Re: [mlathemods] CDCOTools.com: 3 inch Screwless Vise

  • aalloway
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2011
      John,
      I have (2) two of the "screwless vises" a 2 inch and 3 inch. Made my own "hold downs" for both. Free drawings at LittleMachineShop.com.
      However, I had the same issues with both, the "set screws" would not hold the "cross pin" in place. After a couple of small projects the "pin" would loosen up  and slide around. The original "set screw" was the "standard blade" screwdriver type, on both vises. No amount of "Loc-Tight", "Purmatex" ect. helped, I tried several "fixes" The cure I finally landed on was to machine narrow flats on the pins. Used an 1/8 inch "carbide" end mill. I also replaced the "screwdriver" type set screws with a "hex" head set screws coupled with "Loc-Tight". Seems to have done the trick!
      Another "Mod" that makes things a world of easier was to machine an oval slot in the "screwlesse's" "screw" head. In said slot I "brazed" a short piece of 1/4 inch "mild steel round stock" bent in a shallow "U". No more lookin' for the hex wrench.  Love my vises, don't we all!!
      Allen A.
      Ketchikan, Alaska