Re: bearings or bushes - lathe backgear design

  • Flash Gordon
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 29, 2010
      Hello,

      Two problems to beaware of when using solid bearings. One the spindle shaft will need to be micro-polished to get any time out of it. Two the top speed is reduced. A 9" SB with solid bearings should not be run over 1000 rpm. And it has to have a constant oil supply, you keep adding it as it leaks out the ends of the spindle and wipe it off the walls and floor and ceiling.

      There is no magic bullet.. trade speed... needed for carbide insert cutters or better finish at slower speeds.

      I have a 7x10 and a 9" SB so I am covered.

      Ed