Re: JW Early Supported By Latest US Supreme Court Decision...but too late!!!

  • tramuntana@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 23 1:24 AM
      Let me clear a few misconceptions!
      Jim Early actually put articles from ME on the net- for free.
      As far as I am aware, it was NOT, repeat NOT his or anyone's intention to receive any financial gain. The intention was to help fill the loss of information available to newcomers in model engineering which was happening over the years.

      As far as I am aware, there is considerable doubt about 'copyright' as there are three or four instances where contributions to Model Engineer are available in book form. One is Chaddock's The Quorn, the other is Screwcutting in the Lathe and the remaining two the books of George Thomas.

      Sadly, Jim Early is dead- and so is the prime evidence.

      All that remains is critics -in retrospect. Sadly, these are always about.
    • andyf1108
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 23 8:07 AM
        It's all a bit academic, now, but the question of whether or not the "unauthorized reproducer" gets paid is immaterial.

        The real point is that the copyright owner is deprived of potential income if folk can access unauthorized reproductions of the material in question.

        I have no doubt that Prof Chaddock and G H Thomas either retained ownership of the copyright in the articles they wrote for Model Engineer (merely licensing the then owners of ME to reproduce their work), or (if they had assigned the copyright) made siutable arrangements with those owners. I was not aware that any of Martin Cleeve's "Screwcutting in the Lathe" had already appeared in the same form in ME, but it may be so.

        Andy

        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "tramuntana@..." <tramuntana@...> wrote:

        > Let me clear a few misconceptions!
        > Jim Early actually put articles from ME on the net- for free.
        > As far as I am aware, it was NOT, repeat NOT his or anyone's intention to receive any financial gain. The intention was to help fill the loss of information available to newcomers in model engineering which was happening over the years.
        >
        > As far as I am aware, there is considerable doubt about 'copyright' as there are three or four instances where contributions to Model Engineer are available in book form. One is Chaddock's The Quorn, the other is Screwcutting in the Lathe and the remaining two the books of George Thomas.
        >
        > Sadly, Jim Early is dead- and so is the prime evidence.
        >
        > All that remains is critics -in retrospect. Sadly, these are always about.

      • Tony Smith
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 23 8:35 AM
          > Let me clear a few misconceptions!
          > Jim Early actually put articles from ME on the net- for free.
          > As far as I am aware, it was NOT, repeat NOT his or anyone's intention to
          receive
          > any financial gain. The intention was to help fill the loss of information
          available
          > to newcomers in model engineering which was happening over the years.
          >
          > As far as I am aware, there is considerable doubt about 'copyright' as
          there are
          > three or four instances where contributions to Model Engineer are
          available in
          > book form. One is Chaddock's The Quorn, the other is Screwcutting in the
          Lathe
          > and the remaining two the books of George Thomas.
          >
          > Sadly, Jim Early is dead- and so is the prime evidence.
          >
          > All that remains is critics -in retrospect. Sadly, these are always about.

          In good intentions vs copyright, good intentions loses every time.

          The 'for free' doesn't matter, JWE did not have permission to publish (most
          of*) those articles. Someone owned the copyright to them; be it ME, the
          original writers or the book publishers, it wasn't JWE.

          If I write an article, I own its copyright. I can give permission to have
          it published in a book or magazine. If I sell it, then that person owns the
          copyright and they can publish it however they like, I no longer can.

          I'm not sure what misconceptions you think there are, copyright is pretty
          simple. Not yours? Don't publish it.

          Tony

          * everything after 1923.
        • RICHARD SCHWANKE
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 29 6:32 PM
            I am comparatively new to this group. In my old life I had a Sears lathe which was a copy of the Atlas with a 12" swing which I purchased in the 1950s and sold in 1995 when I moved into a retirement community. In addition to the normal tools, holders, collets I also had a home made milling attachment and a floor model antique shaper.

            I now live in an apartment where I can only manage a 7" mini-lathe. I would like to to gain access to the books referred to. Are they still in print???

            Dick
          • neils_morr
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30 8:30 AM
              http://www.lathes.co.uk/books.htm

              These are in print. You can get some of them from Busy Bee Tools (Canada) by mail or in person.

              http://www.busybeetools.com/

              Neil

              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD SCHWANKE <rschwanke2@...> wrote:

              > I now live in an apartment where I can only manage a 7" mini-lathe. I would like to to gain access to the books referred to. Are they still in print???
              >
              > Dick
            • oldstudentmsgt
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 31 8:50 AM
                www.thebookdepository.com also has many of them. I have three coming right now, based on another customer,s recommendation. The ones I ordered were on sale, and free shipping. Should be here in a week or so. WPS 48, and a couple by Harold Hall.

                Amazon often has them, but about twice as expensive + shipping.

                Bill in OKC