Re: [mlathemods] Re: Chuck Mounting

  • Donald Qualls
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 5, 2003
      jcee324 wrote:
      > Hello.
      >
      > I've uploaded some pictures of my chuck mounting device to "photos"
      > in this group.

      That looks like something I made to adapt a woodworking chuck with 3/4"
      - 10 tpi thread (before finding that the chuck wasn't adequate for my
      needs). Isn't there an issue with a) loss of working space, and b)
      increased overhang with the additional distance and narrow "neck" behind
      the chuck? Or maybe it's not a problem, but I'd think it would increase
      any existing chatter condition as well as shortening the longest part
      that can be worked between chuck and center.

      In fact, it look as if you've both adapted the mini-lathe to take
      threaded back chucks, and adapted the original mini-lathe chuck to work
      on a threaded spindle, which (if you have another lathe with threaded
      spindle) could add significant versatility -- does that overcome the
      drawbacks above?

      --
      I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
      -- E. J. Fudd, 1954

      Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
      Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
      Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

      and don't expect them to be perfect.
    • J e
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 13, 2003
        Hello Donald!

        You are right about that this device takes some work space from the lathe, about 50mm. It also increases the overhang but it's that little that it doesn't mater if you just takes it easy (but you shall take it easy even if you don't use this device). I think it works really good.

        Je

        Donald Qualls <silent1@...> wrote:
        jcee324 wrote:
        > Hello.
        >
        > I've uploaded some pictures of my chuck mounting device to "photos"
        > in this group.

        That looks like something I made to adapt a woodworking chuck with 3/4"
        - 10 tpi thread (before finding that the chuck wasn't adequate for my
        needs). Isn't there an issue with a) loss of working space, and b)
        increased overhang with the additional distance and narrow "neck" behind
        the chuck? Or maybe it's not a problem, but I'd think it would increase
        any existing chatter condition as well as shortening the longest part
        that can be worked between chuck and center.

        In fact, it look as if you've both adapted the mini-lathe to take
        threaded back chucks, and adapted the original mini-lathe chuck to work
        on a threaded spindle, which (if you have another lathe with threaded
        spindle) could add significant versatility -- does that overcome the
        drawbacks above?

        --
        I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
        -- E. J. Fudd, 1954

        Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
        Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
        Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

        and don't expect them to be perfect.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Gå före i kön och få din sajt värderad på nolltid med Yahoo! Express

      • Donald Qualls
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 13, 2003
          J e wrote:

          > Hello Donald!
          >
          > You are right about that this device takes some work space from the lathe, about 50mm. It also increases the overhang but it's that little that it doesn't mater if you just takes it easy (but you shall take it easy even if you don't use this device). I think it works really good.

          Well, I don't take it all that easy on my 7x12; after recently (finally
          -- why don't they include the 2 mm hex key and 7 mm wrench for that with
          the lathe?) tightening the gibs, I was taking .040" cuts on drill rod
          with a sharp HSS tool (though feeding somewhat slower than the fine
          power feed).

          Still, if you need to change chucks frequently, I can see the utility of
          having them on a screw thread...

          --
          I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
          -- E. J. Fudd, 1954

          Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
          Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
          Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

          and don't expect them to be perfect.
        • eferg2001
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 14, 2003
            I've made a threaded chuck adapter like the one in your first photo,
            except I cheated and made it from two pieces. I purchased a
            backplate from LittleMachineShop.com and cut a relief to accept a
            3/4" x 16 threaded adapter from Taig. The Taig adapter is made to
            mount to a mill table so you can screw on their chuck to hold work
            for milling. I set the adapter into the relieved backplate and
            drilled & tapped two holes to mount it using lock-tite. With this
            adapter I use the Taig 4-jaw "soft jaw" chuck. I machined the
            replaceable jaws to hold a specific piece I make repetitively.
            Because you machine the jaws in situ, it runs true.

            Regards,
            Ed Ferguson