OT: DIY Stink Bug Traps

  • OneBike2Ride
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2011
       Make your own stink bug traps out of old soda bottles...

       Video:
      http://www.wjactv.com/video/28028425/index.html

       Cheers,
       John Z.
      --
      “Trying to tax a nation into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to lift yourself by the handles.” - Winston Churchill
    • oldstudentmsgt
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2011
        Very cool! John, do you mind if I cross post this to a couple of the prepper lists I belong to?

        Bill in OKC?

        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, OneBike2Ride <steelchipper@...> wrote:

        > Make your own stink bug traps out of old soda bottles...
        >
        > Video:
        > http://www.wjactv.com/video/28028425/index.html
        >
        > Cheers,
        > John Z.
        > --
        > "Trying to tax a nation into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and
        > trying to lift yourself by the handles." - Winston Churchill

      • keith gutshall
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 4, 2011
          Hi Bill
           I wonder if that would work for other types of bugs?I have a few I need to get rid of.
           The only problem for me is keeping the kids for playingwith them.

           Keith

          Deep Run Portage
          Back Shop
          " The Lizard Works"
          Very cool! John, do you mind if I cross post this to a couple of the prepper lists I belong to?

          Bill in OKC?

          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, OneBike2Ride <steelchipper@...> wrote:

          > Make your own stink bug traps out of old soda bottles...
          >
          > Video:
          > http://www.wjactv.com/video/28028425/index.html
          >
          > Cheers,
          > John Z.
          > --
          > "Trying to tax a nation into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and
          > trying to lift yourself by the handles." - Winston Churchill

        • MERTON B BAKER
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 4, 2011

            Wasps.  With a Stink bug infestation like those pictured, 3 or 4 of the soda bottle traps should work wonders.  What would get wasps interested?  where I am, at least at the moment I find maybe one or two stick bugs a week.  Not enuf to bother with a trap.  Wasps, though, are dumb & heavily armed.

            Mert

            Very cool! John, do you mind if I cross post this to a couple of the prepper lists I belong to?

            Bill in OKC?

            --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, OneBike2Ride <steelchipper@...> wrote:

            > Make your own stink bug traps out of old soda bottles...
            >
            > Video:
            > http://www.wjactv.com/video/28028425/index.html
            >
            > Cheers,
            > John Z.
            > --
            > "Trying to tax a nation into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and
            > trying to lift yourself by the handles." - Winston Churchill

          • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 4, 2011
              Mert

              For wasps, jam, strawberry, plumb or blackcurrant. For slugs.. stale beer.

              Malcolm

              Wasps.  With a Stink bug infestation like those pictured, 3 or 4 of the soda bottle traps should work wonders.  What would get wasps interested?  where I am, at least at the moment I find maybe one or two stick bugs a week.  Not enuf to bother with a trap.  Wasps, though, are dumb & heavily armed.

              Mert

              Very cool! John, do you mind if I cross post this to a couple of the prepper lists I belong to?

              Bill in OKC?

              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, OneBike2Ride <steelchipper@...> wrote:

              > Make your own stink bug traps out of old soda bottles...
              >
              > Video:
              > http://www.wjactv.com/video/28028425/index.html
              >
              > Cheers,
              > John Z.
              > --
              > "Trying to tax a nation into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and
              > trying to lift yourself by the handles." - Winston Churchill

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 4, 2011
                Cider vinegar is also a good bait for yellow jackets. Neighbor hangs 1/2 gallon milk cartons with a cup of vinegar in it in his apple trees. Wasps enter and can't get out. Usually drown.

                --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Malcolm Parker-Lisberg <mparkerlisberg@...> wrote:

                > Mert
                >
                > For wasps, jam, strawberry, plumb or blackcurrant. For slugs.. stale beer.
                >

                > Malcolm
                >
                > I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!

              • Bill Williams
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 4, 2011
                  MERTON B BAKER wrote:

                  > Wasps. With a Stink bug infestation like those pictured, 3 or 4 of the
                  > soda bottle traps should work wonders. What would get wasps
                  > interested? where I am, at least at the moment I find maybe one or two
                  > stick bugs a week. Not enuf to bother with a trap. Wasps, though, are
                  > dumb & heavily armed.
                  >
                  > Mert

                  Mert, wasps and especially young queens starting out, are attracted
                  to meat! Bill
                • oldstudentmsgt
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
                    Mert, back in the 60's, my dad made similar traps for yellow-jackets baited with a piece of fish. He used old glass wine bottles, IIRC. Hot wire to make the cut. I think 2 or 3-liter modern plastic soda bottles would work MUCH better! ;)

                    Or just a dish, with a chunk of fish hanging over it, and it full of soapy water...

                    Different baits for different critters, should work just fine!

                    HTH!

                    Bill in OKC

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2011
                       Not at all, it isn't "my" video it is a TV News station website.. (WJAC TV)

                      On 6/4/2011 2:01 PM, oldstudentmsgt wrote:

                      Very cool! John, do you mind if I cross post this to a couple of the prepper lists I belong to?

                      Bill in OKC?

                      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, OneBike2Ride <steelchipper@...> wrote:

                      > Make your own stink bug traps out of old soda bottles...
                      >
                      > Video:
                      > http://www.wjactv.com/video/28028425/index.html
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > John Z.
                      > --
                      > "Trying to tax a nation into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and
                      > trying to lift yourself by the handles." - Winston Churchill

                    • Jim E.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 6, 2011
                        We use these...

                        http://www.harborfreight.com/fatal-funnel-wasp-and-hornet-traps-94139.html

                        Graciously,
                        Jim E.
                        Lakewood, Calif.
                        All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 6, 2011
                          Thank you!  I have one, very similar.  What do they suggest for "attractant"; bait, I call it.  The one I have doesn't attract.

                          Mert

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 6, 2011
                            half-cooked meat w/grease therefrom...

                            Graciously,
                            Jim E.
                            Lakewood, Calif.
                            All Hail Rube Goldberg!

                            MERTON B BAKER wrote:

                            > Thank you! I have one, very similar. What do they suggest for
                            > "attractant"; bait, I call it. The one I have doesn't attract.
                            >
                            > Mert

                          • Douglas Murray
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 6, 2011
                              That some lathe modification you guys have. Are all your metal lathes infested with stink bugs?