RE: Re: [mlathemods] On topic posts reminder

  • ed.kolt
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 16, 2013

      Thanks for the heads up. Turns out I have one of the defective units in my basement near my lathes. It has been down there for years under our bedroom.

      I had not seen this recall anywhere else. I am calling them today. Pass the word....  I have posted this in all the groups I belong to.

      Ed S

      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, <mlathemods@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Yes  vandal968,  i think you were a bit too quick to hit the delete key,
      Regards  jb

      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 16, 2013
        I would love to be able to dehumidify my shop down here, but the cost of
        current (electricity) here prevents even remotely considering it.
        Since moving here to the Caribbean 16 years ago, it is a constant
        battle. Miss a wipe down with oil after cleaning, it's a trip to the
        buffer.
        Typically, I use motor oil and some finer tools, I use a metal polish
        that has carborundum wax in it. Cased tools, I keep the little packs of
        crystals that comes packed with some new items and occasionally put them
        in the toaster oven to dry out/renew. I am curious what other
        folks do, particularly those near the sea with humid salt air.

        --
        Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
        P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
        (Hopkins Village) Belize
        011-501-503-7346 Belize
        011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
        or
        5204 Texas Highway 49 W
        Omaha, TX 75571-6474
        U.S.A.
        903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
        903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
        Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
        PG1915841
        Skype: v31joepalooka
        http://www.justanswer.com/lp-1eh8-tool-repair
        I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
        V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691
      • Jerry Durand
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 17, 2013
          On 09/16/2013 08:57 AM, Joe V31JP wrote:
          > I would love to be able to dehumidify my shop down here, but the cost of
          > current (electricity) here prevents even remotely considering it.
          > Since moving here to the Caribbean 16 years ago, it is a constant
          > battle.

          The biggest killer of tools and electronics is Condensing Humidity.
          That's when the temperature drops and you get water droplets on the
          surface. You'll see electronics rated for 95% non-condensing, it's not
          the moisture, it's the droplets.

          With metal tools they typically cool off overnight and then when the air
          heats up the next day moisture condenses on them. If you can prevent
          this cycling, you'll be a long way towards stopping damage. You want to
          keep the room temperature as constant as possible. That could be as
          simple as insulation or may mean heating or cooling.

          At the very least, you want the tools to stay warm overnight, covering
          with a blanket might help there.

          tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
          Skype: jerrydurand
        • Joe V31JP
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 17, 2013
            Excellent, Jerry.

            I use that with my electronic equipment, low but constant heat. I have
            been looking at tool/machine coverings.
            On occasions, I see non-breathing covers are not good and causes rust to
            appear quicker. So, I am thinking
            of something like moving pads. Our temperature ranges from 78??F to 98??F
            on average, but does dip into the
            40s on rare occasions and sometimes goes into the 100s, also rare. With
            the sea about 100 metres away,
            humidity is high and our dew point is also high. I may put in low
            Wattage lamps in the lower part of my tool
            cabinet as well.

            This reminded me of problem years ago with relays. They were in an
            environment that had oil fumes. Operating
            during the day, they were warm from actuation. In the evening, they
            cooled down, the air contracted and
            drew in the oil laden air. Within a week, the relays were failing
            because of the oil with other contaminates
            condensing on the relay contacts!

            --
            Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
            P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
            (Hopkins Village) Belize
            011-501-503-7346 Belize
            011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
            or
            5204 Texas Highway 49 W
            Omaha, TX 75571-6474
            U.S.A.
            903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
            903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
            Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
            PG1915841
            Skype: v31joepalooka
            http://www.justanswer.com/lp-1eh8-tool-repair
            I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
            V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691
          • WAM
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 17, 2013
              I use Boeshield. T9 It also contains waxes. I have chucks that are about
              16 years old - no rust at all.

              My late-father-in-law's machinist tools sat in a Gerstner for about 15
              years after he died. Lot of rust. I used Rust Free and Jasco to get the
              rust off and then did a heavy coat of T-9 - so far so good.

              I was talking to the guy at Walton Tools (they make the tap holder The
              Viper shows on Youtube) and he mentioned some sort of dip that they use.
              Looks/smells similar to the stuff Channel Lock use to use on some of
              their tools.

              On a thread on the Chesapeake CAMS list a while back, people mentioned
              using camphor (Google camphor rust prevention machinists ) - they
              mentioned that it sublimes on the tools in the drawer. Similar to the
              vapor phase corrosion inhibitors (
              http://www.texastechnologies.com/corrosion-control/vapor-phase-corrosion-inhibitor-VCI.htm
              ) I'm guessing...

              LMS has something similar:
              http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3991&category=

              Joe V31JP wrote:

              >I would love to be able to dehumidify my shop down here, but the cost of
              >current (electricity) here prevents even remotely considering it.
              >Since moving here to the Caribbean 16 years ago, it is a constant
              >battle. Miss a wipe down with oil after cleaning, it's a trip to the
              >buffer.
              >Typically, I use motor oil and some finer tools, I use a metal polish
              >that has carborundum wax in it. Cased tools, I keep the little packs of
              >crystals that comes packed with some new items and occasionally put them
              >in the toaster oven to dry out/renew. I am curious what other
              >folks do, particularly those near the sea with humid salt air.
              >
              >On 9/14/2013 1:11 PM, john baird wrote:
              >

              >>A dehumidifier is an essential part of keeping tools rust free,
              >>especially in an unheated shop!

            • earl.white98
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 17, 2013

                I use a couple of methods in my machinst tool box for rust prevention.

                #1 is the paper that comes with new guns or dial calipers. It's a brown stiff oily looking stuff that seems to stop rust before it starts. But it's scarce.

                #2 there are de-humidifier "tablets" that come in most vitamin bottles. I save these out and sprinkle them into my machinist tool box like they were moth balls or something.

                #3 plastic zip lock bags and lightly spray down with Liquid Wrench spray on penetrant.

                #4 DO NOT USE WD-40 ON ANYTHING YOU WANT TO KEEP. iT ATTRACTS MOISTURE LIKE A MAGNET!

                I USED TO LIVE IN FLORIDA WHERE THE HUMIDITY IS VERY HIGH. ONE DAY I WAS CLEANING MY DRILL PRESS CHUCK WITH STEEL WOOL AND SCOTCH BRITE.

                i GOT OFF ALL THE SURFACE RUST DOWN TO SHINY BARE METAL.

                nOT KNOWING ABOUT WD-40, i SPRAYED IT DOWN UNTIL IT WAS WET WITH WD-40.

                NEXT DAY I CAME BACK AND THE CHUCK WAS BROWN WITH RUST AGAIN. !!!

                NO MORE WD-40 FOR RUST PREVENTION. (CONTAINS FISH OIL)

                tHERE IS ALSO BOESHIELD  (VERY NICE) AND MP FROM AMSOIL. BOTH OF THESE ARE FINE PRODUCTS.

                tHE aMSOIL PRODUCT CALLED  MP (mETAL PROTECTOR) IS LIKE A SPRAY ON COSMOLENE, SO IT ACTUALLY COATS THE METAL IN COSMOLENE.

                tHE BOESHIELD IS A THINNER VERSION WITH LESS BUILD UP. THEY USE IT ON AIRCRAFT PARTS THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO PROTECT FROM CORROSION.

                Earl White

                --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, <mlathemods@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                I would love to be able to dehumidify my shop down here, but the cost of
                current (electricity) here prevents even remotely considering it.
                Since moving here to the Caribbean 16 years ago, it is a constant
                battle. Miss a wipe down with oil after cleaning, it's a trip to the
                buffer.
                Typically, I use motor oil and some finer tools, I use a metal polish
                that has carborundum wax in it. Cased tools, I keep the little packs of
                crystals that comes packed with some new items and occasionally put them
                in the toaster oven to dry out/renew. I am curious what other
                folks do, particularly those near the sea with humid salt air.

                On 9/14/2013 1:11 PM, john baird wrote:
                > A dehumidifier is an essential part of keeping tools rust free,
                > especially in an unheated shop!

                --
                Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
                P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
                (Hopkins Village) Belize
                011-501-503-7346 Belize
                011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
                or
                5204 Texas Highway 49 W
                Omaha, TX 75571-6474
                U.S.A.
                903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
                903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
                Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
                PG1915841
                Skype: v31joepalooka
                http://www.justanswer.com/lp-1eh8-tool-repair
                I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
                V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691
              • Martin Burnette
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 17, 2013
                  The blankets or pads that I mentioned are cloth quilted type and will prevent oil laided air from leaching past the blanket. Now having sensitive electronic equipment in a machine shop I can understand with all of the CNC applications so caution is called for. Also Oil laided air can enter a dehumidifier and be a source for ignition also. Due to the heat.

                  Martin

                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 17, 2013
                    Hi,

                    I live in Charleston and very close to the sea and I spray/wipe my 11 lathes, two milling machines and various other machines with a light oil. When not in use I cover them with the quilted moving blankets from Harbor freight which are real cheap, about 5 dollars for a twin size blanket and they are real thick. They keep the temperature even underneath and moisture off of the metal. I learned this when I was stationed with the Navy in the Philipines in the 70's since the locals didn't have A/C or dehumudifiers.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 17, 2013
                      I use these meters in the shop:
                      http://www.flukerfarms.com/temperaturegauges.aspx

                      Fairly accurate... made for reptile tanks.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 17, 2013
                        Thank you for pointing out the T9. I will order a kit I found for $9.99
                        of the rust removal & preventer. I normally use
                        the electrolysis, but there are a couple impressive reviews. Especially
                        regarding bike chains, a constant maintenance
                        chore here with 4 bicycles. Also, I have used the camphor blocks here
                        and that reminded me I am out. We use
                        camphor in baby oil for mosquito repellent.

                        On 9/17/2013 11:41 AM, WAM wrote:
                        > I use Boeshield. T9 It also contains waxes. I have chucks that are about
                        > 16 years old - no rust at all.
                        >

                        > My late-father-in-law's machinist tools sat in a Gerstner for about 15
                        > years after he died. Lot of rust. I used Rust Free and Jasco to get the
                        > rust off and then did a heavy coat of T-9 - so far so good.
                        >

                        > I was talking to the guy at Walton Tools (they make the tap holder The
                        > Viper shows on Youtube) and he mentioned some sort of dip that they use.
                        > Looks/smells similar to the stuff Channel Lock use to use on some of
                        > their tools.
                        >

                        > On a thread on the Chesapeake CAMS list a while back, people mentioned
                        > using camphor (Google camphor rust prevention machinists ) - they
                        > mentioned that it sublimes on the tools in the drawer. Similar to the
                        > vapor phase corrosion inhibitors (
                        > http://www.texastechnologies.com/corrosion-control/vapor-phase-corrosion-inhibitor-VCI.htm
                        > ) I'm guessing...
                        >

                        > LMS has something similar:
                        > http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3991&category=

                        --
                        Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
                        P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
                        (Hopkins Village) Belize
                        011-501-503-7346 Belize
                        011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
                        or
                        5204 Texas Highway 49 W
                        Omaha, TX 75571-6474
                        U.S.A.
                        903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
                        903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
                        Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
                        PG1915841
                        Skype: v31joepalooka
                        http://www.justanswer.com/lp-1eh8-tool-repair
                        I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
                        V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691
                      • Hartley Falbaum
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 17, 2013
                          I use LPS 1 for fine tools, like Micrometers and calipers, and other stuff.
                          Works well in Georgia USA--hot and humid, or cold and humid, but always humid.

                          It leaves a silky smooth coating.

                          LPS 3 leaves a waxy coat like Boeshield--good for difficult areas.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 18, 2013
                            Thank you, Earl.

                            Yes, I failed to say, I do not use WD-40 here at all.???? For a penetrating oil, I KROIL and it works even better
                            then Blaster????? Could not even find that here, but bought and brought back KROIL last trip to the States.
                            I then follow up with regular oil, weight depending on the used, from sewing machine oil, turbine oil to 40W
                            engine oil. I would almost best there is water in WD-40 the way it seems to rust.

                            That brown paper you mentioned is similar to light fishpaper, but...

                            And I keep those little packs that come in everything, from items to pill bottles.
                            I take them out and put them in my little toaster oven to dry them out.

                            After the first of the month, I am ordering some of the T9.???? Living in Florida, you can appreciate my environment
                            down here.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 18, 2013
                              If you can't get enough silica  gel by saving pill packets, craft stores such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby sell silica gel in large containers for drying flowers; and it's pretty inexpensive. It's the same stuff which  can be reactivated by a trip to the oven.
                            • Joe V31JP
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 18, 2013
                                Thank you, James.

                                My daughters are always going to Hobby Lobby, so I will go with them
                                next trip up and bring some back as packing for my goodies
                                that trip. My first set of callipers have gone west because I did not
                                keep a pack in its case.I have a glass jar that I put/keep
                                any packs I get in stuff. I take them all out and bake them from time
                                to time and when I rotate any.

                                On 9/18/2013 10:10 AM, James Snowdon wrote:
                                > If you can't get enough silica gel by saving pill packets, craft
                                > stores such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby sell silica gel in large
                                > containers for drying flowers; and it's pretty inexpensive. It's the
                                > same stuff which can be reactivated by a trip to the oven.

                                --
                                Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
                                P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
                                (Hopkins Village) Belize
                                011-501-503-7346 Belize
                                011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
                                or
                                5204 Texas Highway 49 W
                                Omaha, TX 75571-6474
                                U.S.A.
                                903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
                                903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
                                Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
                                PG1915841
                                Skype: v31joepalooka
                                http://www.justanswer.com/lp-1eh8-tool-repair
                                I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
                                V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691
                              • Tony Smith
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 19, 2013

                                  Kitty litter is even cheaper.

                                  You want the stuff that looks like crystals, preferably without the blue bit (they’re scented).

                                  I saw a 6 litre (~1.5 gallon) tub for about $15 recently.

                                  Pet aisle in the supermarket.

                                  Tony

                                  If you can't get enough silica  gel by saving pill packets, craft stores such as Michael's and Hobby Lobby sell silica gel in large containers for drying flowers; and it's pretty inexpensive. It's the same stuff which  can be reactivated by a trip to the oven.

                                • tech_plumber
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 19, 2013

                                    Rust removal (similar to Evapo-Rust): http://www.cortecvci.com/Products/single.php?code=10244

                                    Rust Prevention, pick your poison:
                                    http://slideproducts.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?cat=rust+preventives

                                    The econ "blue" might be better for a salt-air environment.

                                    I've had good luck using a general 70% blend of 30W-20W synthetic motor oil, 20% Marvel's Mystery Oil, and 10% Mineral spirits for most machine lubrication and tool wipe-down.

                                    Heavy Duck-canvas machine covers are a must and reduced my rusting problems by at least 50%.

                                    A 5lb. container of Silica Powder will last forever!  Hobby Lobby has 40% off coupons all the time.  Place it in salt shakers or empty spice containers with a fabric "trap" to prevent spillage.  I use round cutouts from dust masks.  Good for ammo cans too, along with a semiconductor parts moisture indicator card thrown in.

                                    Microwave used desiccant at a medium power setting in a glass baking pan for 5-10 minutes and let cool to re-activate. Stir and repeat if you have more than 1/4" of desiccant.  It's actually better to do in a regular oven, but it takes about 30-45 minutes at 225F, plus cool-down time.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 19, 2013
                                      I have used some of their products in electronic equipment cabinets. The
                                      other hints are great, also.

                                      I have two toaster ovens in my shop for drying and baking some finishes
                                      and for drying cleaned
                                      parts thoroughly, so drying out the desiccant is easy. I just bought a
                                      box of salt at the store today
                                      and I had to put it in the nuke oven already or it will turn into a salt
                                      lick block fast! ☺

                                      I will try that oil mixture, also. I, also, heat my oils here from time
                                      to time to drive out moisture.
                                      It surprised me the first time with the amount of steam that came out.

                                      On 9/19/2013 8:19 AM, renais_sance@... wrote:
                                      > Rust removal (similar to Evapo-Rust):
                                      > http://www.cortecvci.com/Products/single.php?code=10244

                                      --
                                      Regards, Joe, Ronnie (Rowena), Marty & Sidney Pontek
                                      P.O. Box 280, Dangriga, Stann Creek District
                                      (Hopkins Village) Belize
                                      011-501-503-7346 Belize
                                      011-501-666-3564 Belize (cellular)
                                      or
                                      5204 Texas Highway 49 W
                                      Omaha, TX 75571-6474
                                      U.S.A.
                                      903-434-9429 (My cellular when in Texas)
                                      903-884-5990 (Skype telephone number)
                                      Also, K8JP, member FOC-1743, CWops-876, QCWA-LM21894, OOTC-4607, A1OP, SKCC-3171T, NAQCC-5798, Flying Pig-2819, FISTS-7625CC951, A1C-2299,
                                      PG1915841
                                      Skype: v31joepalooka
                                      http://www.justanswer.com/lp-1eh8-tool-repair
                                      I am looking for Vibroplex Model X, Double lever and prefer basket cases to restore.
                                      V3FOC, I am SKCC 10691
                                    • MERTON B BAKER
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 20, 2013
                                        & if you put a little Phenolphthalein dye in with the gel, it turns pink when it needs the oven, & a nice blue when it comes out ready to remove moisture.

                                        Mert

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 20, 2013
                                          Interesting.  Now to find it here. It dissolves in alcohol.  I am stopping by the pharmacist today in town, I hope.