Re: Turret tooling

  • localele42
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 23, 2012
      Big thanks to Anthony for sending me over some pdf's of articles on tooling. I will read them all today and of course have saved the info for future reference.This is what makes forums work .Having people spend a little time to help out is much appreciated and if the info. is useful to more than just me ithan the thanks can be multiplied many times over.
      Cheers from Micheal.
    • Filip Atanassov
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 24, 2012
      • Filip Atanassov
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 25, 2012
          sorry, sent by mistake

        • Micheal Connor
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 25, 2012
            Had a look at the clip anyway. It is an interesting design.
            Cheers from Micheal
            Ph. 02 6628 4385
            Mob. 0414 663399
            www.michealconnorwoodwork.com.au
          • WAM
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 30, 2012
              Some fun mods to my LMS 7x12:
              http://home.comcast.net/~ajawam3/swarf/swarf.htm#LMS_4100_Mods

              PDF of the parts and over assembly; 3D EDWG of the mods...

              Micheal Connor wrote:

              >Had a look at the clip anyway. It is an interesting design.
              >Cheers from Micheal
              >Ph. 02 6628 4385
              >Mob. 0414 663399
              >www.michealconnorwoodwork.com.au

            • Corey Renner
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 30, 2012
                Some great info on your site, I found the "Shars Reader head mod" especially useful.  I've got a Shumatech DRO-350 and I never had any "noise" issues for 5+ years.  I eventually checked the batteries (they are difficult to reach in my install) and found that both were over-charged and one was leaking.  Clearly, they were stealing power from the Shumatech.  On the advice of others, I replaced the batteries with caps, and now I have a "noise" problem like so many others.  It makes no sense if the problem is actually noise, and it makes complete sense if the problem is a brownout of the scale's cpu on power-down as you suggest.

                Nice work.

                cheers,

                Micheal Connor wrote:

                >Had a look at the clip anyway. It is an interesting design.
                >Cheers from Micheal
                >Ph. 02 6628 4385
                >Mob. 0414 663399
                >www.michealconnorwoodwork.com.au

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    mlathemods-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mlathemods-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • WAM
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 30, 2012
                  Yea, I've been doing microcontroller development since 1995.... Old 6805/11's, early PIC's. We went to Atmel back in 1998 which was great for what we do.

                  When i benched it and saw what it was doing it reminded me of stuff I'd seen in the past with some of my designs. The parasitic power issue that Shars' supplier did with the yellow relays.

                  I will say that you need to ground the crap out of everything too.. Those brass colored wires are that RadShack speaker cable for under carpets. Split apart, it makes great RF grounding strap; I use it on my low bandwidth vector network analyser. Wire is not the best for HF grounding; I recall some pretty elaborate ground systems used on terrestrial microwave sites - big fat copper straps.

                  The LMS BLDC  drive puts out a bit of HF noise; I have a spares kit of a motor and drive. When I tested it on the bench I fired up my Tek spectrum analyser -  it's really apparent. Without bonding the Shars reader head power rail ground (which is standard neg ground) to the lathe and the scales, the numbers on the reader would jump a bit with the spindle motor on.

                  Also - I've seen deep discharges bloat and leak those LR44's... older first generation calipers would do that if they'd be left on the shelf and deep discharge the coin cell.

                  http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/A76Z.pdf

                  Note where it states:
                  This battery will bulge as it is discharged,
                  but will not exceed the maximum height
                  shown on the battery drawing.

                  SR44 - http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/357-303ZB.pdf
                  Note the cut off voltage is 1.2V