear reduction with a variable speed motor.

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 26, 2003
                            Mert,

                            This article was what got me started thinking about it in the first
                            place.

                            Considering the problems with the increased torque on the gear train
                            I think a counter shaft will do good enough since I can't take
                            advantage of the increased torque. I will probably have to put a
                            shear pin in the counter shaft. No part of a mini lathe wasn't built
                            to take the load you can put on one with back gears.

                            Thanks
                            Gordon
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 27, 2003
                              Gordon Couger wrote:

                              > It would be interesting to try to adapt planetary gear reduction to
                              > the rear of the spindle of a Mini lathe. The motor would have to be
                              > relocated or a counter shaft added and a torque liming device would
                              > be needed to keep from stripping plastic gears. But the slower
                              > speeds and improved torque at low speed would be nice.
                              >
                              > If some one could just find a ready made source of a surplus gear
                              > system that would fit.

                              I've looked at this idea a bit myself. Among other things, I found that
                              there are a number of small planetary reduction systems made for (of all
                              things) electric model airplanes, that should easily handle the torque
                              of the mini-lathe motor. Turns out some model airplanes crank out more
                              than a half horsepower from a motor physically about half the size of
                              the ones we use.

                              In any case, these planetary units come in useful ratios (I was thinking
                              the ones close to 4:1 would be about right, to give me full range up to
                              275 rpm), and aren't too terribly expensive, but they don't seem
                              inclined to fit the shaft on the mini-lathe motor (model motors have a
                              3mm to 6mm shaft) and, not having examined one close up, I don't know if
                              they could be modified by, say, boring out the sun gear and case.

                              I've also considered a secondary back gear reduction using an additional
                              set of the hi-lo gears; this would require modifying the headstock, but
                              would have the advantage that the extra torque and reduction would be
                              introduced after the weaker timing pulleys; it should also be possible
                              to incorporate a shear system to avoid stripping teeth off the hi-lo,
                              shaft, or back gears. Haven't done anything more with it, however,
                              because a lack of exact internal dimensions of the headstock, and lack
                              of a spare headstock on which to experiment, have combined with lack of
                              time and money... B(

                              --
                              I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
                              -- E. J. Fudd, 1954

                              Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
                              Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
                              Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

                              and don't expect them to be perfect.
                            • Brian Drummond
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:32:58 -0700, you wrote:

                                >Gordon Couger wrote:
                                >
                                >> It would be interesting to try to adapt planetary gear reduction to
                                >> the rear of the spindle of a Mini lathe.
                                >>
                                >> If some one could just find a ready made source of a surplus gear
                                >> system that would fit.
                                >
                                >I've looked at this idea a bit myself. Among other things, I found that
                                >there are a number of small planetary reduction systems made for (of all
                                >things) electric model airplanes, that should easily handle the torque
                                >of the mini-lathe motor. Turns out some model airplanes crank out more
                                >than a half horsepower from a motor physically about half the size of
                                >the ones we use.

                                But remember they are typically reducing something over 20,000rpm to
                                something slightly more reasonable. Transmitting the same power at
                                2000rpm involves 10x the torque. The lightweight gears they use may not
                                be up to it.

                                - Brian
                              • Richard
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                  --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Couger" <gcouger@c...>
                                  wrote:
> [...]

                                  The real "Mert" <G> would most likely advise you to use a hand
                                  operated crank if slow speed is wanted for threading! That would also
                                  be my choice. Richard
                                • Gordon Couger
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                    Hand threading is fine for fine threads but it get a bit tiring for
                                    6 TPI Buttress threads in bronze or steel.

                                    Gordon
                                    : > ,: This is an interesting article about the transmission gears
                                    : > approach
                                    : > : http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/backgear/backgear.html
                                    : > :
                                    :
                                    : The real "Mert" <G> would most likely advise you to use a hand
                                    : operated crank if slow speed is wanted for threading! That would
                                    also
                                    : be my choice. Richard
                                    :
                                    :
                                    : Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    : To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                                    :
                                    :
                                    :
                                    : Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                                    Service.
                                    :
                                  • Peter Sanders
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                      Hi

                                      There was an article in MEW magazine about 12 months ago, that showed the
                                      use of an auto transmission gearbox to provide low speed and reverse gear.
                                      This as far as I recall had a planetary gear system.

                                      If there is any interest I can find out the issue number for you.

                                      Regards

                                      Peter

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                        You are right, it takes power! Maybe that is the reason the threading
                                        chart on the 7x lathes stops at 12tpi on the course end. Why tear up
                                        the works. Richard

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                          Brian Drummond wrote:

                                          > On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 21:32:58 -0700, you wrote:
                                          >

                                          >>Gordon Couger wrote:
                                          >>

                                          >>>It would be interesting to try to adapt planetary gear reduction to
                                          >>>the rear of the spindle of a Mini lathe.
                                          >>>
                                          >>>If some one could just find a ready made source of a surplus gear
                                          >>>system that would fit.
                                          >>
                                          >>I've looked at this idea a bit myself. Among other things, I found that
                                          >>there are a number of small planetary reduction systems made for (of all
                                          >>things) electric model airplanes, that should easily handle the torque
                                          >>of the mini-lathe motor. Turns out some model airplanes crank out more
                                          >>than a half horsepower from a motor physically about half the size of
                                          >>the ones we use.
                                          >

                                          > But remember they are typically reducing something over 20,000rpm to
                                          > something slightly more reasonable. Transmitting the same power at
                                          > 2000rpm involves 10x the torque. The lightweight gears they use may not
                                          > be up to it.

                                          Well, I don't think they turn that fast; these are mostly permanent
                                          magnet electric motors, not glow engines, and I'd be amazed if they
                                          turned faster than 10,000 rpm. The reduction units are to allow a tiny
                                          little motor with the rating you want to turn a scale appearing
                                          propeller in a large, light park flier type of model.

                                          You are right, though, in that they work at higher RPM than our lathe
                                          spindles. Fortunately, I was thinking of putting the planetary on the
                                          motor shaft, where torque is lowest and RPM highest, and I don't think
                                          the model reduction units would be seriously overstressed if intstalled
                                          that way.

                                          Another advantage of a planetary unit is that it's relatively easy to
                                          lock it solid, so it transmits 1:1 instead of whatever reduction ratio
                                          -- and now your lathe is out of back gear.

                                          --

                                        • catboat15@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 28, 2003
                                            In a message dated 8/28/2003 6:12:07 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                                            phrh@... writes:

                                            > The real "Mert" <G> would most likely advise you to use a hand
                                            > operated crank if slow speed is wanted for threading! That would also
                                            > be my choice. Richard

                                            Looking at old "Model Engineering" magazines I was astounded at the work done
                                            with foot powered lathes. Beautiful models made with bare workshops.
                                            Like subject, following WW2 we were sent to the Czech Republic to face the
                                            Russians. Next door to our quarters was a shop where ox and horse carts were
                                            made. The owner had a hand powered lathe with his helper turning a large wheel
                                            with a crank that drove a small pulley on the head stock. Also learned from the
                                            old fellow that built the carts that "camber and toe-in" were necessary on two
                                            wheel carts to keep them tracking straight.
                                            John
                                            LBSC Virginia
                                            LBSC Tich
                                            200 some feet of 3.5 inch ground level track

                                          • Tom Wightman
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 29, 2003
                                              At 11:26 PM 28/08/03, Donald Qualls wrote:

                                              >clip...
                                              >Well, I don't think they [electric motors for model aircraft] turn that
                                              >fast; these are mostly permanent
                                              >magnet electric motors, not glow engines, and I'd be amazed if they
                                              >turned faster than 10,000 rpm. The reduction units are to allow a tiny
                                              >little motor with the rating you want to turn a scale appearing
                                              >propeller in a large, light park flier type of model.

                                              I'm a little behind the times on this stuff, but the type of motor Brian
                                              Drummond was writing about (putting out significant fractions of a
                                              horsepower) are good for about 30K RPM in the brushed variety. Brushless
                                              variants are good to about 60K. In the appropriate type of contest model
                                              aircraft they will propel the model to speeds approaching 200 mph.

                                              Regards

                                              Tom W.
                                            • Baker.Michael.B
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 29, 2003

                                                i have been thinking of using a high torque corded power drill as a generic
                                                power device for my lathe - planetary gears are already in effect and a
                                                standardized coupling would let me connect it to the spindle, crossfeed
                                                screw, and lead screw. connecting directly to the spindle would circumvent
                                                the plastic spindle drive gears, but not the plastic lead screw gears. a
                                                partial solution i guess - i haven't worked out the details yet. a dial type
                                                speed controller would be needed for sure.

                                                :)
                                              • Michael Horgan
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 30, 2003
                                                  Cut down a socket extension in the lathe to 3/8 or 1/4 in at the socket
                                                  end.mount a cheap socket on it to fit the end of the handle you want to
                                                  turn, then cut down the side to allow it to fit over the arm of the handle.
                                                  Now chuck it into your drill, and you have a motor drive. Different sockets
                                                  to fit different handles. Makita's right angle drill works great for this..

                                                  >i have been thinking of using a high torque corded power drill as a generic
                                                  >power device for my lathe - planetary gears are already in effect and a
                                                  >standardized coupling would let me connect it to the spindle, crossfeed
                                                  >screw, and lead screw. connecting directly to the spindle would circumvent
                                                  >the plastic spindle drive gears, but not the plastic lead screw gears. a
                                                  >partial solution i guess - i haven't worked out the details yet. a dial type
                                                  >speed controller would be needed for sure.

                                                  Michael D. Horgan , lughaid@...
                                                  http://members.aol.com/lughaid/
                                                  posting from
                                                  A BRAZEN FORGERY
                                                  Blacksmithing and Metalwork
                                                  Claremont, Ca.
                                                • *
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 17, 2004
                                                    Speaking from experience I know that all to well, I got tired of the
                                                    limited load I could carry on the back of my mountain bike with baskets, I
                                                    gathered together some angle iron and a spare set of 26" touring bike front
                                                    wheels I built a 2 wheeled trailer thats roughly 10" long from hitch to
                                                    tail end. It's got a 6' * 2' cargo bed with a 4' tong to keep it from
                                                    shaking my bike side to side when I get a load with too much weight back
                                                    past the CG. if I don't get that caster and camber just right the trailer
                                                    will ether hop side to side or drag like theres a heavy load on it. I've
                                                    halled refrigerators dishwasher 500lbs of concrete blocks loads of scrap metal.
                                                    when every thing is set properly it's like theres no trailer there at all,
                                                    I'll post pictures later.