Re: [mlathemods] mlathemods group closing down, being replaced by ml_lathemods group

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2012
      The Barstock Engine Group had the same problem after JWE died.  It was a simple matter for the sole remaining moderator to obtain ownership of the group.  He just had to contact Yahoo and hold an election.  I think it took about a week.

      I'm the owner of the 600+ member mini-mills group.  It's very hard to get a new group established.  IMHO you'd be much more successful if you revitalized this one.

      If you want to discuss it do it here or via private email.  I won't be joining the new group.

      Rob
      http://www.MachinistBlog.com/

      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
        I'm a member of many groups who have thousands of members and almost no one says anything.  But they do speak up if someone does asks a question and that was just demonstrated here.

        This group can be revitalized if you encourage people to ask questions. It's something I have to do on my group every once in awhile, especially in the summer..   I get 3 or 4 new members asking to join each week and almost all of them say they are new mini-mill owners/home machinists with questions but very few actually speak up and ask them. But when they do they get great answers.

        You might get some from here to join your new group but what makes you think you're going to any others?  Anyone who finds you is going to see that you're a new group with few members, no history, files, photos or anything.  And in addition there are lots of web sites and forums now that are filled with well documented lathe mods.

        If you truly want to keep a discussion group about mini-lathe mods going then contact Yahoo and get ownership of this one.  It's not hard and the owner of barstockengines can tell you how.  And stop encouraging members to leave this one for one that has almost no chance of success.

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
          Let me open with the disclaimer that I subscribe to both metal working
          lists and political lists. But I strongly prefer that they be kept
          separate. I commend the listmasters of my various metalworking lists for
          keeping politics and other extraneous subjects out! Oddly my political
          lists never veer off into discussions of metalworking! I will give the
          ml_lathemods list a shot to see if it is (1)apolitical and (2)
          interesting! Bill in Boulder
        • larry robinson

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2012
              Don't forget that this & most of his other groups were created solely to provide places to post his extensive collection of scanned articles from out of print magazines. After the current owner(s) of the defunct magazines threatened legal action, JWE removed the files. We're all still waiting for the legally purchasable files from the magazine owners. He'd even offered his scanned files to the current owners!

              Roy

              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

              > Everyone probably knows that JWE died a few months ago, he was the founder
              > and owner of this group. Apparently, he made me a moderator of the group
              > which is something that I wasn't aware of until this morning.
              >
              > I received an email today from Neil Morrison (addressed to moderator)
              > pointing out that spammers were filling the LINKS section with links to
              > spammy websites. I deleted the bad links, but when I attempted to delete
              > the accounts of the spammers, I discovered that I do not have adequate
              > permissions to delete accounts. ONLY JWE could do this, and he is
              > no-longer with us. I thought that promoting another member to moderator
              > status would be a wise move, and discovered that I also do not have
              > permission to do that. I am also not able to approve new members. I've
              > tried to see if Yahoo can do anything and they will not, despite the rumors
              > that a moderator can be voted-in, etc. it appears that they will not
              > intervene.
              >
              > Since this group is effectively dead and unmanageable, I have created a new
              > group called ml_lathemods which is intended to replace it. I am asking
              > that everyone please JOIN that group and LEAVE this one. I will not allow
              > any new files or messages to be added to the old group, and in a few days I
              > will begin deleting the content that is already here. My plan is for the
              > new group to become as vibrant as the old one used to be before JWE passed.
              >
              > This link will take you to a photos folder in the new group. I have posted
              > two screen captures, the first shows my permissions as moderator of the old
              > group. The second shows JWE's permissions in that same group. You will
              > probably need to click VIEW, LARGE to be able to see the problem.

              > Please join that new group, and don't forget to leave this old one (when
              > searching for a group, the # of members determines the rank in the search
              > results). We will have multiple owner's and moderators so that this
              > problem doesn't repeat itself, and this group will be allowed to range
              > off-topic more than my other groups usually do out of respect for JWE.
              >
              > Disagree? Think I'm a jerk? Tell me over there.
              >
              > See you on the other side.
              >
              > cheers,

            • Tony Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                > Let me open with the disclaimer that I subscribe to both metal
                > working lists and political lists. But I strongly prefer that they be kept
                > separate. I commend the listmasters of my various metalworking lists for
                > keeping politics and other extraneous subjects out! Oddly my political
                lists
                > never veer off into discussions of metalworking! I will give the
                ml_lathemods
                > list a shot to see if it is (1)apolitical and (2)
                > interesting! Bill in Boulder

                Given the history of this group....

                Tony
              • Tony Smith
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012

                  Yahoo ignore you unless you’re the owner, even then they ignore you.

                  Any content in the files section (the little that is left after the legal threats) will need to be copied manually.  Spammers filling it full of crap doesn’t help, that’s why many groups only let the owner or moderator add files.

                  I thought moderators had more power than Corey seems to have.  I’m sure they could remove members in the part.

                  Tony

                  Corey,

                  Will Yahoo help you transfer the content?  I would think it would be easy for them to do that.  You might tell them what you are doing by having everyone delete their membership to the old group and joining the new one.  If they see if happening, maybe they would help.  Just an idea.

                  Larry

                • MERTON B BAKER
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                    Probably depends entirely on how the owner set it up.   Mert

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 4, 2012
                      Tony Smith wrote:
                      > Given the history of this group....
                      >
                      > Tony

                      Tony, you are a cynic! Bill, the optimist!