Re: [mlathemods] Group owner change

  • Woodhenge
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 4, 2012
      G'day all,

      I am here mainly to garner knowledge from those who are far more
      experienced with these devices than I. I have little to contribute in
      the way of knowledge but I am generally considered to be a really good
      group administrator in the groups I own or moderate. "Fair, firm, and
      friendly".

      I am happy to be thrown into a poll as owner or moderator or whatever,
      to keep yahell happy. and to make up the numbers. Like Glen, I don't
      expect to garner any votes, but as soon as we go through the motions the
      better. If by any chance the group goes insane, and appoints me to do
      something, I could commit to preforming, whatever role, to the best of
      my ability.

      Regards

      Leif

      -----
      No virus found in this message.
    • Corey Renner
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 4, 2012
        Thank you for volunteering Leif.

        I'm going to start the poll either late tonight, or tomorrow morning.  We are allowed to have up to 25 candidates, but once the poll starts, we can not add candidates without restarting the poll, which I'm not going to do.  So, anyone that would like to add their name, please speak up in the next 7 hours or so.  The poll will run for about a week (per Yahoo), then we will hopefully have a new owner.

        In the mean-time, please ignore my earlier email that asked you to quit mlathemods and join ml_lathemods.  Once this is settled one way or the other, I will help put things right for our members that moved with as little hassle to them as possible (if elected).  Also, please don't feel obligated to vote for me, I won't be offended in the least if someone else is chosen.  In fact, the way that I bungled this transition is a pretty good reason to vote for someone else ;)

        best,

        On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Woodhenge <woodhenge@...> wrote:
        I am happy to be thrown into a poll as owner or moderator or whatever,
        to keep yahell happy. and to make up the numbers. Like Glen, I don't
        expect to garner any votes, but as soon as we go through the motions the
        better.  If by any chance the group goes insane, and appoints me to do
        something, I could commit to preforming, whatever role, to the best of
        my ability.

        Regards

        Leif
      • RICHARD SCHWANKE
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 4, 2012

          I am pleased to have someone willing to take over. I am not a good administrator and the only sophisticated things I have accomplished are not possible with my current equipment

          Richard Schwanke

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 5, 2012
            On 03/04/2012 02:02 PM, Corey Renner wrote:

            > Two days ago, I announced that I would attempt to move the contents
            > and members of the mlathemods to a new group called ml_lathemods.
            > This was because JWE's death left the group with no owner, and
            > although JWE had made me a moderator, he had limited my rights to an
            > extent that management of the group was not possible (could not add or
            > remove members, etc.) I had done a bit of google searching to see if
            > it was possible to transfer ownership of the group, and the results
            > that I found seemed to indicate that there was no way forward.
            >
            > I received an email from a member of this group who said that it was
            > possible to change ownership of a group and he said that it had been
            > successfully accomplished with the barstockengines group. The
            > moderator (not owner) of that group since JWE died is Dirk Tollenaar,
            > whom I know since we run in a lot of the same circles. I spoke to him
            > and he confirmed that Yahoo was able to promote him to moderator of
            > that group after JWE's death by polling the members for a replacement,
            > he told me who to contact and wished me luck. I contacted Yahoo
            > yesterday and explained the situation, much to my surprise, I received
            > a reply today that says that under the circumstances, the mlathemods
            > group can conduct a poll and elect a new OWNER which would solve all
            > of our problems. I am attaching their message below for anyone that
            > would like to read it.
            >
            > To move forward with this, I need the names of a couple of members
            > that are willing to run for the position of owner, let's get 3 or 4 at
            > least. We need to run the poll for a week, then contact Yahoo again
            > with the results. If we are able to successfully transfer the group
            > ownership, then it's my intention to close the new replacement group
            > (ml_lathemods) and concentrate our resources here. I sincerely
            > apologize for the inconvenience that this will cause for those who
            > already switched, but they are a very small subset of our current
            > membership (about 75 out of 4500).
            >
            > I am officially announcing my run for owner of the old mlathemods
            > group. If elected, my first act will be to promote Neil Morrison to
            > the rank of owner as-well. He has been invaluable in helping to
            > transition the group and in-fact is the person that brought issues
            > with the old group to my attention in the first place. I would also
            > promote at least two other members to moderator status, so that we
            > never have this type of problem again.
            >
            > I need a few more names to begin the poll, if you want to be the owner
            > please speak-up. Even if you don't want to be the owner, but are
            > willing to let us stick your name on the poll so that it looks
            > legitamate to Yahoo please speak up.
            >
            > Thank you all for your patience.
            >
            > cheers,

            Corey,

            Excellent! If you're short on "owners" I'll volunteer, and would
            be happy to help moderate too. User name is wendtmk.

            Mark
          • Jim E.
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
              Corey:
              What about mlathemods1-->mlathemods5? Are you going to do the same
              thing if successful on this one?

              Graciously,
              Jim E.
              Lakewood, Calif.
              All Hail Rube Goldberg!

              Corey Renner wrote:

> [...]
              > remain open for a period of at least one week. Once the poll has closed,
              > please email a reply back to us, and we will appoint the "elected" owner.
              >
              > Please note that we will only be able to promote one owner, so we can
              > not accept multiple elected owners. However, the elected owner, once
              > promoted, will have the option to add additional owners/moderators if
              > they wish.
              >
              > If you are unable to locate another member who would like to be included
              > in the choices on the poll, you can put one owner choice and then a
              > second choice with something similar to "Leave the group as it is" or
              > "Make no changes to the ownership of this group."
              >
              > Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We look
              > forward to hearing from you once the poll has ended.
              >
              > Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Groups.

            • Corey Renner

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                  I'd respect Yahoo's terms of service and get rid of any material that obviously violates copyright and the rest I would move to this group if it's at all useful or interesting.  And then I'd shutdown the others

                  I'd also like to suggest starting a FAQ/database that would have links to some of the most interesting/useful discussions, files and photos on this group.  Making that information easier to find might help get this group going again.

                  And finally, I'd like to suggest that you have a "backup" group owner.  They wouldn't share decision making and would only take charge if whoever wins the election gets hit by a bus :-)

                  Rob

                  Yahoo Mini-Mills Group
                  MachinistBlog.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                    Hi Corey,

                    I think the initial statement was that all posts were to be made to the
                    base group, with only files going into the group1, group2, etc groups.

                    I'd say if they are now empty kill the groups off. If the group
                    revitalizes and begins to need more space down the road then you can add
                    another group when you need it without having to go through the entire
                    poll shenanigans again.

                    Yahoo can probably handle the group termination due to owners death
                    pretty quickly.

                    Thanks for keeping things going,
                    Stan

                    On 03/07/2012 01:49 PM, Corey Renner wrote:

                    > Well, we can see what our members want to do and go from there, but my
                    > initial thought is this: All of those sequentially numbered groups were
                    > put-in-place to handle the overflow from this group. JWE had scanned a
                    > million articles and was up against Yahoo's storage limitations, so he
                    > just kept creating more and more groups to handle the overflow. Since
                    > all of those articles have been removed for copyright reasons, those
                    > other groups don't seem to serve a purpose anymore. There is no
                    > discussion and there is almost no content. My instinct would be to
                    > consolidate any content in this group, then transfer ownership and
                    > shut-down those obsolete/abandoned groups. Extra groups just mean more
                    > places for spam to accumulate and additional administrative burden.
                    > They also potentially dilute our greatest resource, which is the
                    > discussion between members, since some discussions might take place on
                    > less-populated groups with limited membership That's just my gut
                    > instinct, I'm very open to hearing what others think we should do.
                    >
                    > cheers,

                  • Corey
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 8, 2012
                      It looks like polls cannot be created in the spillover groups: mlathemods1, 2,3,4,5. I sent an email to my contact at Yahoo to ask if they can open the polls so that we can follow the same procedure that we're using here to select a new owner and do something with those groups.

                      I'll post here when I hear back.

                      cheers,

                      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Stan Stocker <skstocker@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Corey,
                      >
                      > I think the initial statement was that all posts were to be made to the
                      > base group, with only files going into the group1, group2, etc groups.
                      >
                      > I'd say if they are now empty kill the groups off. If the group
                      > revitalizes and begins to need more space down the road then you can add
                      > another group when you need it without having to go through the entire
                      > poll shenanigans again.
                      >
                      > Yahoo can probably handle the group termination due to owners death
                      > pretty quickly.
                      >
                      > Thanks for keeping things going,
                      > Stan
                      >
                      > On 03/07/2012 01:49 PM, Corey Renner wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Well, we can see what our members want to do and go from there, but my
                      > > initial thought is this: All of those sequentially numbered groups were
                      > > put-in-place to handle the overflow from this group. JWE had scanned a
                      > > million articles and was up against Yahoo's storage limitations, so he
                      > > just kept creating more and more groups to handle the overflow. Since
                      > > all of those articles have been removed for copyright reasons, those
                      > > other groups don't seem to serve a purpose anymore. There is no
                      > > discussion and there is almost no content. My instinct would be to
                      > > consolidate any content in this group, then transfer ownership and
                      > > shut-down those obsolete/abandoned groups. Extra groups just mean more
                      > > places for spam to accumulate and additional administrative burden.
                      > > They also potentially dilute our greatest resource, which is the
                      > > discussion between members, since some discussions might take place on
                      > > less-populated groups with limited membership That's just my gut
                      > > instinct, I'm very open to hearing what others think we should do.
                      > >
                      > > cheers,

                    • Corey Renner
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 8, 2012
                        Wow, I've got to say that Yahoo is impressing me with their responsiveness, thanks to Rob for suggesting that I contact them and providing info on how to go about it.  Here is their reply (below), I'm going to set up polls in the other three groups that are actually abandoned later today.

                        <snip>
                        Hello Corey,

                        Thank you for contacting Yahoo! Groups.

                        I see that you have started an owner poll in the Yahoo! group "mlathemods", and that you are interested in conducting owner polls in several other related groups. I appreciate your continued communication, and I will be happy to look into your request.

                        Corey, with regard to the poll that you created in "mlathemods", I have confirmed that the poll is properly formatted. Please contact us again in a few days when the poll has closed, and we will verify the results.

                        As for the other groups you have mentioned, after reviewing the groups, I am able to offer the owner poll process for "mlathemods1", "mlathemods4", and "mlathemods5". I have gone ahead and adjusted the poll settings in these groups so that you can set up owner polls at your convenience. Please be sure to follow the same guidelines that you used when setting up the "mlathemods" poll, and contact us when the polls have concluded.

                        With regard to the "mlathemods3" and "mlathemods2" groups, I found that these groups already have a second owner. If you have concerns regarding the moderation of these groups, I encourage you to contact each group's owner. To do so, please send an email to:

                        GROUPNAME-owner@yahoogroups.com

                        Note: Replace "GROUPNAME" with the exact name of the group.

                        I hope I have addressed and understood your concern. If not, or if you still have questions, please don't hesitate to reply to this email and I will gladly assist you further.

                        On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Corey <vandal968@...> wrote:
                        It looks like polls cannot be created in the spillover groups: mlathemods1, 2,3,4,5.  I sent an email to my contact at Yahoo to ask if they can open the polls so that we can follow the same procedure that we're using here to select a new owner and do something with those groups.

                        I'll post here when I hear back.

                        cheers,

                        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Stan Stocker <skstocker@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Corey,
                        >
                        > I think the initial statement was that all posts were to be made to the
                        > base group, with only files going into the group1, group2, etc groups.
                        >
                        > I'd say if they are now empty kill the groups off.  If the group
                        > revitalizes and begins to need more space down the road then you can add
                        > another group when you need it without having to go through the entire
                        > poll shenanigans again.
                        >
                        > Yahoo can probably handle the group termination due to owners death
                        > pretty quickly.
                        >
                        > Thanks for keeping things going,
                        > Stan
                        >
                        > On 03/07/2012 01:49 PM, Corey Renner wrote:
                        > >

                        > > Well, we can see what our members want to do and go from there, but my
                        > > initial thought is this:  All of those sequentially numbered groups were
                        > > put-in-place to handle the overflow from this group.  JWE had scanned a
                        > > million articles and was up against Yahoo's storage limitations, so he
                        > > just kept creating more and more groups to handle the overflow.  Since
                        > > all of those articles have been removed for copyright reasons, those
                        > > other groups don't seem to serve a purpose anymore.  There is no
                        > > discussion and there is almost no content.  My instinct would be to
                        > > consolidate any content in this group, then transfer ownership and
                        > > shut-down those obsolete/abandoned groups.  Extra groups just mean more
                        > > places for spam to accumulate and additional administrative burden.
                        > >   They also potentially dilute our greatest resource, which is the
                        > > discussion between members, since some discussions might take place on
                        > > less-populated groups with limited membership  That's just my gut
                        > > instinct, I'm very open to hearing what others think we should do.
                        > >
                        > > cheers,

                        <*> Your email settings:
                           Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                           (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:
                           mlathemods-digest@yahoogroups.com
                           mlathemods-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • jim_klessig
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 9, 2012
                          Frankly, I think those "spill over" groups whould be killed, not reanimated. There were originally created to contain JEs large volume of PDFs of old articles, since those long since went away
                          :(
                          the groups are not needed.

                          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Corey" <vandal968@...> wrote:

                          > It looks like polls cannot be created in the spillover groups: mlathemods1, 2,3,4,5. I sent an email to my contact at Yahoo to ask if they can open the polls so that we can follow the same procedure that we're using here to select a new owner and do something with those groups.
                          >
                          > I'll post here when I hear back.
                          >
                          > cheers,
                          >
                          > --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Stan Stocker <skstocker@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Corey,
                          > >
                          > > I think the initial statement was that all posts were to be made to the
                          > > base group, with only files going into the group1, group2, etc groups.
                          > >
                          > > I'd say if they are now empty kill the groups off. If the group
                          > > revitalizes and begins to need more space down the road then you can add
                          > > another group when you need it without having to go through the entire
                          > > poll shenanigans again.
                          > >
                          > > Yahoo can probably handle the group termination due to owners death
                          > > pretty quickly.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for keeping things going,
                          > > Stan
                          > >
                          > > On 03/07/2012 01:49 PM, Corey Renner wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > > Well, we can see what our members want to do and go from there, but my
                          > > > initial thought is this: All of those sequentially numbered groups were
                          > > > put-in-place to handle the overflow from this group. JWE had scanned a
                          > > > million articles and was up against Yahoo's storage limitations, so he
                          > > > just kept creating more and more groups to handle the overflow. Since
                          > > > all of those articles have been removed for copyright reasons, those
                          > > > other groups don't seem to serve a purpose anymore. There is no
                          > > > discussion and there is almost no content. My instinct would be to
                          > > > consolidate any content in this group, then transfer ownership and
                          > > > shut-down those obsolete/abandoned groups. Extra groups just mean more
                          > > > places for spam to accumulate and additional administrative burden.
                          > > > They also potentially dilute our greatest resource, which is the
                          > > > discussion between members, since some discussions might take place on
                          > > > less-populated groups with limited membership That's just my gut
                          > > > instinct, I'm very open to hearing what others think we should do.
                          > > >
                          > > > cheers,

                        • Corey Renner
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 9, 2012
                            That's my thought as-well, transfer the content and shut them down, but I'll go along with whatever the group thinks is best.  In either case, the first step is to elect a new owner since only an owner has sufficient power to run a group or close it.

                            cheers,