Re: Lathe Storage

  • roylowenthal
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2003
      Back in the days of manual typewriters, there were desks that
      could hide a typewriter or produce it at proper typing height.

      Roy
      --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, silectric@a... wrote:
      > It might be worth checking out some of the systems once used for
      sewing
      > machines. Many older machines folded into a piece of furniture,
      which seems
      > much the same as using a small machine tool within a domestic
      living
      > environment.
      >
      > Just a thought.

    • Charles Eisenhuth
      Message 2 of 5 , May 18 5:00 PM
        DOn't you think that the weight of a combined lateh/ bench unit will
        be an insurmountable issue for a single user?? By the time you make
        a base that is solid. add the lathe and then some tools you are
        looking at hernia territory. Just from a dreaming standpoint, you
        will need sturdy handles the entire length of each end, a cover over
        the lathe (like a little dog house) that locks on with a couple of
        hasps, a lower shelf for tools storage but highe enough that it
        doesn't hang up on steps. I'd say that the table top should be made
        of 2 x's or double sheets of 3/4" plywood. OK, that's my 2.5 cents
        worth.

        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "too_many_tools"
        <too_many_tools@y...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > On the subject of storing a bench lathe, has anyone come up with a
        > novel way of having a lathe bench and hauling crate combined. I am
        > thinking of perhaps combining the two features so one can use the
        > bottom of the crate for a lathe bench. Also combining features to
        > make it easier to haul up a set of steps by the single user/mover
        > would be really neat too.
        >
        > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Too_many_Tools
      • Bela Beke
        Message 3 of 5 , May 19 12:58 AM
          > In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "too_many_tools" wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > On the subject of storing a bench lathe, has anyone come up with a
          > > novel way of having a lathe bench and hauling crate combined. I am
          > > thinking of perhaps combining the two features so one can use the
          > > bottom of the crate for a lathe bench. Also combining features to
          > > make it easier to haul up a set of steps by the single user/mover
          > > would be really neat too.
          > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
          > > Thanks in advance
          > > Too_many_Tools
          I was planning to make an enclosed ,insulated crate ,heated by 25w light
          globe.I have an unheated workshop .Open the lid when I need to use the lathe.
          I think if one makes the mounting frame of 25x25x1.2mm square tube ,it
          should be light enough to move by a single (strong )person ,or two small
          persons.
          Of course I would take all the movable stuff off the lathe and out of the
          under lathe storage,while it is moved up the steps .
          Bela