swarf guard

  • bobaustin856
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 14, 2013
      a silly thing--looked at various swarf guards to keep the muck out of the saddle moving gear train---I`v simply cut some magnetic photo paper to fit-its thick and being magnetic sticks to the carrage.cut round hole for the gear spidle to come through,the square edges locate and stop it from trying to rotate and bobs your uncle.no drilling and dirt cheap.i used polaroid magnetic photo paper, sold to make your own photo fridge magnets.
    • WAM
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 14, 2013
        Take a look at the magnetic way covers I did:
        http://home.comcast.net/~ajawam3/swarf/lathe_mods.html#waycovers

      • Corey Renner
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 14, 2013
          Wow, those way covers are nice.  are they stitched or glued, or both?

          cheers,

          On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM, WAM <ajawam2@...> wrote:

          Take a look at the magnetic way covers I did:
          http://home.comcast.net/~ajawam3/swarf/lathe_mods.html#waycovers

        • WAM
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 14, 2013
            They're the Goralon ones from McMaster. They fuse them into 1' lengths
            then stitch those. They come square; I just cut them on a bandsaw...
            http://www.mcmaster.com/#rectangular-bellows/=pt7h7w
            I know they say they don't stitch, but the 2' ones I've ever ordered
            were... and I've ordered them numerous times.

            Have some on my CNC for at least 10 years; gets lots of use. Also on my
            mill:
            http://home.comcast.net/~ajawam3/swarf/swarf.htm

          • John Lindo
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 15, 2013