Help wiring lathemaster rotary switch

  • grengerx
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25, 2013
      Due to a very bad moving company services my 8X12 lathemaster was knocked around and the rotary switch went south together with the wiring sequence on it ,could anyone post a pic of theirs wired?
      thamks
    • grengerx
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2013
        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "grengerx" <grengerx@...> wrote:

        > Due to a very bad moving company services my 8X12 lathemaster was knocked around and the rotary switch went south together with the wiring sequence on it ,could anyone post a pic of theirs wired?
        > thamks

        Any takers? I`ll really appreciate a pic or drawing or anything to help me wire the switch back the way it was,I`ve tried several times but I`m afraid to burn the motor if I keep muddling with it
      • neils_morr
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
          Can you post a pic of what's left and a pic of the motor name plate?

          Neil

          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "grengerx" <grengerx@...> wrote:

          > Due to a very bad moving company services my 8X12 lathemaster was knocked around and the rotary switch went south together with the wiring sequence on it ,could anyone post a pic of theirs wired?
          > thamks

        • grengerx
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
            Just posted a few pics, thanks a lot(rotary switch woes) is the name of the album
          • neils_morr
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
              OK. Does this run off a regular 120 VAC outlet? Does it offer two speeds, forward and reverse? Can you see a capacitor (cylinder about 4" long, 2" diameter)?

              Neil

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
                --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "neils_morr" <neilsmorr@...> wrote:

                > OK. Does this run off a regular 120 VAC outlet? Does it offer two speeds, forward and reverse? Can you see a capacitor (cylinder about 4" long, 2" diameter)?
                >
                > Neil
                >
                > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "grengerx" <grengerx@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Just posted a few pics, thanks a lot(rotary switch woes) is the name of the album

                Yes it does uses 120vac ,2 speed forward and reverse and no capacitor is visible
              • Robert Francis
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
                  Just looking at your pics, it would appear the wiring of the switch
                  matches the switch, just match the numbers.
                • Robert Francis
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
                    of course you will need to trace the wires as you go. Time consuming but
                    not difficult.
                  • Robert Francis
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
                      By the way, you can download an owners manual from their web site.
                      That's where I got the picture/ diagram of the switch wiring.
                    • grengerx
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
                        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Robert Francis <bobf0648@...> wrote:

                        > of course you will need to trace the wires as you go. Time consuming but
                        > not difficult.

                        Just finished tracing the wiring ,it looks straight forward as follow,white(Z2)blue(U2)black(V1)red(Z1),the schematics don`t match the wiring,(no surprises there considering the machine`s procedence),after wiring the switch as it is reflected on the schematics,nothing happens,when wired according to a previous drawing of the wiring(except for the missing location of the white wire(z2))the motor hums but don`t spin,tried a few places for the white wire ,on one of them the motor finally spins but only in one direction(clockwise) and with the rotary switch in the center position,forward or reverse switch positions don`t work.I`m afraid of shorting something out ,if I keep pressing my luck regarding the white wire connection,without a clear picture of the switch internals.Thanks for all the help
                      • grengerx
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 1, 2013
                          Correction capacitor visible now.
                        • neils_morr
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 2, 2013
                            Almost certainly you have a motor which is PSC (permanent split capacitor) and 2 pole / 4 pole wired.

                            They're pretty simple. Does this help?

                            Neil