Repair Rack and gear for g4000

  • Mar
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2012
      I acquired a G4000 with a badly chewed rack and engaging gear, both beyond repair. Looking for advise to replace or make these, especially the rack.

      Thanks
    • MERTON B BAKER
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
        Have you tried Griz Customer Service?  Never gave making a rack gear much thought, but in the last minute or two, have though that it would require a simple milling setup, but an unusual sort of horizontal miller.  Perhaps a specially shaped endmill would work on a standard Bridgeport?  I would have to think that's how they are machined.

        Mert

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
          What length do you need? I upgraded my HF 7x10 and have a spare rack. Others may have similar so you could piece them together. Just a thought.
          Robert Spinden. Redeeming The Time LLC. 1000 W. Finch Dr. Nampa, Idaho 83651. 208-546-8050
        • jandtsc
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2012
            Hi,

            A rack has straight tooth (no envelute) they are slanted 20 deg and have a depth of 2.25 times module. The pitch is module times pi.

            Best regards,

            Jan,

            The Netherlands,
          • Robert Redeeming The Time
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 10, 2012
              Please post photo.
              Robert Spinden. Redeeming The Time LLC. 1000 W. Finch Dr. Nampa, Idaho 83651. 208-546-8050
            • SirJohnOfYork
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 10, 2012
                Grizzly G4000 9x19 Bench Top Lathe

                Parts List - The rack is Ref number 1302 on page 69 - Part # P40001302. I assume the Part # is the replacement part # required? Call Grizzly...!
                Manual

                Please post photo.