Centering large stock

  • markust74
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 22, 2012
      Hello all. I'm a newbie here.
      I have a 7x10 mini and am having trouble centering a 3/4 SS 303 rod in the chuck
      I've used my mag base caliper and got close but still off some. The rod is 4" and already smooth. Need help please!
      I have new stuff on the way QCTP, follower and steady rest but need help in the meantime please.
      Thank you
      Mark
    • MERTON B BAKER
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 22, 2012
        1.  If you are using the OE 3 jaw chuck, it is the rare exception that will perfectly center round stock, even at one jaw setting.
        2.  If you are using a good 4 jaw chuck and have that rod centered perfectly at the chuck, 4" away, that rod may be bent 2 or 3 thou, and not be centered.
        3. A 500 dollar Chinese mini lathe is not a $10,000 Rivett or Hardinge, and you cannot expect perfection from the machine.  You can easily achieve pretty close to it, if you start with stuff a bit oversize in that 3 jaw, and leave it in the chuck until all the machining is done before parting it off.

        Mert