Re: [mlathemods] ping modifying a 7 x10

  • Mike Nicewonger
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27, 2010
      On Feb 27, 2010, at 6:33 PM, Corey Renner wrote:

      > For the cost of the conversion, you would be better-off selling your
      > 7x10 and picking up a 7x14 when you see a deal on Craigslist.

      I'll second this. Having owned a 7x10.

      --
      Mike N
    • Flash Gordon
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27, 2010
        thanks guys for the quick answer... something to consider.

        --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

        > For the cost of the conversion, you would be better-off selling your
        > 7x10 and picking up a 7x14 when you see a deal on Craigslist.

        > On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Flash Gordon
        > <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:
        > > Anybody home?
        > >
        > > I am thinking of getting the 14" bed from LMC. Anybody try this and are there any big problems?
        > >
        > > Also they have a milling attachment. Is it worth it if I only need to mill some slots in aluminum or square an end once in awhile.
        > >
        > > Ed

      • Glen Hoag
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27, 2010
          That will depend on the availability of 7x14 deals in your area, what
          you can get for your 7x10, and how long you want to wait for the best deal.

          In addition, if you have made extensive internal modifications to
          your 7x10, such as metal gears and/or roller bearings, you may be
          better off upgrading the existing unit.

          --Glen

          At 05:33 PM 2/27/2010, Corey Renner <vandal968@...> wrote:

          >For the cost of the conversion, you would be better-off selling your
          >7x10 and picking up a 7x14 when you see a deal on Craigslist.

          >On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Flash Gordon
          ><<mailto:eschwerkolt%40roadrunner.com>eschwerkolt@...> wrote:
          > > Anybody home?
          > >
          > > I am thinking of getting the 14" bed from LMC. Anybody try this
          > and are there any big problems?
          > >
          > > Also they have a milling attachment. Is it worth it if I only
          > need to mill some slots in aluminum or square an end once in awhile.
          > >
          > > Ed
        • Jim E.
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2010
            I was part of the "evaluation team" when the 12" bed mod became
            available. Assuming it's the same process just more length, it's a cinch.

            Graciously,
            Jim E.
            Lakewood, CA
            All Hail Rube Goldberg!

            Flash Gordon wrote:
            > Anybody home?
            >
            > I am thinking of getting the 14" bed from LMC. Anybody try this and are there any big problems?
            >
            > Also they have a milling attachment. Is it worth it if I only need to mill some slots in aluminum or square an end once in awhile.
            >
            > Ed

          • andyf1108
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010
              I got one of those milling slides, and have reservations about it - see
              http://andysmachines.weebly.com/the-vertical-milling-slide---criticisms.html . That shows it on a type of 7x12 which is little known on your side of the Atlantic, but the shortcomings are equally applicable to the more usual mini-lathes.

              Andy

              --- In mlathemods@yahoogroups.com, "Flash Gordon" <eschwerkolt@...> wrote:

              > Anybody home?
              >
              > I am thinking of getting the 14" bed from LMC. Anybody try this and are there any big problems?
              >
              > Also they have a milling attachment. Is it worth it if I only need to mill some slots in aluminum or square an end once in awhile.
              >
              > Ed

            • Bill Williams
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010
                andyf1108 wrote:
                > I got one of those milling slides, and have reservations about it -
                > see:

                <http://andysmachines.weebly.com/the-vertical-milling-slide---criticisms.html

                > That shows it on a type of 7x12 which is little known on your side
                > of the Atlantic, but the shortcomings are equally applicable to the
                > more usual mini-lathes. Andy

                Thanks Andy for your critique. I had some of the same issues with the
                one bought for my 12x36 Atlas. The overhang is an inherent problem
                stemming from the general design of lathes! Compounds are located to put
                the tool travel mostly on the operator's side of the
                work and allow limited movement past center. Mills need that travel
                centered on the work holder. A fundamental disconnect! I did not
                have the same degree of travel issues you found but they are still
                there! I fixed all of the travel issues with a new, tee slotted,
                crossfeed table that allows everything to be located as needed but
                by then I had a "Real" mill! Still I hope some day to devise a small
                gear hobbing machine based on this attachment and mounted on
                the lathe! Bill in Boulder