Long taper jig project finished

  • duwayne
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 13, 2003
      Well I finally finished the long taper attachment I have been
      working on for quite a while now. I posted a set of pictures on my
      web site http://www.duwaynesplace.com and hope to get a drawing
      finished and posted some time soon.
      DuWayne
    • Barry Nesheim
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 14, 2003
        Duwayne..nice job...is that on a mini lathe?..would it fit on a 9x20?
        Barry
        Well I finally finished the long taper attachment I have been
        working on for quite a while now. I posted a set of pictures on my
        web site http://www.duwaynesplace.com and hope to get a drawing
        finished and posted some time soon.
        DuWayne

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • duwayne
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 16, 2003
          It is on a 7x10 should be able to modify for use on a 9x20 may
          have to add a spacer to bring it out far enough and change the
          height of the end pieces for the cross shaft, and connecting bar to
          cross slide.
          DuWayne

          --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Barry Nesheim" <wcbarry@h...>
        • j.w.early@worldnet.att.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 16, 2003
            Yes and things to look for in the future will be now that I understand how the
            telescoping lead screw on the SB heavy 10 works thanks to Anthony and the box
            of pieces that is still my heavy 10 when my current workload dies down there
            will be an adaption of this that can be used on any machine. But I want to
            build one first to make sure it works before I say to much more.

            And Duwayne are you going to sell the base castings as you were originally
            planning to.
            Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom.

            John Adams, Defense of the Constitutions, 1787

            > It is on a 7x10 should be able to modify for use on a 9x20 may
            > have to add a spacer to bring it out far enough and change the
            > height of the end pieces for the cross shaft, and connecting bar to
            > cross slide.
            > DuWayne

          • duwayne
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 19, 2003
              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, j.w.early@w... wrote:
              > Yes and things to look for in the future will be now that I
              understand how the
              > telescoping lead screw on the SB heavy 10 works thanks to Anthony
              and the box
              > of pieces that is still my heavy 10 when my current workload dies
              down there
              > will be an adaption of this that can be used on any machine. But I
              want to
              > build one first to make sure it works before I say to much more.

              I would like to see the drawings for a quick release for the
              leadscrew. Removing the lead screw nut works ok but would like
              something a little quicker .

              > And Duwayne are you going to sell the base castings as you were
              originally
              > planning to.

              Yes I will make up a few for people who want them, just contact me
              at duwayne@...

              DuWayne
            • JS. EARLY
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 19, 2003
                Duwayne
                I have put two extracts from the SB parts list in the photos under TaperIdea
                with some comments under the picture for explanation of how it works. This
                should explain how it works, if not I will work on something better.

                The real beauty of this system is that all you need to do to switch from
                straight turning to taper turning and back again is to lock and release the
                locking handle to the taper slide. There is no need to do anything else
                period. Now there is an idea lurking here for the very lazy or very simple,
                and that is to control slide function with the taper slide all the time.
                Have the cross feed screw anchored to the taper slide and the cross feed
                screw floating in and out of the handle shank as with the H10 layout.

                By doing this the straightness of the cut is controlled by the taper slide
                while the part diameter is controlled by the cross feed handle. It would be
                a little different but I think it will work.
                They define a republic to be a government of laws, and not of men.

                John Adams, Nocangul No. 7, 1775

                > > Yes and things to look for in the future will be now that I
                > understand how the
                > > telescoping lead screw on the SB heavy 10 works thanks to Anthony
                > and the box
                > > of pieces that is still my heavy 10 when my current workload dies
                > down there
                > > will be an adaption of this that can be used on any machine. But I
                > want to
                > > build one first to make sure it works before I say to much more.
                > >

                > I would like to see the drawings for a quick release for the
                > leadscrew. Removing the lead screw nut works ok but would like
                > something a little quicker .
                >
                > > And Duwayne are you going to sell the base castings as you were
                > originally
                > > planning to.
                >

                > Yes I will make up a few for people who want them, just contact me
                > at duwayne@...
                >
                > DuWayne
              • Bill Collins
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 20, 2003
                  Hi DuWayne,I finally got access to your site.I had several corrupt
                  files on my PC and it crashed.Thats why I couldn't access the site
                  before.I did a reformat and set everything back up again.And I got
                  access with no problems at all.The taper attachment looks great,nice
                  work.Although I don't own a mini lathe any longer,the photos you have
                  of it can give me an idea of how I can build one for my SB9C.Keep up
                  the good work.Thanks and God Bless.
                  Bill C.
                • dragonpit2000
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2003
                    --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "JS. EARLY" <j.w.early@w...> wrote:
                    > Duwayne
                    JWE,
                    I've ran a lathe with a taper attachment where you
                    do not disingage the leadscrew but the screw pitch
                    was a lot courser do you think with the finer pitch
                    leadscrew on the 7x's that it would turn when pulled
                    from the taper attachment. I might not be saying this
                    right.

                    The Wood Dragon http://tejasdragon.com/Today.html
                  • JS. EARLY
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 3, 2003
                      The feed screw does not need to turn for the taper slide to work. When doing
                      normal turning the slotted extension bar moves in and out with the cross
                      slide but when it is clamped to the taper slide the cross slide will follow
                      the movement directed by the taper slide while the rear threaded portion of
                      the feed screw telescopes in and out of the handle portion on the keyway.

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 3, 2003
                        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "JS. EARLY" <j.w.early@w...> wrote:
                        > The feed screw does not need to turn for the taper slide to work. When doing
                        > normal turning the slotted extension bar moves in and out with the

                        Got it I could not get the one I use to run out of my head.

                        The Wood Dragon http://tejasdragon.com/Today.html