Re: [mlathemods] Re: OT: DIY Stink Bug Traps

  • Bill Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2011
      MERTON B BAKER wrote:

      > Wasps. With a Stink bug infestation like those pictured, 3 or 4 of the
      > soda bottle traps should work wonders. What would get wasps
      > interested? where I am, at least at the moment I find maybe one or two
      > stick bugs a week. Not enuf to bother with a trap. Wasps, though, are
      > dumb & heavily armed.
      >
      > Mert

      Mert, wasps and especially young queens starting out, are attracted
      to meat! Bill
    • oldstudentmsgt
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
        Mert, back in the 60's, my dad made similar traps for yellow-jackets baited with a piece of fish. He used old glass wine bottles, IIRC. Hot wire to make the cut. I think 2 or 3-liter modern plastic soda bottles would work MUCH better! ;)

        Or just a dish, with a chunk of fish hanging over it, and it full of soapy water...

        Different baits for different critters, should work just fine!

        HTH!

        Bill in OKC

        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "MERTON B BAKER" <mertbaker@...> wrote:

        > Wasps. With a Stink bug infestation like those pictured, 3 or 4 of the soda bottle traps should work wonders. What would get wasps interested? where I am, at least at the moment I find maybe one or two stick bugs a week. Not enuf to bother with a trap. Wasps, though, are dumb & heavily armed.
        >
        > Mert

      • OneBike2Ride
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
           Not at all, it isn't "my" video it is a TV News station website.. (WJAC TV)

          On 6/4/2011 2:01 PM, oldstudentmsgt wrote:

          Very cool! John, do you mind if I cross post this to a couple of the prepper lists I belong to?

          Bill in OKC?

          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, OneBike2Ride <steelchipper@...> wrote:

          > Make your own stink bug traps out of old soda bottles...
          >
          > Video:
          > http://www.wjactv.com/video/28028425/index.html
          >
          > Cheers,
          > John Z.
          > --
          > "Trying to tax a nation into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and
          > trying to lift yourself by the handles." - Winston Churchill

        • Jim E.
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 6, 2011
            We use these...

            http://www.harborfreight.com/fatal-funnel-wasp-and-hornet-traps-94139.html

            Graciously,
            Jim E.
            Lakewood, Calif.
            All Hail Rube Goldberg!

            keith gutshall wrote:

            > Hi Bill
            > I wonder if that would work for other types of bugs?I have a few I need
            > to get rid of.
            > The only problem for me is keeping the kids for playingwith them.
            >
            > Keith
            >
            > Deep Run Portage
            > Back Shop
            > " The Lizard Works"

          • MERTON B BAKER
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 6, 2011
              Thank you!  I have one, very similar.  What do they suggest for "attractant"; bait, I call it.  The one I have doesn't attract.

              Mert

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 6, 2011
                half-cooked meat w/grease therefrom...

                Graciously,
                Jim E.
                Lakewood, Calif.
                All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                MERTON B BAKER wrote:

                > Thank you! I have one, very similar. What do they suggest for
                > "attractant"; bait, I call it. The one I have doesn't attract.
                >
                > Mert

              • Douglas Murray
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 6, 2011
                  That some lathe modification you guys have. Are all your metal lathes infested with stink bugs?