RIP James W. Early

  • Jim E.
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 22, 2011
      The attached note prompted to go to his place of residence and seek
      more information. Per his neighbors, he had told the mail delivery
      person that he hadn't been feeling well. In the following days
      unretrieved mail and packages were noted. His neighbors broke in - he
      was found next to his bed, apparently deceased for a couple of days.

      I lived close to James, and have been an acquaintance for almost 15
      years. We first met when he made a large purchase (to reduce the per
      unit cost) of left-hand taps for the 7x10 group for those who wanted to
      modify their crosslides. He invited me to his place (a very crowded
      one-bedroom apartment at that time) and we had periodic contact ever
      since. One of his biggest thrills was the purchase of a California
      bungalow style home on a narrow little street in a working class area of
      Long Beach, California. It was in one of its rooms that Chris Wood of
      LittleMachineShop.com documented the bed conversion process while
      watching me struggle upgrading my 7x10 to 7x12.

      James William Early was an inspiration and tremendous aid to some (like
      me), a pain in the @#$ to those with whom he differed politically, and
      an enigma to the rest who couldn't quite figure out where he was coming
      from. To those who knew him personally, he was a kind, helpful,
      generous soul with a big heart, a great laugh, and proud of his
      accomplishments in the areas of machining, tooling, and publishing of
      the ME articles for the enjoyment of his fellow HSMs. As I tearfully
      write this, I know a great influence has passed from me, and I greatly
      feel the loss.

      James: Take care & say Hi to Uncle Rabid for us. You two should get
      along well.

      Graciously,
      James William Endsley (aka Jim E.)
      Lakewood, Calif.
      All Hail Rube Goldberg!

      Carl Carlsen wrote:

      > I'm sure that many of us have run across "JWE" in our machine and little
      > engine hobby. James W. Early, or "JWE" as he was generally called, was
      > a professional machinist and a great help to many of us. You may
      > recall the "multitude" of old ME articles that he had posted on various
      > Yahoo Groups until the new management of ME threatened legal action and
      > he was forced to remove many of them?
      >
      > A member of my Quorn Owner's group reported getting a snail mail
      > returned with the notation, "undeliverable,addressee deceased". That
      > was our first clue and for the last 15 days we have been trying to find
      > out if it was true or not. Then another member reported today that he
      > has received confirmation that indeed JWE passed away between July 20 -
      > 26th. That is a tragedy. As I recall, JWE lived in the "Long
      > Beach, CA" area. I will miss him very much.
      >
      > Carl Carlsen
    • Mark Wendt
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
        Ah jeez. Another friend passes on. RIP Jim. I'm really going to miss
        you. Way too young.

        Mark

      • MERTON B BAKER
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
          Thank you for that post.  Mr. Early will be sorely missed, & I, for one, thought his politics every bit as sound as his advice on machine tooling.

          Mert

          Carl Carlsen wrote:

          > I'm sure that many of us have run across "JWE" in our machine and little
          > engine hobby. James W. Early, or "JWE" as he was generally called, was
          > a professional machinist and a great help to many of us. You may
          > recall the "multitude" of old ME articles that he had posted on various
          > Yahoo Groups until the new management of ME threatened legal action and
          > he was forced to remove many of them?
          >
          > A member of my Quorn Owner's group reported getting a snail mail
          > returned with the notation, "undeliverable,addressee deceased". That
          > was our first clue and for the last 15 days we have been trying to find
          > out if it was true or not. Then another member reported today that he
          > has received confirmation that indeed JWE passed away between July 20 -
          > 26th. That is a tragedy. As I recall, JWE lived in the "Long
          > Beach, CA" area. I will miss him very much.
          >
          > Carl Carlsen

        • Thomas Janstrom
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
            Damn another fine man gone to the great machine shop upstairs.

            You and Uncle Rabid will indeed get one well. I do miss Uncle a lot, he was a great friend, and now I've lost another machining friend. Even if we never met in person.....

            Little more I can say, 'cept keep the chips flying James!

            Thomas, Down Under.

            Carl Carlsen wrote:

            > I'm sure that many of us have run across "JWE" in our machine and little
            > engine hobby. James W. Early, or "JWE" as he was generally called, was
            > a professional machinist and a great help to many of us. You may
            > recall the "multitude" of old ME articles that he had posted on various
            > Yahoo Groups until the new management of ME threatened legal action and
            > he was forced to remove many of them?
            >
            > A member of my Quorn Owner's group reported getting a snail mail
            > returned with the notation, "undeliverable,addressee deceased". That
            > was our first clue and for the last 15 days we have been trying to find
            > out if it was true or not. Then another member reported today that he
            > has received confirmation that indeed JWE passed away between July 20 -
            > 26th. That is a tragedy. As I recall, JWE lived in the "Long
            > Beach, CA" area. I will miss him very much.
            >
            > Carl Carlsen

          • MERTON B BAKER
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
              The price of a long life is losing all your friends, some of whom you've never met, but will miss, anyway.   Mert at 83

              Carl Carlsen wrote:

              > I'm sure that many of us have run across "JWE" in our machine and little
              > engine hobby. James W. Early, or "JWE" as he was generally called, was
              > a professional machinist and a great help to many of us. You may
              > recall the "multitude" of old ME articles that he had posted on various
              > Yahoo Groups until the new management of ME threatened legal action and
              > he was forced to remove many of them?
              >
              > A member of my Quorn Owner's group reported getting a snail mail
              > returned with the notation, "undeliverable,addressee deceased". That
              > was our first clue and for the last 15 days we have been trying to find
              > out if it was true or not. Then another member reported today that he
              > has received confirmation that indeed JWE passed away between July 20 -
              > 26th. That is a tragedy. As I recall, JWE lived in the "Long
              > Beach, CA" area. I will miss him very much.
              >
              > Carl Carlsen

            • Nick DeFeo
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
                JWE's experience and advice will sorely be missed.

                Carl Carlsen wrote:

                > I'm sure that many of us have run across "JWE" in our machine and little
                > engine hobby. James W. Early, or "JWE" as he was generally called, was
                > a professional machinist and a great help to many of us. You may
                > recall the "multitude" of old ME articles that he had posted on various
                > Yahoo Groups until the new management of ME threatened legal action and
                > he was forced to remove many of them?
                >
                > A member of my Quorn Owner's group reported getting a snail mail
                > returned with the notation, "undeliverable,addressee deceased". That
                > was our first clue and for the last 15 days we have been trying to find
                > out if it was true or not. Then another member reported today that he
                > has received confirmation that indeed JWE passed away between July 20 -
                > 26th. That is a tragedy. As I recall, JWE lived in the "Long
                > Beach, CA" area. I will miss him very much.
                >
                > Carl Carlsen

              • Corey Renner
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
                  This is the only bad thing about hobby machining, the high attrition rate.

                  On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Mark Wendt <mark.wendt@...> wrote:
                  Ah jeez.  Another friend passes on.  RIP Jim.  I'm really going to miss
                  you.  Way too young.

                  Mark

                • Darren M
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
                    Amen to that! I too will miss him. I thoroughly enjoyed his thoughts, comments and beliefs. I only wish I had found the opportunity to visit him while I was there last fall.

                    Darren M.

                    --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "MERTON B BAKER" <mertbaker@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you for that post. Mr. Early will be sorely missed, & I, for one,
                    > thought his politics every bit as sound as his advice on machine tooling.
                    >
                    > Mert

                  • Bill Williams
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
                      MERTON B BAKER wrote:

                      > The price of a long life is losing all your friends, some of whom you've
                      > never met, but will miss, anyway. Mert at 83

                      Sad but true. At 70 I have already lost several that I sorely miss. On
                      the up side you get to attend the funerals of those you didn't like! Bill
                    • gerry waclawiak
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 23, 2011
                        Like life itself it may be 100% for many as it's the sort of hobby that attracts many in later life when they have more time (and hopefully money) to take up a serious hobby for the rest of their days.
                        It's  always sad to lose someone you have shared an interest with whatever their age
                        RIP James, you will be sorely missed by many in life and the groups you engaged in

                        Gerry
                        Leeds UK

                        To: mlathemods@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 15, 2011
                          I've been away from the groups for a few months - sad to hear of JWE's passing...