Howdy!!!

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 28, 2013
      Just bought a 9X20 in pristine condition from a fellow member of a forum I moderate on. Now I have to tool and gear up for a larger machine. I have a 7X10 (HF 93212) and a HF5980 3-N-1 already. I bought the 9X to expand my capability without breaking the bank. The next machine in the list is a BP or clone mill. I have a CNC Plasma table, mills, lathes, welders, hand and power tools and all manner of metal working tools and I am looking forward to adding the 9X to my arsenal. Hope to see and meet a bunch of folks here over time. I am medically retired and disabled so my shop is my playpen when I am well enough to play.

      Wheelchair Bob
    • aalloway
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2013
        Bob,
        Welcome and hi-ya from Alaska. Have most of the same tools as you. However
        "NO" CNC or DRO, don't have never will. Counting 4 years military time as a
        "radio man", I have 38 years as a broadcast engineer. I love the precision
        of the dials and learning the "old timers" way, sort of "my thing"! Plus
        I'll never do any mass production work. Like you said "my shop is my playpen
        ". Avocation not vocation :) I've met some very bright machinists here,
        unfortunately I'm not one of em!
        see-ya again,
        Allen, on an island in Alaska

        > Just bought a 9X20 in pristine condition from a fellow member of a forum I
        > moderate on. Now I have to tool and gear up for a larger machine. I have
        > a 7X10 (HF 93212) and a HF5980 3-N-1 already. I bought the 9X to expand
        > my capability without breaking the bank. The next machine in the list is
        > a BP or clone mill. I have a CNC Plasma table, mills, lathes, welders,
        > hand and power tools and all manner of metal working tools and I am
        > looking forward to adding the 9X to my arsenal. Hope to see and meet a
        > bunch of folks here over time. I am medically retired and disabled so my
        > shop is my playpen when I am well enough to play.
        >
        > Wheelchair Bob

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2013
          I feel ya!!! The Only CNC I have any interest in is on my Plasma table for doing art. The rest of all of my machines are bare boned and manual.. I have been trying to learn how to produce high quality parts and a lot of one off items so CNC has little appeal to me in my particular field of play too. I like the feeling of turning the handwheels to get the desired result, sometimes I over do it or just flub it up, but that's still a part of the fun for me.

          Bob